The Student Room Group

Please help me:

Hi, im going into year 9 this september (yes i’m only 13 lol) and our school is making us pick subjects to do more of and focus on for Y9 and we have to choose by 22nd january. We only have to choose three and i chose textiles, spanish and geography. I want to become a veterinarian or a zoo veterinarian. Also, we have to choose 2 reserves in case we don’t get the subjects we want. So i was just wondering what other subjects could be useful. This is the list of the subjects we can choose from:
Computing
Music
Religion
French
Spanish
P.E
Design and technology
Art
Marketing and enterprise
Performing Arts
Textile design
Media studies
History
Geography
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Make sure that you are doing all three sciences and preferable triple / separate science and higher, not trilogy / double / combined science. Otherwise pick what you are interested in or what you will enjoy for GCSEs. In the end, the options don't really matter.
For your reserves, just pick the two subjects you’re most interested in after the ones you’ve already chosen :smile:
Reply 3
at this level I wouldn't worry to much about choosing subjects in terms of their use (I'm assuming you mean useful for your chosen profession). As long as you do well Inthe core subjects (science, English, math etc) you will get into a good university where you can do a zoology degree. if I were you I'd chose subjects your interested in or might enjoy - you will develop general academic skills and transferable skills through any of them really.
Hi I do art, geography, religion, Turkish and media studies and I can say that art may not be that good if your not interested as it’s a lot of long hours and hard work. However media studies is very interesting and fun and can help with confidence as you do presentations sometimes. Geography can get a bit boring after a while as I am good at it but find it so boring due to the teacher as well. Religion is very very fun and interesting in my school as the teacher is very fun and helpful as well and is something you can use for life as well to understand other peoples religion and if you have one. History is very helpful for English as I heard from my friend it can help you answer the questions and also you learn about the past. I use to do french but dropped it as took up to much of my time and wanted to prioritise my more important gcse that I need for the career I want as well. Overall my top ones I say are good that you may also like are media studies, religion, performing arts and history maybe but history and geography may be too much. I got into all of my first so there is always a high chance most get in I think or if not they may put you in the waiting list if others also want to get in
Reply 5
Original post by Deggs_14
Make sure that you are doing all three sciences and preferable triple / separate science and higher, not trilogy / double / combined science. Otherwise pick what you are interested in or what you will enjoy for GCSEs. In the end, the options don't really matter.

Thank you 💖
Reply 6
Original post by Sah286
at this level I wouldn't worry to much about choosing subjects in terms of their use (I'm assuming you mean useful for your chosen profession). As long as you do well Inthe core subjects (science, English, math etc) you will get into a good university where you can do a zoology degree. if I were you I'd chose subjects your interested in or might enjoy - you will develop general academic skills and transferable skills through any of them really.

Thank you 💖
I agree as choose something that you also enjoy as you should enjoy the subjects instead of dread them and you can always change in year 10 at the start of the term if it’s not too late if you think you made a wrong choice or dislike the subject
Reply 8
Original post by laurawatt
For your reserves, just pick the two subjects you’re most interested in after the ones you’ve already chosen :smile:

Thank you 💖
Original post by Hailey629
Hi I do art, geography, religion, Turkish and media studies and I can say that art may not be that good if your not interested as it’s a lot of long hours and hard work. However media studies is very interesting and fun and can help with confidence as you do presentations sometimes. Geography can get a bit boring after a while as I am good at it but find it so boring due to the teacher as well. Religion is very very fun and interesting in my school as the teacher is very fun and helpful as well and is something you can use for life as well to understand other peoples religion and if you have one. History is very helpful for English as I heard from my friend it can help you answer the questions and also you learn about the past. I use to do french but dropped it as took up to much of my time and wanted to prioritise my more important gcse that I need for the career I want as well. Overall my top ones I say are good that you may also like are media studies, religion, performing arts and history maybe but history and geography may be too much. I got into all of my first so there is always a high chance most get in I think or if not they may put you in the waiting list if others also want to get in
(edited 3 years ago)
Which subjects are you considering at the moment?😄
Reply 10
Which subjects are you considering at the moment?😄

For Y9 or GCSE’s ?

For Y9 i think I’m doing textiles, spanish and geography and for the the reserves i might do art as I enjoy it and maybe media studies like you said. But for GCSE’s I’m still not sure. 😄🤔
(edited 3 years ago)
Wouldn’t these already be your gcse subjects as I picked mine in year 9
Reply 12
Wouldn’t these already be your gcse subjects as I picked mine in year 9

No, we pick them again in Y10 for GCSE’s but i wanted to think about what subjects i would want to focus on in Y9 to get good at.
That’s good thinking as if you do subjects you like now and then want to continue them it can benefit you as well as you would know more things for the exam in year 11

Quick Reply

Latest