The Student Room Group

Making friends

Hi guys, I'm 19 halfway through my first year of uni, and because of a combination of medical illness, social anxiety and covid I haven't got any friends both at and outside of uni. Given covid means the chances of me making friends when uni returns are pretty slim, does anyone have any suggestions for how I can meet other people my age either now or over the summer, as my main goal is to try and meet new people and make friends since this is something I've struggled with so much.
Any advice appreciated,
Have you been accepted into any group chats or Facebook friends? They’re usually popular around this time of year. Dont miss out
Reply 2
I'm in a groupchat for my flat and like generic groups for the uni as a whole but no-one really posts anything like social opportunities in these, they're more like admin groups so I don't what use they'd be :/
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in a groupchat for my flat and like generic groups for the uni as a whole but no-one really posts anything like social opportunities in these, they're more like admin groups so I don't what use they'd be :/

They talk don’t they? You can even message people and chat to them. The only other option is to make friends on Facebook or find people on social media sites/societies
Reply 4
In the flat chat it's more for organising stuff, people never really just chatted so I don't know what I could initiate now since everyone's at home
Join tik tok/ twitter. Not even joking, it's quite a personal platform so you can follow people who have similar sense of humour or personality to you. If you're brave can always get bumble and go to the friends section??
Another thing is join a very specific uni society which have only a handful of members, or one which hosts regular zoom activities! There's loads of students in the same position so don't be afraid to act keen.
I'm 19, half way through my second year of uni and in the same position- luckily I at least got to experience my first term in my first year at uni, and made friends in class and in societies. Most of those friends either finished or dropped out last year though, and I haven't seen my classmates in person since march bc of covid..

There is an app for uni students to connect, Unifi, that could be worth checking out? You could also try finding a job, and making friends there?

or if you want hmu and we can be internet friends lol
Original post by ihatemyselflol
I'm 19, half way through my second year of uni and in the same position- luckily I at least got to experience my first term in my first year at uni, and made friends in class and in societies. Most of those friends either finished or dropped out last year though, and I haven't seen my classmates in person since march bc of covid..

There is an app for uni students to connect, Unifi, that could be worth checking out? You could also try finding a job, and making friends there?

or if you want hmu and we can be internet friends lol

Hard to do anything of that while in lockdown. Internet friends sounds alright till you realise you eventually want to meet the person after lockdown. Hopefully, you’ll find new friends though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending