The Student Room Group

Mental health and wellbeing directory - where you can find support during covid

This is a pretty tough time for a lot of people and (I'm sure you've heard everyone saying) it's really important to take steps to look after your mental health.

There's a lot of incredible organisations offering specific support around covid and mental health.

This thread is a place to gather those awesome resources. Please take a look and share this thread with anyone who might need it.

On TSR

Mental health & relationships

Mental health forum

Relationships forum

Health forum

How you’re staying on top of your mental health during the coronavirus lockdown

Practical advice for mental health support during the pandemic

Advice from mental health professionals on coping with school, university and exam cancellations

Coping with family relationships during lockdown: student questions answered

Coping with lockdown
Lockdown learning: how other GCSE and A-level students managed online study

The video games you’re playing to get you through lockdown

10 ways students are making their own lockdown fun

Eight ways students are making their video calls with friends more fun

Support organisations

Dr Radha's five mental health tips for lockdown
Video content (with captions, audio and animations, approx 2 mins)

Childline
Good for younger students, includes easy-read articles and games. Nothing too specific about COVID.

Childline BSL
Support service for children who use British Sign Language. You can sign to a counsellor.

Samaritans Self Help App
This is a desktop app (in-browser) which can help you with longer term MH habit tracking and creating a toolbox for yourself. You create a free account and can log mood, look for patterns, make safety plans, etc.

Advice for handling uncertainty
Article from Good Thinking London. Quite detailed and with lots of links out to other helpful resources. Informed by their clinical team.

Common MH questions/experiences - Young Minds
With practical tips and experiences shared by student bloggers

The Mix - advice for under 25s
Good MH stuff, but also includes things about tenancy rights, homelessness during covid, relationships, etc

Student Space - uni students
Good articles and links to support services (phone, email, text) for university aged students

15 ways to switch off - Blurt
Good for acknowledging how having a break from things like the internet can really help

NHS mental health service
Information about available NHS mental health services

Then we've got our tried and true support services for you to call/text/email:
Samaritans
Childline
Papyrus

If you're currently in a situation where you can't speak on the phone (if you don't have much privacy in your lockdown situ), do remember the above services also offer text message and email services, so don't let that be a reason not to chat to someone. :smile:

If you've got any helpful resources to add, please post them in the thread!

Take care of yourselves, everyone.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ah I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I know we heard a lot of similar reports toward the end of last year about MH services unfortunately. It's not the same thing at all, but hopefully the resources here might be able to help some people in some way.

I do hope you hear back soon. :redface:
It is depressingly telling that none of the support organisations are the NHS.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is depressingly telling that none of the support organisations are the NHS.

Haha not a deliberate omission! I do hope this list will continue to grow. It's just a starter. If you could post any helpful links you've found here that'd be awesome. :smile:
Original post by BlinkyBill
Haha not a deliberate omission! I do hope this list will continue to grow. It's just a starter. If you could post any helpful links you've found here that'd be awesome. :smile:

Having had a call with my own GP only yesterday asking for pain management therapy I wouldn't bother adding any NHS numbers. They are in no position to help.
Original post by DiddyDec
Having had a call with my own GP only yesterday asking for pain management therapy I wouldn't bother adding any NHS numbers. They are in no position to help.

I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I hope you're able to find something to help you soon. It's a good point you made though, so I've added the general link to NHS MH services above in case people want to look into it anyway. :redface: Take care
Body and Soul charity are really great for mental health. They also offer free DBT skills livestreams once a week. http://bodyandsoulcharity.org/sharethelove/#text-blocks-mindset
I’m not a student, but work a Tesco’s as trolly assistant, it’s physically exhausting especially through Covid 19, but sometimes I feel I want to move on from Tesco’s I need a job 16 plus to keep going other than my mobile DJING/ singing job, I’m getting bored 😐 at Tesco’s, pushing trollies all day in all weathers, I feel trapped

Quick Reply

Latest