The Student Room Group

Is this correct? A level chem bond reactivity and boiling points

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1291685

I was confused so i came across this old thread but everyone is so confusingggg lmao. So i was just wondering if this is correct? I dont want to get mixed up/the wrong way around.

The strength of the C-X bond is the following order (strongest first):

C-F > C-Cl > C-Br > C-I

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes is in the reverse order:

most reactive ---> least reactive

C-I > C-Br > C-Cl > C-F

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes depends on the breaking of the C-X bond. AS the C-F bond is the strongest, it is the hardest to break, and therefore fluroalkanes are least reactive of the halogenoalkanes. [copied from a user from the thread]
Reply 1
Original post by vix.xvi
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1291685

I was confused so i came across this old thread but everyone is so confusingggg lmao. So i was just wondering if this is correct? I dont want to get mixed up/the wrong way around.

The strength of the C-X bond is the following order (strongest first):

C-F > C-Cl > C-Br > C-I

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes is in the reverse order:

most reactive ---> least reactive

C-I > C-Br > C-Cl > C-F

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes depends on the breaking of the C-X bond. AS the C-F bond is the strongest, it is the hardest to break, and therefore fluroalkanes are least reactive of the halogenoalkanes. [copied from a user from the thread]

As you progress down group 7 the number of electrons increases, and hence there are a greater number of electron shells. More shielding around the nucleus results in weaker electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons. For group 7 non metals to react, 1 electron has to be gained, so in fact it is the fluorine which is most reactive and the iodine which is least reactive as there are stronger electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons with fewer electron shells in fluorine and hence it takes less energy to gain an electron. In terms of the strength of the C-X bonds, what you've put is correct. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hdurber
As you progress down group 7 the number of electrons increases, and hence there are a greater number of electron shells. More shielding around the nucleus results in weaker electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons. For group 7 non metals to react, 1 electron has to be gained, so in fact it is the fluorine which is most reactive and the iodine which is least reactive as there are stronger electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons with fewer electron shells in fluorine and hence it takes less energy to gain an electron. In terms of the strength of the C-X bonds, what you've put is correct. Hope this helps.

ahh kk thanks so much mate. so its all correct feww so i dont have to go and change my notes aha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by vix.xvi
ahh kk thanks so much mate. so its all correct feww so i dont have to go and change my notes aha :smile:

Ah, hello again! Chem making sense now?
Original post by iceberg5
Ah, hello again! Chem making sense now?

hi again :biggrin: yes a lil more now thanks...lets hope its crystal clear by monday haha
Original post by vix.xvi
hi again :biggrin: yes a lil more now thanks...lets hope its crystal clear by monday haha

that was supposed to be a pun btw

Quick Reply

Latest