The Student Room Group

Religious studies help

Hey guys! So i been doing revision for RE and im stuck on this 12 marker “contraception should never be used” it is a straightforward question tbh but my mind is completely blank like what points do i make in order to get full marks??? What do i say😬ikk i sound silly but if anyone could please help!!! Thankss

Scroll to see replies

Against - Sex is not always for having children, it prevents underaged pregnancies, it prevents SDI’s

For - You should only have sex to have children as that is how God intended it.

Then just use a lot of quotes to back up your answer and make a justified conclusion. Make sure the arguments are well balanced as well.
RS is a weak point of mine.... but this is what I've found from online and from my revision guide, from a Christian point of view. For any other religions, I'm sure there's plenty of resources online to help.

For
Having children is a blessing, as humanity was made in the image of God.
As the purpose of intercourse is to procreate, any sex without the intent of getting pregnant is considered "intrinsically evil" and a sin.
Using birth control turns sex into a non-marital act, and goes against natural law.
Only God has the right to decide when life should begin and end, and using birth control to prevent the beginning of life is giving humans the power to control when life begins
Sex is important within marriage as it is the final expression of total commitment to each other.
Sex should only be unitive and procreative.
Genesis 1:22 says 'be fruitful and muliply' so it is wrong to stop God's gift.
The final decision about pregnancies should be left to God

Against
Contraceptives stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and infections.
Humans should have the right to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Stops a family from having more children than they can support.
Acts against overpopulation.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Cheesecake04
Against - Sex is not always for having children, it prevents underaged pregnancies, it prevents SDI’s

For - You should only have sex to have children as that is how God intended it.

Then just use a lot of quotes to back up your answer and make a justified conclusion. Make sure the arguments are well balanced as well.

Thankssss! How can i start off? Do i only talk about 1 religion?
Reply 4
Original post by mari0506
RS is a weak point of mine.... but this is what I've found from online and from my revision guide, from a Christian point of view. For any other religions, I'm sure there's plenty of resources online to help.

For
Having children is a blessing, as humanity was made in the image of God.
As the purpose of intercourse is to procreate, any sex without the intent of getting pregnant is considered "intrinsically evil" and a sin.
Using birth control turns sex into a non-marital act, and goes against natural law.
Only God has the right to decide when life should begin and end, and using birth control to prevent the beginning of life is giving humans the power to control when life begins
Sex is important within marriage as it is the final expression of total commitment to each other.
Sex should only be unitive and procreative.
Genesis 1:22 says 'be fruitful and muliply' so it is wrong to stop God's gift.
The final decision about pregnancies should be left to God

Against
Contraceptives stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and infections.
Humans should have the right to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Stops a family from having more children than they can support.
Acts against overpopulation.

Good luck!

Omggg thank youu so much!! How can i start off? And like get straight into the point i struggle with that alot😅 i end up writing a ton of waffle!
Original post by Girlbyeee
Omggg thank youu so much!! How can i start off? And like get straight into the point i struggle with that alot😅 i end up writing a ton of waffle!

No problem!

Don't do an introduction - it gets you no marks. Maybe start the first paragraph like this:
Catholics believe that contraception should never be used. A reason for this is that...
Then write some points supporting the statement.

Then for against, start it with something along the lines of:
On the other hand, some may argue that...
Then explain some points against. Make sure to include quotes.

Then write a conclusion tying everything together, including your personal opinion.

I'm awful at essay writing in RS so I'm not sure if this is helpful, though ^^;
Hello

A sample essay plan. Some ideas for you.

Sex education
Growth mindset
Contraceptives
Birth control
Resources
Relationships
Religious perspectives on having sex
Sex and disability
Pregnancy
Children
Media and sex
Sexual offences
Condoms
Spandex
Free will
Decision making ability

You can compare two different religions. Christianity and Judaism spring to mind here. Make notes and reference all online sources properly at the end of the essay. Read the information carefully and try to rewrite it in your own words too. Talk about some of the topics mentioned above.
Use your textbook. The information can be used as a source of fodder for your essay. Make sure to use lots of paragraphs and headings. In terms of the structure, aim to have four paragraphs that make up the bulk of your entire essay.
Provide some definitions and stick to solid facts. Discuss and compare by way of a comparison table. I would recommend strongly also writing in black only. One more topic that you can talk about is sex after marriage. Best of luck. Also cover briefly sex related diseases.
Feel free to pm me for more help.
Reply 7
Original post by mari0506
No problem!

Don't do an introduction - it gets you no marks. Maybe start the first paragraph like this:
Catholics believe that contraception should never be used. A reason for this is that...
Then write some points supporting the statement.

Then for against, start it with something along the lines of:
On the other hand, some may argue that...
Then explain some points against. Make sure to include quotes.

Then write a conclusion tying everything together, including your personal opinion.

I'm awful at essay writing in RS so I'm not sure if this is helpful, though ^^;

Thank youuu ur still trying tho!! Its helping me alot I appreciate it😊
Reply 8
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello

A sample essay plan. Some ideas for you.

Sex education
Growth mindset
Contraceptives
Birth control
Resources
Relationships
Religious perspectives on having sex
Sex and disability
Pregnancy
Children
Media and sex
Sexual offences
Condoms
Spandex
Free will
Decision making ability

You can compare two different religions. Christianity and Judaism spring to mind here. Make notes and reference all online sources properly at the end of the essay. Read the information carefully and try to rewrite it in your own words too. Talk about some of the topics mentioned above.
Use your textbook. The information can be used as a source of fodder for your essay. Make sure to use lots of paragraphs and headings. In terms of the structure, aim to have four paragraphs that make up the bulk of your entire essay.
Provide some definitions and stick to solid facts. Discuss and compare by way of a comparison table. I would recommend strongly also writing in black only. One more topic that you can talk about is sex after marriage. Best of luck. Also cover briefly sex related diseases.
Feel free to pm me for more help.

Omggg thank youuu so muchhh appreciate it 12 markers for re is what im very weak at but thanks so much!
I always read that introductions are unnecessary and it's best to get straight to the point. You don't get any marks for repeating the question so it just wastes time.
Hey guys! So i been doing revision for RE and im stuck on this 12 marker “contraception should never be used” it is a straightforward question tbh but my mind is completely blank like what points do i make in order to get full marks??? What do i say😬ikk i sound silly but if anyone could please help!!! Thankss

Agree -

- Life is a gift from God so therefore using contraception could be seen as going against God's purpose (Evangelical christian viewpoint?)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you" - Jeremiah in the Bible
^^ This means that we were meant to have a personal relationship with God even before we were born.

Disagree-

Humanist viewpoint
-Contraception prevents STIS, which if contracted, could lower the quality of life of a woman. This means that contraception should be used as it prevents unnecessary suffering of a woman
Idk if you're doing eduqas re but for RE I use:

Point Evidence Explain X2 - 5 markers

Point Evidence Explain Impact X2 - 8 markers

R A D S (religous agree disagree summary)
Point Evidence Explain Impact Evaluation X3 - 15 markers
Reply 12
For reall! Structure is what i struggle withh i really need to work on that😔
Reply 13
Original post by joyceemx
Agree -

- Life is a gift from God so therefore using contraception could be seen as going against God's purpose (Evangelical christian viewpoint?)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you" - Jeremiah in the Bible
^^ This means that we were meant to have a personal relationship with God even before we were born.

Disagree-

Humanist viewpoint
-Contraception prevents STIS, which if contracted, could lower the quality of life of a woman. This means that contraception should be used as it prevents unnecessary suffering of a woman

Thankyouuuuu so muchhhh for your help!
Reply 14
Original post by joyceemx
Idk if you're doing eduqas re but for RE I use:

Point Evidence Explain X2 - 5 markers

Point Evidence Explain Impact X2 - 8 markers

R A D S (religous agree disagree summary)
Point Evidence Explain Impact Evaluation X3 - 15 markers

Aaaah im doing AQA we use P.E.E point evidence and explain
For reall! Structure is what i struggle withh i really need to work on that😔

Same! I've never got a grade higher than a 6 because I keep losing marks on structure!
Thankssss! How can i start off? Do i only talk about 1 religion?

I would put one religion ( example ) shows that ...
other religions also share the same view but it differs in ...

Then do the same for against and compare with your own view.
Reply 17
Original post by Cheesecake04
I would put one religion ( example ) shows that ...
other religions also share the same view but it differs in ...

Then do the same for against and compare with your own view.

Thanks girll!
Depending on which religion(s) your course is focused on, you want to bring in some influential thinkers.

For example, Thomas Aquinas is hugely influential in Catholic thought and he maintained that any act of sex should always lead to the possibility of pregnancy and should not be prevented by the use of contraception. Similarly, Biblical quotes about God knowing children in the womb (as well as other I'm sure you could find with a quick google) would be useful.

Controversially, Pope Benedict in 2009 asserted that condoms were not the solution to an AIDS epidemic in Africa and stated that they might even make the problem worse - this extremely strict rejection of contraception was critiqued vehemently by Christopher Hitchens, which you could also make a passing reference to in your response.

Other Christian denominations may take a more relaxed view on contraceptions, provided, for example, it does not lead to promiscuity or sex before marriage which are sins. Within the institution of marriage, contraception would be perfectly permissible.
Thanks girll!

No problem. Good luck and any more questions feel free to just message me or post on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending