The Student Room Group

Cifas Cat 6

Last year I was stupidly conned into being a money mule. I was not aware of what I was doing and how it was wrong/would affect me. My friends brother was into “investing” stocks and bonds etc. (At least so I thought). He told me he could link my bank account to a trading account, explained how it all worked, and all I needed to do was give him my bank details, which I stupidly did. Not thinking that anything was dodgy at all, as afterall, I knew this person very well.

About two days down the line is when I started noticing some strange stuff. The address linked to my bank account was changed to over 75miles away, and my online banking passwords were changed and he ignored all of my calls and texts.

At the end of the week, he came and picked me up and told me to go into the bank and withdraw the remaining balances (£1,500) before the “stock market” closes for the weekend. Which I did. He then gave me around £1,000 and that was the end of that.

Within 48hrs my bank account was closed. Barclays didn’t communicate the reasoning behind this, nor will they speak to me now as I cannot pass security questions since these were changed too.

I then opened up an account with ****** which is still open today. I applied for a credit card last month and was declined. The company said “Barclays have put a block against your name. You should look into this”. I tried contacting them but they ignored me.

I then wrote to cifas. I then discovered that a first party fraud marker was placed against my name in April 2017 and that I had two registered addresses; the one I live at, and have done for over 11 years, and also this address is where my Barclays account is now registered to! I tried asking my friends brother what has happened etc, and he denies any wrong doing of fraud and everything was legitimate through trading stocks and forex etc - blatant BS!

I know that I need to write to Barclays to attempt to get this resolved but how do I go about it? I understand that I was very naive in giving out my bank details, however I had no idea for what purpose they would be used for. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cm123456789
Last year I was stupidly conned into being a money mule. I was not aware of what I was doing and how it was wrong/would affect me. My friends brother was into “investing” stocks and bonds etc. (At least so I thought). He told me he could link my bank account to a trading account, explained how it all worked, and all I needed to do was give him my bank details, which I stupidly did. Not thinking that anything was dodgy at all, as afterall, I knew this person very well.

About two days down the line is when I started noticing some strange stuff. The address linked to my bank account was changed to over 75miles away, and my online banking passwords were changed and he ignored all of my calls and texts.

At the end of the week, he came and picked me up and told me to go into the bank and withdraw the remaining balances (£1,500) before the “stock market” closes for the weekend. Which I did. He then gave me around £1,000 and that was the end of that.

Within 48hrs my bank account was closed. Barclays didn’t communicate the reasoning behind this, nor will they speak to me now as I cannot pass security questions since these were changed too.

I then opened up an account with ****** which is still open today. I applied for a credit card last month and was declined. The company said “Barclays have put a block against your name. You should look into this”. I tried contacting them but they ignored me.

I then wrote to cifas. I then discovered that a first party fraud marker was placed against my name in April 2017 and that I had two registered addresses; the one I live at, and have done for over 11 years, and also this address is where my Barclays account is now registered to! I tried asking my friends brother what has happened etc, and he denies any wrong doing of fraud and everything was legitimate through trading stocks and forex etc - blatant BS!

I know that I need to write to Barclays to attempt to get this resolved but how do I go about it? I understand that I was very naive in giving out my bank details, however I had no idea for what purpose they would be used for. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

How old are you?

It doesnt sound like you just gave him details you gave him passwords as well.

As far as I know your financials will be messed up now and its unlikely they will remove the marker. You gave your details away willingly and they have decided you are a risk, which you are.

CIFAS markers last 6 years and its likely any other bank will refuse you an account. If Barclays close your account, then you will have to seek out one with a prepaid card.

Try the moneysavingexperts forum.
Reply 2
I’m 20yrs old, he had my card so I can only assume he changed my details by using that to gain access to my online banking? I still have a bank account with ******** it was my Barclays one which was closed. Once the cifas period expires will it still affect me in getting a mortgage etc?
This is becoming very common and they are not educating young people enough. Most don’t know what money mule is or that it’s considered a crime and can mess up your life. Your next worry is if it will

After the CIFAS marker expires after 6 years it won’t affect you. Until then I’m sorry to say your credit will have an impact. You’re going to have to rely on your parents to take out credit cards, mortgages, phone contracts, insurance etc. They will have to pay it from their accounts since their name will be on the contract but you will have to pay them back each month I guess.

You also won’t be able to get a job in the financial sector for six years because they look for CIFAS markers. Same applies for the legal sector.

I’m talking from personal experience and it’s the worst thing in the world where you wish you could go back in time more than anything. CIFAS marker used to last for 13 months but they annoyingly changed it to 6 years six years ago.

It’s a big life lesson but you’re not alone in this. Please take care and I’m so sorry for what you have experienced.
Your next worry is if it will* debit your account with a negative balance that you have to repay.
Reply 5
Thank you all for the help. I understand that I made a very stupid, naive mistake and will have to just get on with it. My only worry is after the expiry will I still be able to get a mortgage or a car loan etc. Thank you all for the advice
Reply 6
Are Barclays likely to peruse this further? It’s been nearly 2yrs since the entry on cifas. What is the likelihood off them getting the police involved now, nearly two years down the line?
Original post by Anonymous
This is becoming very common and they are not educating young people enough. Most don’t know what money mule is or that it’s considered a crime and can mess up your life. Your next worry is if it will

After the CIFAS marker expires after 6 years it won’t affect you. Until then I’m sorry to say your credit will have an impact. You’re going to have to rely on your parents to take out credit cards, mortgages, phone contracts, insurance etc. They will have to pay it from their accounts since their name will be on the contract but you will have to pay them back each month I guess.

You also won’t be able to get a job in the financial sector for six years because they look for CIFAS markers. Same applies for the legal sector.

I’m talking from personal experience and it’s the worst thing in the world where you wish you could go back in time more than anything. CIFAS marker used to last for 13 months but they annoyingly changed it to 6 years six years ago.

It’s a big life lesson but you’re not alone in this. Please take care and I’m so sorry for what you have experienced.

I was a money mule and my card was closed however somehow I got approved for another bank card. This all happened when I was 16 I’m 18 now and I want to get a credit file, how would I do this
Reply 8
Are Barclays likely to peruse this further? It’s been nearly 2yrs since the entry on cifas. What is the likelihood off them getting the police involved now, nearly two years down the line?

Very unlikely they will as you have already been issued a marker. This is a more convenient way of them dealing with it rather than taking legal action against you
Thank you all for the help. I understand that I made a very stupid, naive mistake and will have to just get on with it. My only worry is after the expiry will I still be able to get a mortgage or a car loan etc. Thank you all for the advice

Yes you should be cifas markers last for 6 years your credit should be fine after it goes
How much was put into your account and how much did you withdraw?

Hi I’m currently going through the same thing and I want to know if it’s guaranteed that banks will let you open an account after those 6 years as you are not trusted anymore
And I want to know how you survived like where did you earn your wages and what job can I get
Original post by Laylahxx
Hi I’m currently going through the same thing and I want to know if it’s guaranteed that banks will let you open an account after those 6 years as you are not trusted anymore
And I want to know how you survived like where did you earn your wages and what job can I get

Yes you will be able to open a account after the cifas marker is gone after 6 years, getting a jobs gonna be harder because they do background and credit checks this shows up on it i think even with a cifas marker you can still get a prepaid card
Reply 13
which bank approved you for a card? Is it a current account or basic account?
I have been in a similar situation and got wound up in money muling, wanting quick cash - not realising the severe implications. Not to worry too much as there are ways to 'recover' from this. Unfortunately with a CIFAS marker by your name it will be very difficult to open a current account with a bank that is under the bank of Scotland - however online based banks such as Starling and Monzo will give you an opportunity to do so. I in fact, recommend Starling as I am currently with them despite having a CIFAS marker against my name. I have successfully opened a current account and you are provided with a physical contactless debit card just like any other bank. As I am due to go to uni this year, it was my biggest concern wether I would be able to get online bank facilities again and I have - which I thank God dearly for.Treat this experience as a learning curve for sure.To close, check out Monzo and Starling - do some research and watch some reviews. i.e
Original post by SavedbyGrace
I have been in a similar situation and got wound up in money muling, wanting quick cash - not realising the severe implications. Not to worry too much as there are ways to 'recover' from this. Unfortunately with a CIFAS marker by your name it will be very difficult to open a current account with a bank that is under the bank of Scotland - however online based banks such as Starling and Monzo will give you an opportunity to do so. I in fact, recommend Starling as I am currently with them despite having a CIFAS marker against my name. I have successfully opened a current account and you are provided with a physical contactless debit card just like any other bank. As I am due to go to uni this year, it was my biggest concern wether I would be able to get online bank facilities again and I have - which I thank God dearly for.Treat this experience as a learning curve for sure.To close, check out Monzo and Starling - do some research and watch some reviews. i.e

This is incorrect, both Starling and Monzo are now members of CIFAS, and users who were already with them before they became members are randomly having their accounts closed out of the blue (due to CIFAS marker). Lots of similar products/online banks are becoming members.
Original post by Finess
which bank approved you for a card? Is it a current account or basic account?

Prepaid lol
Original post by SavedbyGrace

Same with me. I did a silly mistake in 2015 because i wanted quick money. Ive mearnt my lesson and my marker on cifas is due to expire this year (bcus its 6 years). 3 years from 2015 i discovered monzo and they gave me and an account in monzo which ive been using untill now. Starling bank did not work for me due to them co-operating with CIFAS. Monzo doesnt. So i advise monzo is the best way. But dont do nothing silli again. I had to request a Data access form to seee everything on my name soon the wait will be over. I thank God. You live and you learn
I was a money mule and my card was closed however somehow I got approved for another bank card. This all happened when I was 16 I’m 18 now and I want to get a credit file, how would I do this

Have to go on CIFAS and request a Data access requets form to see what information they hold against you. Then you will be able to see how long and when the offence happened
Same with me. I did a silly mistake in 2015 because i wanted quick money. Ive mearnt my lesson and my marker on cifas is due to expire this year (bcus its 6 years). 3 years from 2015 i discovered monzo and they gave me and an account in monzo which ive been using untill now. Starling bank did not work for me due to them co-operating with CIFAS. Monzo doesnt. So i advise monzo is the best way. But dont do nothing silli again. I had to request a Data access form to seee everything on my name soon the wait will be over. I thank God. You live and you learn

Not true, Monzo is now a member. Don't expect longevity with them.

Latest