The Student Room Group

Believing in superstition

I think I have a problem with myself. I believe in superstition too much. On days in which I have been procrastinating, I have received offers from universities, and on days where I have been productive, and doing a lot of work, I have received no offers. This has lead me to believe that if I keep procrastinating, I will continue to get offers. I know in reality this is not the case, but it is always in the back of my mind whenever I sit down to revise, so I end up stop revising. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I think I have a problem with myself. I believe in superstition too much. On days in which I have been procrastinating, I have received offers from universities, and on days where I have been productive, and doing a lot of work, I have received no offers. This has lead me to believe that if I keep procrastinating, I will continue to get offers. I know in reality this is not the case, but it is always in the back of my mind whenever I sit down to revise, so I end up stop revising. Any advice?

LOL that's a coincidence for sure. I am a superstition believer too but only to an extent where it makes sense. You being lazy doesn't correlate to you getting offers. You're just connecting the dots too much.. chill but revise as well haha.
Reply 2
LOL that's a coincidence for sure. I am a superstition believer too but only to an extent where it makes sense. You being lazy doesn't correlate to you getting offers. You're just connecting the dots too much.. chill but revise as well haha.

Are you 100% certain? Please take this seriously because I am not lying when I say this.
Reply 3
Are you 100% certain? Please take this seriously because I am not lying when I say this.

Also, I fear one day when I do revise, and I face rejection on the same day, it will demotivate me from revising forever. I feel as though procrastinating gives me good luck for some odd reason

Advice: Grow up, quit procrastinating and get on with your work.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
Advice: Grow up, quit procrastinating and get on with your work.

It's a real problem; please take me seriously.
I think I have a problem with myself. I believe in superstition too much. On days in which I have been procrastinating, I have received offers from universities, and on days where I have been productive, and doing a lot of work, I have received no offers. This has lead me to believe that if I keep procrastinating, I will continue to get offers. I know in reality this is not the case, but it is always in the back of my mind whenever I sit down to revise, so I end up stop revising.

could you be thinking this as a subconscious excuse to avoid studying?
It's a real problem; please take me seriously.

I am taking you seriously. The sooner you develop some discipline and confront your irrational fear, the sooner you can get on with your life.

buddy I'm being serious as well .. you're overthinking for sure. Are you stressed?? Please do study! However if ur really really into that superstition no one can stop you i guess.
Reply 9
Original post by modulus123
could you be thinking this as a subconscious excuse to avoid studying?

I'm a firm believer that luck exists in this world, and different people get different luck, and some people can increase their chances of luck. For example some people can their chances of luck by increasing their work ethic so they are in the right place at the right time- this is what makes many entrepreneurs successful. For me, procrastinating may increase my chances of luck, so the more i procrastinate, the more offers I recieve. It's difficult to understand but it may be true.
I am taking you seriously. The sooner you develop some discipline and confront your irrational fear, the sooner you can get on with your life.

So you don't think carrying on procrastinating will increase my chances of getting an offer?

buddy I'm being serious as well .. you're overthinking for sure. Are you stressed?? Please do study! However if ur really really into that superstition no one can stop you i guess.

It could be due to stress, but I have been thinking the same thing when I am not stressed too. I shouldn't be though.
I'm a firm believer that luck exists in this world, and different people get different luck, and some people can increase their chances of luck. For example some people can their chances of luck by increasing their work ethic so they are in the right place at the right time- this is what makes many entrepreneurs successful. For me, procrastinating may increase my chances of luck, so the more i procrastinate, the more offers I recieve. It's difficult to understand but it may be true.

Absolute bull. Luck is an incorrect way thinking.

Working hard simply means increasing the probability of being able to take advantage of opportunity when it presents, be that examinations, job interviews, job offers, making money. Procrastinate and opportunities evaporate because you failed to create the opportunity by working hard.

It's pure coincidence that you happened to receive offers at the time you procrastinated.

But, by all means, continue with your futile belief. Good luck with your life. You are going to need all the luck you can get if you do not change your behaviour.
(edited 3 years ago)

TALENT=LUCK!! I'll give you an example of you getting AAA at Alevels (this is talent) which increases ur chances of getting into top unis (here ur luck is playing) if u didn't have the talent to get AAA then luck wouldn't have existed for u to get into a top uni SO luck and talent come as a package... I hope u understand what I'm saying. To be talented at something u need to practice so go revise buddy.

I am superstitious too. I am scared of the occult. I definitely have good or bad look numbers. I hate the number '4' and 13

I am scared of evil eye. I always wear a necklace with a triangle and eye. I don't post photos of myself online because I am scared people will give me evil eye.

No. You will never get something in this world unless you deserve it or work for it.

Go revise. If you wont get good grades
Absolute bull. Luck is an incorrect way thinking.

Working hard simply means increasing the probability of being able to take advantage of opportunity when it presents, be that examinations, job interviews, job offers, making money. Procrastinate and opportunities evaporate because you failed to create the opportunity by working hard.

It's pure coincidence that you happened to receive offers at the time you procrastinated.

But, by all means, continue with your futile belief. Good luck with your life. You are going to need all the luck you can get if you do not change your behaviour.

I admire your blunt and brutal behaviour . It kind of defeats the purpose of having an innocent dog laughing as your profile picture, but thanks for the advice

TALENT=LUCK!! I'll give you an example of you getting AAA at Alevels (this is talent) which increases ur chances of getting into top unis (here ur luck is playing) if u didn't have the talent to get AAA then luck wouldn't have existed for u to get into a top uni SO luck and talent come as a package... I hope u understand what I'm saying. To be talented at something u need to practice so go revise buddy.

Alright thank you

No. You will never get something in this world unless you deserve it or work for it.

Thank you
Perhaps a tin foil hat is also appropriate.:ashamed2:
WAIT ppl still go to homeopathy doctors???

That's true but luck does exist tho.
This is something called "magical thinking". It's quite common in children, but can also be a symptom of certain psychiatric illnesses like OCD (I had it as part of mine). I'll let you make your own conclusions.

Quick Reply

Latest