The Student Room Group

History vs History & Modern Language

Hello all,

I'm a Year 12 student currently looking at the courses that I would like to pursue my undergraduate course at university. I love history and it is a true passion of mine but I also enjoy German, which I did in GCSE and am currently doing at A-Level alongside History of course.

I only discovered recently of the joint degree involving History and a Modern Language, which sounds amazing to me but I can't seem to find much info on the courses. I would appreciate any insight into the History & Modern Language degree and find out more in terms of how it differs from a sole history degree.

I'm eyeing Oxbridge and would like to do anything to increase my chances of being admitted. Is there less competition for the History & Modern Language course?
Original post by Godwinson
Hello all,

I'm a Year 12 student currently looking at the courses that I would like to pursue my undergraduate course at university. I love history and it is a true passion of mine but I also enjoy German, which I did in GCSE and am currently doing at A-Level alongside History of course.

I only discovered recently of the joint degree involving History and a Modern Language, which sounds amazing to me but I can't seem to find much info on the courses. I would appreciate any insight into the History & Modern Language degree and find out more in terms of how it differs from a sole history degree.

I'm eyeing Oxbridge and would like to do anything to increase my chances of being admitted. Is there less competition for the History & Modern Language course?

I dont know the details but I would think that History would be a more popular course because fewer people would know or even be interested in studying History and a Modern Language.

For Cambridge, you can compare the stats here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Personally, I suggest that you consider Cambridge as one of your options. If you do, consider Jesus or Girton. Good luck.
Hello all,

I'm puzzled that you can't find much information on these courses. What are you trying to find out?
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont know the details but I would think that History would be a more popular course because fewer people would know or even be interested in studying History and a Modern Language.

For Cambridge, you can compare the stats here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Personally, I suggest that you consider Cambridge as one of your options. If you do, consider Jesus or Girton. Good luck.

Wired, thanks for the recommendations. May I ask why you would suggest Jesus or Girton?
I'm very new to Oxbridge stuff and barely know the admissions process, let alone the colleges! The only college I do know is Girton because my German teacher went there. He was very keen with me applying to Girton but I do keep hearing that Girton is miles away from campus!
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm puzzled that you can't find much information on these courses. What are you trying to find out?

Sorry, maybe I didn't express it properly. I'm after opinions from people who have taken the History & Modern Language courses?
@Oxford Mum Is there a section on this in your magnum opus?
Wired, thanks for the recommendations. May I ask why you would suggest Jesus or Girton?
I'm very new to Oxbridge stuff and barely know the admissions process, let alone the colleges! The only college I do know is Girton because my German teacher went there. He was very keen with me applying to Girton but I do keep hearing that Girton is miles away from campus!

I liked Girton and Jesus.

I suggest that you follow the Cambridge UG applicants there here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6848346&page=35

You can ask questions and follow the discussions.

If your German teacher studied at Girton, I would suggest that you choose Girton because he may give firsthand knowledge of the College.

Cambridge does not have a campus, so don't be worried about Girton’s location. The key is getting into Cambridge.

There is such a thing as "Girton calves" which you are supposed to develop when you are cycling all the way from Girton into the city.:wink:
Hello all,

Yes, you can study history and a modern language at Oxford (never knew that)

https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/ba-history-and-modern-languages

Here is Oxford Demystified, with many hints on application, mythbusting, schemes etc

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480

Plus you will find individual subject chapters. I don't have a chapter featuring your actual degree, but I do have separate history and German chapters.

Ironically, I do know a lot about German at Oxford, because my elder son studied German sole. My son wrote the German chapter. I wrote the MLAT section for him.

When we bumped into the Exeter College rector, Dame Frances Cairncross, and told her which degree he wanted to study, she said "that's a good one". By that, she meant, "that's easy to get into". When I was younger, all linguists tended to study French and German. Now, Spanish seems all the rage, conjuring up images of sun sea and sombreros. As a result, many German departments have closed down (for example at sons' local comprehensive/academy). So if the subject is not on offer in schools, nobody from those schools will apply for German.

The interview rate for applicants is very high (over 90%) etc etc. History is a different ballgame and your chances will lessen if you want to bring history into the mix. But I am just giving you some info to chew on, there!

The same degree is available at Cambridge

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history-and-modern-languages

Again, I do not have a history and ML chapter in Cambridge Demystified, but I do have separate languages and history chapters.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467286

Have a look at both subject web pages and the relevant chapters, and make your choice.
Sorry, maybe I didn't express it properly. I'm after opinions from people who have taken the History & Modern Language courses?

I'm afraid finding someone on TSR who has taken the course would be a rarity. Most people use TSR to get into Oxford then leave for their essay filled, college formals ridden lives.

That means your left with me, but I'm not a bad old stick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending