Same!! What department?

How do you know which department?
Original post by charlieg617
How do you know which department?

I got DWP for the interview?
Yea finally heard back from them
Original post by ravman123456
I got DWP for the interview?

Oh dat doesn't mean you will necessarily get the job in that specific place. It just meant ppl from that sector were going to interview by it. I think one question in the interview they asked was what areas r u specifically interested in the ges.
Original post by Youpa123
I heard back today. Thankfully got accepted!

Omg same!
Original post by BenRyan99
Hi all - I did my GES student placement last year (19/20) and have an offer to return to my department once I've graduated.

I used this website a bit when preparing so I'd be happy to answer any questions anybody has about the process, assessment centre, the job and anything else.

After you got accepted by the scheme from the email. Did you have to do anything else and like when did they give you information about what department you will be working in and when does the actual scheme start like in sept or august or june
Original post by Robot2000
After you got accepted by the scheme from the email. Did you have to do anything else and like when did they give you information about what department you will be working in and when does the actual scheme start like in sept or august or june

You get placed into the department you did your interview/assessments for. So for example, I was invited to the assessment centre by the Treasury, once I passed my offer was to do my placement year at the Treasury.

Your start date is random because you'll be taking over a role carried out from a student in the previous year's cohort, therefore it depends on when they choose their end date to be. In my department there were 17-18 students, the earliest start date was the beginning of June, the latest was the end of August so varies massively and you don't all start together. I know that typically the ONS has their start dates later, normally in September. Your future line manager will reach out roughly around April time to introduce themselves and say your start date. Then when you start you'll normally overlap with the previous year's student in your role by a week or two for a handover week.
But did you have to give like a reference from your personal tutor. And was the workload hard.
Original post by Robot2000
But did you have to give like a reference from your personal tutor. And was the workload hard.

Perhaps it's changed since 2018/9 but when I applied you had to fill in this application form with all your grades and details, answer three 300 word questions and also give two academic references (like your personal tutor or a lecturer familiar with the quality of your work).

In terms of the difficulty of the workload, that's practically impossible to answer because every role is different and it also depends how smart you are.
What do you guys think the chances are of being accepted from the reserve list?
Original post by AshvinKanda
What do you guys think the chances are of being accepted from the reserve list?

It's certainly greater than zero so don't lose hope! I knew someone who got accepted off the reserve list so it clearly does happen as some people get other placement year offers that they prefer. I'm not sure how the current economic climate impacts the likelihood, it probably makes it a little less likely but the fact you're on the reserve list shows they haven't flat out rejected you.
It's certainly greater than zero so don't lose hope! I knew someone who got accepted off the reserve list so it clearly does happen as some people get other placement year offers that they prefer. I'm not sure how the current economic climate impacts the likelihood, it probably makes it a little less likely but the fact you're on the reserve list shows they haven't flat out rejected you.

how long ago was that if you dont mind me asking
how long ago was that if you dont mind me asking

Are you asking how long ago were they accepted off the reserve list?
Are you asking how long ago were they accepted off the reserve list?

Yes which year did they get accepted off the reserve list
Perhaps it's changed since 2018/9 but when I applied you had to fill in this application form with all your grades and details, answer three 300 word questions and also give two academic references (like your personal tutor or a lecturer familiar with the quality of your work).

In terms of the difficulty of the workload, that's practically impossible to answer because every role is different and it also depends how smart you are.

Since last year we just had a pass/ fail, do I just say I had a pass due to corona, I was on trek for a 2;1
Yes which year did they get accepted off the reserve list

The student was in the 2019/20 cohort, may have changed since then as you're all applying for 21/22.

Original post by the redmandeer
Since last year we just had a pass/ fail, do I just say I had a pass due to corona, I was on trek for a 2;1

Well you didn't fail so I assume so. Don't they still ask for you to be on track for a minimum 2.1?
The student was in the 2019/20 cohort, may have changed since then as you're all applying for 21/22.

Well you didn't fail so I assume so. Don't they still ask for you to be on track for a minimum 2.1?

yeah they do however when I asked my uni, they said they don't have predicted grades and said it would be fine
Original post by the redmandeer
yeah they do however when I asked my uni, they said they don't have predicted grades and said it would be fine

Yeah universities don't do predicted grades like schools. If you current average is above 60% then you're fine.
Yeah universities don't do predicted grades like schools. If you current average is above 60% then you're fine.

we do a range of online quizzes / grade hw and online assessments, do I add up all these components and average it of that ?

Thanks mate, how long did it take between getting the inital reserve email and an offer ?

Quick Reply