The Student Room Group

The alevel maths course is kind of intimidating lol

Im doing online alevels (not because of covid) and holy **** theres 9 entire THICC books just for maths???? Ive completed one book so far and the workload seems so intimidating :0
No real point to this post just...DAMB
4 pure maths, 2 statistics, 2 mechanics and one decisions....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do you do further maths ? i do maths (edexel) and only have 4 books - 2 pure -2 statistics and mechanics. i love maths. some questions i do are hard and complex, but the more hard questions i do, the clearer they become.
Reply 2
Yes as the person above said, there’s only 4 mandatory books for edexcel A level maths. Which exam board are you on?
Original post by MoAltrabsheh
do you do further maths ? i do maths (edexel) and only have 4 books - 2 pure -2 statistics and mechanics. i love maths. some questions i do are hard and complex, but the more hard questions i do, the clearer they become.

No i just do the normal alevel, do you just have core 1 and 2, 2 statistics books and mechanics 1 then? My online alevel provider kind of sucks and they give me almost no information so thankyou sm for commenting lol 😖
Original post by Lo12
Yes as the person above said, there’s only 4 mandatory books for edexcel A level maths. Which exam board are you on?

Do you know what books those are? I sort of bought all of them lol i thought something was a bit fishy
Reply 5
Original post by spacerat
Do you know what books those are? I sort of bought all of them lol i thought something was a bit fishy

Are you a UK or international student? Which exam board are you following?

Original post by Notnek
Are you a UK or international student? Which exam board are you following?

Im a UK student and edexcel :smile:

No idea why you have 8 books then. I'm doing alevel maths and only have 4. Also decisions isn't part of the alevel maths course, are you sure you haven't enrolled for further maths
(edited 3 years ago)

UM im doing edexcel and i only have 2 books for AS-
i think ur doing the wrong course or have got the wrong books LOL

ALSO WHATS DECISIONS? swear edexcel doesnt have descisions !
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vidi2020
UM im doing edexcel and i only have 2 books for AS-
i think ur doing the wrong course or have got the wrong books LOL

ALSO WHATS DECISIONS? swear edexcel doesnt have descisions !

Im with a really BAD online course provider so im kind of just winging it :biggrin: what books do you have? I got kind of terrified cause my dumbass bought every single edexcel maths book lol
Im with a really BAD online course provider so im kind of just winging it :biggrin: what books do you have? I got kind of terrified cause my dumbass bought every single edexcel maths book lol

Just get the AS book statistics & mechanics, AS book pure maths, Alevel book statistics & mechanics, Alevel book pure maths. And make sure it's NOT further maths.
If you're still unsure maybe check the spec.
Reply 11

Can you please link to or post a picture of these books? Did your course provider tell you to get these books?
Original post by Notnek
Can you please link to or post a picture of these books? Did your course provider tell you to get these books?

Ive got the CGP edexcel books with the blue covers ,not the pearson ones, my course provider just told me to 'make sure i get the books' and suggested CGP so when i went to buy them i just got all of them :/ they dont differentiate between maths/further maths on the covers or anything
Original post by stephsmhb
Just get the AS book statistics & mechanics, AS book pure maths, Alevel book statistics & mechanics, Alevel book pure maths. And make sure it's NOT further maths.
If you're still unsure maybe check the spec.

Is that pearson? The books i have are CGP
Reply 16
Ive got the CGP edexcel books with the blue covers ,not the pearson ones, my course provider just told me to 'make sure i get the books' and suggested CGP so when i went to buy them i just got all of them :/ they dont differentiate between maths/further maths on the covers or anything

Do you have an example picture/link to one of the books? They could be old spec or further maths if they include decision maths.
Tysm!! Do you use the CGP books in class at all? I have all the cgp books i just dk which ones i need lol :/

I haven't seen the CGP books cus we had to buy the pearsons one for school as it was compulsory so i didnt rlly need CGP. But knowing CGP they explain really well so you may wanna keep them tbh. What all books do you have?
Original post by vidi2020
I haven't seen the CGP books cus we had to buy the pearsons one for school as it was compulsory so i didnt rlly need CGP. But knowing CGP they explain really well so you may wanna keep them tbh. What all books do you have?

I have 4 pure maths books, 2 mechanics books, 2 statistic books and a decisions book, i heard theres only 4 books that i need so im guessing pure maths 1 and 2 then just the first statistics and mechanics books :0

Oh no dont get cpg, those are more like revision guides than textbooks. Get pearson or hodder education (i use elmwood education but no one else uses it so i dunno)

Quick Reply

Latest