The Student Room Group

how do you improve in gcse drama (live review)??

so i'm in yr10 and this is actually my first time doing a live review. i got 7/30 but i didn't really understand the question - it was about artistic intentions. when i searched on google, it said something like ' something that engages the reader' so i bases my whole review on that !

i really want to improve but how?? BBC bitesize??
thank youuu !! <33
Not sure what spec you're doing but have a look on the exam board websites for example essays and mark schemes to get an idea of what they're looking for. I was on OCR when I did mine and I'm pretty sure there were 10 marks for use of terminology so make sure you know the vocab (types of staging, lighting, sound etc).

Artistic intentions are what the director/actor/designer etc. wants to convey to the audience. I'll use Othello as an example. If I was an actor playing Desdemona in the moments before her murder - what would I want to convey to the audience? Perhaps my fear - how could I then show that? Physicality, tone of voice, facial expressions, gesture etc. From a design point of view a designer may want to use lighting to shape the audience's mood. Red lighting may connote violence, a spotlight may direct an audience's attention to the bed where Desdemona is killed.

So say you wanted to refer to how the intention to show Desdemona's fear was achieved. You could start off by stating the intention, then state how this was achieved and then explain why this was effective. What effect did it have on you as an audience member? Did you become emotional? Angry? Make sure to be evaluative with your statements, explain why you think what an actor did was particularly effective and the impact it had on you. When I did my GCSE we were also required to say a negative aspect of the performance so think about something you felt was a bit lacklustre and didn't achieve the intention you believe it was meant to have.

Hope that helps! I'm a Y13 drama student so happy to answer anymore of your questions if you message me :smile:
Original post by francisab03
Not sure what spec you're doing but have a look on the exam board websites for example essays and mark schemes to get an idea of what they're looking for. I was on OCR when I did mine and I'm pretty sure there were 10 marks for use of terminology so make sure you know the vocab (types of staging, lighting, sound etc).

Artistic intentions are what the director/actor/designer etc. wants to convey to the audience. I'll use Othello as an example. If I was an actor playing Desdemona in the moments before her murder - what would I want to convey to the audience? Perhaps my fear - how could I then show that? Physicality, tone of voice, facial expressions, gesture etc. From a design point of view a designer may want to use lighting to shape the audience's mood. Red lighting may connote violence, a spotlight may direct an audience's attention to the bed where Desdemona is killed.

So say you wanted to refer to how the intention to show Desdemona's fear was achieved. You could start off by stating the intention, then state how this was achieved and then explain why this was effective. What effect did it have on you as an audience member? Did you become emotional? Angry? Make sure to be evaluative with your statements, explain why you think what an actor did was particularly effective and the impact it had on you. When I did my GCSE we were also required to say a negative aspect of the performance so think about something you felt was a bit lacklustre and didn't achieve the intention you believe it was meant to have.

Hope that helps! I'm a Y13 drama student so happy to answer anymore of your questions if you message me :smile:

yeah i'm also doing OCR too !
that was a lot of help, thank you :smile:
do you reccomend BBC bitesize so i can read about it? or any other websites???
thank youuuu
Original post by harlz_chalamet
yeah i'm also doing OCR too !
that was a lot of help, thank you :smile:
do you reccomend BBC bitesize so i can read about it? or any other websites???
thank youuuu

Yep I found bbc bitesize very helpful! I'd also recommend watching as many performances as possible and trying to take a critical view of them throughout. There's loads being broadcasted online at the moment because of lockdown.
Original post by francisab03
Yep I found bbc bitesize very helpful! I'd also recommend watching as many performances as possible and trying to take a critical view of them throughout. There's loads being broadcasted online at the moment because of lockdown.

okay, great idea! hopefully this will help :smile:
i'm guessing you really enjoy drama? how did you find GCSE drama?
thank you for this great advice x
Original post by harlz_chalamet
okay, great idea! hopefully this will help :smile:
i'm guessing you really enjoy drama? how did you find GCSE drama?
thank you for this great advice x

Yes I love drama! I enjoyed GCSE a lot - I think part of drama is genuinely liking what you're doing. I wasn't too keen on the text performance I ended up doing and I feel that that was reflected in the final outcome so make sure you choose something you like! (and a group who's willing to rehearse haha). The coursework part was quite nice, when you're doing devising I'd keep some sort of diary so that you remember your process. Also (something I didn't do at GCSE but have done at A Level) take pictures! It's a lot easier to talk about how your staging progressed in a scene if you have evidence to support that. One thing I wish I would've focused more on is the play we studied, make sure you know it inside out because the exam questions can be super specific. If you're thinking of doing A Level drama (I know it's a bit early since you're only in year 10) GCSE is a really nice introduction to it. It's a lot of the same stuff except you do more writing and get to explore directing pieces etc. In typical drama student fashion I have rambled a lot but like I said feel free to message me if you've got any more questions

Quick Reply

Latest