The Student Room Group

Urgent help! Law firms and foundation years

Do Law firms take in Foundation course as a legit diploma and will it be disfavoursed? I am only asking because of the impact the COVID 19 has had on my school and family and s and being able to finish the high school dipoma. I only have 4 months left but I don't think I will secure the grades that I want., for the Ruseel group unis I want to go to. My guidance counsler told me a better option to go to law school is to start a foundation course that will guarantee a spot in a certain university ( ONLY I if I get the grades required in the foundation year ). I don't have time and anyone with serious knowledge and advice would be really beneficial. Especially as I am an international student. That would mean when I am applying to the top firms eg magic circle and silver circle. I would have my gcses, a school transcript of my first year in high school and a foundation certificate. Is that enough? But 0 UCAS POINTS IB/ A LEVEL GRADES. Please help asap
Original post by shadan2003
Do Law firms take in Foundation course as a legit diploma and will it be disfavoursed? I am only asking because of the impact the COVID 19 has had on my school and family and s and being able to finish the high school dipoma. I only have 4 months left but I don't think I will secure the grades that I want., for the Ruseel group unis I want to go to. My guidance counsler told me a better option to go to law school is to start a foundation course that will guarantee a spot in a certain university ( ONLY I if I get the grades required in the foundation year ). I don't have time and anyone with serious knowledge and advice would be really beneficial. Especially as I am an international student. That would mean when I am applying to the top firms eg magic circle and silver circle. I would have my gcses, a school transcript of my first year in high school and a foundation certificate. Is that enough? But 0 UCAS POINTS IB/ A LEVEL GRADES. Please help asap

ah, yes, another Magic Circler in our ranks

why can't you email the firms directly? they have graduate recruitment emails that are monitored and replied to within a few days
Reply 2
I

Original post by EU Yakov
ah, yes, another Magic Circler in our ranks

why can't you email the firms directly? they have graduate recruitment emails that are monitored and replied to within a few days

have emailed them but they say they're an open firm and they consider people from all backgrounds and mitigating circumstances. I am just worried that when and if I am applying to a job or vacation scheme, they would favour a student who did A levels and IB, compared to a student who did IB1 and they did a foundation progression year.
Original post by shadan2003
I

have emailed them but they say they're an open firm and they consider people from all backgrounds and mitigating circumstances. I am just worried that when and if I am applying to a job or vacation scheme, they would favour a student who did A levels and IB, compared to a student who did IB1 and they did a foundation progression year.

why did you do foundation? did you get any bad IB grades?

my guess is that getting CCC and having to do a foundation year is not treated the same as having to do a foundation year for some other reason. the first student is demonstrably bad. the second is an unknown quantity

but then again the lack of A-level, IB, etc is a missed opportunity for you to shine, right? if someone did IB and got a high grade they're proving themselves to be a strong candidate. you are more of a question mark. more of a risk, in a way.

dunno if there's any stigma attached to foundation years in general. some ppl at my uni (which offered them in a lot of subjects) saw them as the 'BTEC' way of getting onto a degree. that's a very immature approach but idk if it's widespread

all of what I'm saying is a reasonable guess btw, I've never worked in HR, please don't take my word for it

i think that the most mature approach is for you to apply to a wider range of firms and see which picks you up. skadden probably isn't going to hire you but some other firm might! there's a lot you can do to make yourself a good candidate from now
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending