The Student Room Group

Higher computing science 2020/2021

For computing peeps
Reply 1
I really wished I could take Computing to Higher as I got an A in my Nat 5 prelim (Also my best result out of all of my subjects). But it's not running in my school this year because I'm literally the only one in my year group that wants to do it, I'm honestly gutted. :frown: Good luck to those who are taking Higher this year.
Original post by Voaly
I really wished I could take Computing to Higher as I got an A in my Nat 5 prelim (Also my best result out of all of my subjects). But it's not running in my school this year because I'm literally the only one in my year group that wants to do it, I'm honestly gutted. :frown: Good luck to those who are taking Higher this year.

You’re actually not alone. I have the same problem with my school because I had an A in nat 5 in S4 but this year they cancelled computing and it won’t be for next year!!!! I was really raging about this because I need it if I want to progress to uni.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
did computing higher this year. predicted a high A, if anyone needs any help just ask!
also, if you're set on doing computing science at university, you don't NEED higher computing. try to teach yourself how to code and even learn some of the course yourself. do extra reading and put that on your personal statement. I'm pretty sure as long as you've done maths, english and possibly a science, you'll be fine!
Good news from SQA: from exam paper and assignment you will be able to choose either to do: databases or web design (of course you will have software design in both components and computer systems in section 1 of the exam paper) Which is really good imo. If you don’t believe me then check SQA website for changes :smile:
Reply 5
i not the best at computing and probs will need help with the higher assignment when it comes out
are we actually getting an assignment this year? my teacher hasn't heard anything cause the SQA are ****ing excellent at keeping their mouth shut, but I've not heard if we are actually doing it or not. If it helps, higher assignments are usually released to schools at the end of January so if we haven't heard anything by then I wouldn't imagine we are doing it.
Original post by absmcgill
are we actually getting an assignment this year? my teacher hasn't heard anything cause the SQA are ****ing excellent at keeping their mouth shut, but I've not heard if we are actually doing it or not. If it helps, higher assignments are usually released to schools at the end of January so if we haven't heard anything by then I wouldn't imagine we are doing it.

:wavey: Have moved this into this year's Higher Computing thread for you - hopefully someone here can help :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey: Have moved this into this year's Higher Computing thread for you - hopefully someone here can help

thank you!
Hey,

No official assignment.

Basically, the SQA are providing the 2021 assignment to teachers, for the teachers to use at their own will, and this will be marked internally, not externally as per usual.

In other words, your teacher will likely give you an unseen SQA assignment paper, mark that assignment and then use it towards your final predicted grade.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 10
Has anyone got handed out the higher computing assignment yet?
Original post by ramjaan
Has anyone got handed out the higher computing assignment yet?

We're getting it in two weeks- currently trying to do previous ones at home- man its so much harder than N5
Reply 12
Are any of you guys thinking of taking advanced higher computing. There isn't much information about it here, was just trying to get an idea what to expect. Out of my highers, computing is by far my favourite.
Original post by chckm8
Are any of you guys thinking of taking advanced higher computing. There isn't much information about it here, was just trying to get an idea what to expect. Out of my highers, computing is by far my favourite.

I'm (hopefully) taking AH! There's only me and another person in my school who have picked it so it will be really chill I hope.

SCHOLAR has notes for AH computing if you wanted to get an idea. As far as I'm aware the course follows the same 4 units but you undertake a larger project is worth half your grade. It's technically up to you whether you want your project to be software, databases or websites but I'm sure some schools force you to pick one - software is the 'normal' for people to pick.

The course spec is here - https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecComputingScience.pdf
Edit: Ignore, I realised how old this thread is πŸ˜‚
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Saybot404
I'm (hopefully) taking AH! There's only me and another person in my school who have picked it so it will be really chill I hope.

SCHOLAR has notes for AH computing if you wanted to get an idea. As far as I'm aware the course follows the same 4 units but you undertake a larger project is worth half your grade. It's technically up to you whether you want your project to be software, databases or websites but I'm sure some schools force you to pick one - software is the 'normal' for people to pick.

The course spec is here - https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecComputingScience.pdf

Have you given any thought as to what your project may be?
Original post by chckm8
Have you given any thought as to what your project may be?

Lord, absolutely no clue whatsoever. That's for future me to worry about is my mentality πŸ˜‚.
Reply 17
Original post by Saybot404
Lord, absolutely no clue whatsoever. That's for future me to worry about is my mentality πŸ˜‚.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I've given it some thought here and there but nothing serious yet.

Quick Reply

Latest