The Student Room Group

Which Type of engineering?

Poll

Which would you study?

Which of these types of engineering do you think is the most valuable one to study?
I am torn on which one to pick so would like to know any opinions.
In my opinion, if you want to study engineering, then select Chemical Engineering. If you want to study advanced technology and IT, then select Computer Science or Software Engineering. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by dannywayles
Which of these types of engineering do you think is the most valuable one to study?
I am torn on which one to pick so would like to know any opinions.

Are you drawn to a particular career?
Original post by Kerzen
Are you drawn to a particular career?

Not really yet, I did work experience in civil/structural and it was good but couldn't see myself doing it as a job. recently been drawn to software because of how fast it is growing. Chemical seems to have less jobs but I'm not entirely sure.
Reply 4
Which A Levels are you doing?
Not really yet, I did work experience in civil/structural and it was good but couldn't see myself doing it as a job. recently been drawn to software because of how fast it is growing. Chemical seems to have less jobs but I'm not entirely sure.

Do you have any particular interests/hobbies related to those sectors? Might be worth thinking about what you really enjoy about engineering as a whole.
Original post by Kerzen
Which A Levels are you doing?

Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Spanish. Probably enjoy chemistry the most out of them but mainly enjoy problem solving.
Original post by brainzistheword
Do you have any particular interests/hobbies related to those sectors? Might be worth thinking about what you really enjoy about engineering as a whole.

I originally picked chemical because chemistry is my favourite subject and I enjoy the designing and problem solving of engineering (even though there's barely any chemistry in the actual course.) I did an amazon coding course in the first lockdown and also enjoyed that so that's what prompted me to look at software, plus the industry is growing fast.
Reply 8
(edited 3 years ago)

Haven't considered anything like that yet, the benefits look insane. I will apply for uni whatever but in the meantime might have a closer look at the options. Thank you!
Reply 10
Haven't considered anything like that yet, the benefits look insane. I will apply for uni whatever but in the meantime might have a closer look at the options. Thank you!

My pleasure.

If you could get in on one of the Naval bursary schemes to cover yourself at Uni, you would find that really handy financially. You can enquire before starting at Uni without any obligation.

The Navy also offers the chance to apply to join its University Royal Naval Units. If you want to think over the possibility of joining while you look at other careers as a student, you can dip a toe in the water by joining a Unit. If you like what you see, the option of applying for Engineer Officer will be there after graduation; there's no obligation; some URNU students join the Navy, some take the skills they have learned to other contexts. In the meantime, they have lots of fun. Each Unit has its own small ship and each summer they head off around the coast.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/bases-and-stations/training-establishments/university-royal-naval-units
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest