The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering 2021 Applicants

Hey! I just wanted to ask if anyone else is applying for Biomedical Engineering this year. I'm hopefully applying to:

Imperial
KCL
UCL
QMUL
Kent

I'll be sending off my application in a few days, but I was just wondering if anyone who's applied to any of these universities has heard back from them. Or just in general who's applying to the same course!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, i have and i got an at kcl offer last month:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hbr!ics
hey, i have and i got an at kcl offer last month:smile:

Congrats on your KCL offer!! I just got mine a few days ago!!! I really like the uni and the facilities.
Hello, I am also applying for BME this year and I am an International student.

My choices are:
ICL
UCL
Loughborough
Strathclyde
Cambridge (Rejected already lol)

Still waiting for an update/interview invitation from Imperial as they are the last one to issue me a decision.
Reply 4
congrats! do u think the lectures will be based at strand campus, im trying to choose my accom carefully lol
Original post by kazzza
Congrats on your KCL offer!! I just got mine a few days ago!!! I really like the uni and the facilities.
Reply 5
Original post by Eulerpheus
Hello, I am also applying for BME this year and I am an International student.

My choices are:
ICL
UCL
Loughborough
Strathclyde
Cambridge (Rejected already lol)

Still waiting for an update/interview invitation from Imperial as they are the last one to issue me a decision.

I'm still waiting on Imperial as well. Hope everything goes well!
Reply 6
Original post by hbr!ics
congrats! do u think the lectures will be based at strand campus, im trying to choose my accom carefully lol

On their website, it says that our lectures are based in 4 campuses I think (which makes sense cause lots of our modules come from different departments), so to be honest I'm not too sure 😅

You could probably ask where the majority of the lectures will take place and decide on it then.
Reply 7
Hi! I applied back in September and My QMUL offer came pretty quick. Then, my UCL offer came in November and literally last night I got my invitation for a virtual interview for Imperial.
Reply 8
Original post by Wei Han
Hi! I applied back in September and My QMUL offer came pretty quick. Then, my UCL offer came in November and literally last night I got my invitation for a virtual interview for Imperial.

congrats!
Reply 9
Original post by hbr!ics
congrats!

Thanks! My interview is next week and I’m stressing out about it. I hope it’s not too hard. I’ll post updates here when it’s done!
Reply 10
Original post by Wei Han
Thanks! My interview is next week and I’m stressing out about it. I hope it’s not too hard. I’ll post updates here when it’s done!

Congrats on your interview offer! Hope it went well/goes well. I've got a Kent interview next Tuesday, which I'm also stressing about slightly, but I hope it goes well :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Wei Han

Update: Just had my interview for Biomedical Engineering at Imperial today!

There was registration and an introductory video. There were 36 candidates in this session in total, some of which are Molecular Bioengineering applicants. Then, I had my individual interview which was 1-on-1 with a professor. He asked me the typical “Tell me about yourself and why you chose this course” and then he asked me something really specific which came from my Personal Statement. The question was “Discuss the possibility of artificial blood?”, of which I discussed the features and functions of blood and the possible ways of synthetically replicating it. After these 2 questions, he gave me 2 maths questions. One was a functions question which I messed up and couldn’t solve, even though in hindsight it was quite simple (I just panicked). The other question was a graph and I was told to “draw a graph of f’(x) by x”. The professor assigned to me was kind and patient, which was nice.

Afterwards, we had group tasks (groups of 6-8 people) where we were given a situation (case-study like) and we had to discuss solutions (like a Socratic seminar). There were 2 group tasks in total, both with the same group, supervised by “demonstrators” who gave prompts of discussion. We don’t meet any more professors or lecturers.

And that’s it, that’s the interview done. After that there was an optional, informal QnA session with 2 BME undergraduates who are in their 2nd year. They were really friendly and helpful.

Advice: For the individual interview, brush up on your personal statement, your knowledge of biology and physics, and especially your maths. For the group tasks, try to participate more and make sure to be polite to others. It’s also your chance to flex your understanding of biomedical engineering.

That’s all I have to say. Best of luck to all the others who haven’t received responses or are about to do their interviews!!
Reply 12
Original post by Wei Han

Hey! I hope your interview went well :smile: Mine's next week and I just got told about it lol - not much time to prepare... Anything I should look out for?
Reply 13
Original post by amiv6
Hey! I hope your interview went well :smile: Mine's next week and I just got told about it lol - not much time to prepare... Anything I should look out for?

Original post by Wei Han
Update: Just had my interview for Biomedical Engineering at Imperial today!

There was registration and an introductory video. There were 36 candidates in this session in total, some of which are Molecular Bioengineering applicants. Then, I had my individual interview which was 1-on-1 with a professor. He asked me the typical “Tell me about yourself and why you chose this course” and then he asked me something really specific which came from my Personal Statement. The question was “Discuss the possibility of artificial blood?”, of which I discussed the features and functions of blood and the possible ways of synthetically replicating it. After these 2 questions, he gave me 2 maths questions. One was a functions question which I messed up and couldn’t solve, even though in hindsight it was quite simple (I just panicked). The other question was a graph and I was told to “draw a graph of f’(x) by x”. The professor assigned to me was kind and patient, which was nice.

Afterwards, we had group tasks (groups of 6-8 people) where we were given a situation (case-study like) and we had to discuss solutions (like a Socratic seminar). There were 2 group tasks in total, both with the same group, supervised by “demonstrators” who gave prompts of discussion. We don’t meet any more professors or lecturers.

And that’s it, that’s the interview done. After that there was an optional, informal QnA session with 2 BME undergraduates who are in their 2nd year. They were really friendly and helpful.

Advice: For the individual interview, brush up on your personal statement, your knowledge of biology and physics, and especially your maths. For the group tasks, try to participate more and make sure to be polite to others. It’s also your chance to flex your understanding of biomedical engineering.

That’s all I have to say. Best of luck to all the others who haven’t received responses or are about to do their interviews!!

Here^
Reply 14
Original post by Wei Han
Here^

Thank you so much!!
Original post by kazzza

Are you planning on making it your firm choice? :smile:
Reply 16
Update: Just got an offer from Imperial. A*A*A, A*s in Maths and Physics
Reply 17
Original post by Yusufr04
Are you planning on making it your firm choice? :smile:

Aaah, it really depends on if I get an interview (and then an offer) from Imperial. If I don't, then King's will be my firm probably :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Wei Han
Update: Just got an offer from Imperial. A*A*A, A*s in Maths and Physics

omg congrats!!!!!!!!
Reply 19
Original post by kazzza
omg congrats!!!!!!!!

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending