The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pippin110
Just going to add in that I didn’t mention I applied for history. If anyone needs any tips or advice on PS etc, plz feel free to ask :smile:

yes pls that would be amazing! I'll pm you :smile:
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry

2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
I want to do natural sciences because I'm interested in studying physics along with something else so that I get a more interdisciplinary education but still end up with a degree in physics.

3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
99999999888A*

4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
My answer to Q3

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
NSAA and probably June/July or something.

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
Isaac Physics questions. Nuclear physics masterclass with the University of York.

7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
Don't quite know yet haha

8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

No but my school pushes us to apply to Jesus college although I doubt I will apply there since it's quite a big college.
1) What A Levels are you taking from September ?
I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry

I want to study natural sciences because I am very interested in physics but I would also like to continue learning about other sciences like chemistry and maybe even cell biology :smile:

3) What grades did you get at GCSE?

I prefer the Cambridge science course, I would study physics at oxford but I like the idea of studying more than one science.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
The NSAA, I haven't really thought about it probably over summer or something

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
I've done a lot of Isaac physics questions, I have watched quite a lot of lectures on youtube, I did a nuclear physics masterclass (york uni) over summer and lots of general reading/research about physics (articles, podcasts etc.)

I think I want to go into research, possibly in biological or particle physics or I want to work in a hospital as a medical physicist.

I think I'm going to apply to Jesus or Christ's but I'm not 100% sure
Original post by philogrobized
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry

I want to do natural sciences because I'm interested in studying physics along with something else so that I get a more interdisciplinary education but still end up with a degree in physics.

99999999888A*

My answer to Q3

NSAA and probably June/July or something.

Isaac Physics questions. Nuclear physics masterclass with the University of York.

Don't quite know yet haha

No but my school pushes us to apply to Jesus college although I doubt I will apply there since it's quite a big college.

Wait why would you not apply to oxford cause of ur gcses
Original post by Mayataylor

well I never thought about what unis to apply to in terms of my grades because I don't think it really makes a difference (between Oxbridge), especially now because of the grade inflation and stuff :smile:
Original post by Mayataylor

I'm pretty sure that they meant to reference Q2...
Original post by ScienceApply_22
I'm pretty sure that they meant to reference Q2...

Yeah and also this

English lit, History, Maths (and an EPQ in yr13) I wish I had taken chemistry or furthermaths though- I really miss chemistry! And I am scared that three alevels won't be enough

English Literature- I like reading and don't really know what I want to do in the future and with an English degree you can go into lots of different fields. I do enjoy reading as well.
However I am questioning whether english is right for me. I haven't really enjoyed a level so far but I don't like any of the other degrees I could take with my a levels. I am hoping I can regain my love for english. I think a degree in english is very different from the a level any way and the main reason I am not liking english is that I don't like one of my teachers. I think I wanted to do an english degree originally because I like reading and am not as excited about analysis and interpretation- I don't think I would pick english if I could chose my a levels again so we'll see what I end up doing!

9999999997 (7 was in art and no retakes) I hope my 7 doesn't disadvantage me.

I like how you can cover every literary period at Cambridge- at other uni's there are more optional modules so you don't really cover everything. The Oxford course features some english language as well which I am not intersted in and you can only pick one optional module in yr3 whereas at Cambridge you can do 2. There are also more papers you can swap for dissertations at Cambridge. I prefer the town as well!

ELAT- I will start preparing over the summer hols. I will do past papers and practice close analysis.

Not a lot. I read quite a few novels but that was just for fun but it will help my application. I have listened to one lecture and will do a MOOC. Looking through this thread I fell really underprepared- everyone else has done so much extra work. There is an essay competition I will enter as well and might start a literary blog.

No idea. This question assumes I have already got in and it is so unlikely I won't get in that I wonder if it is worth applying.

Jesus, Emmanuel, Downing, Selwyn, Trinity Hall or another one! Basically no idea again. I would like one with a lot of outdoor space as this would be nice in the summer!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lily_23

English lit, History, Maths (and an EPQ in yr13)

English Literature- I like reading and don't really know what I want to do in the future and with an English degree you can go into lots of different fields. I do enjoy reading as well.
However I am questioning whether english is right for me. I haven't really enjoyed a level so far but I don't like any of the other degrees I could take with my a levels. I am hoping I can regain my love for english. I think a degree in english is very different from the a level any way and the main reason I am not liking english is that I don't like one of my teachers. I think I wanted to do an english degree originally because I like reading and am not as excited about analysis and interpretation- I don't think I would pick english if I could chose my a levels again so we'll see what I end up doing!

9999999997 (7 was in art and no retakes) I hope my 7 doesn't disadvantage me.

I like how you can cover every literary period at Cambridge- at other uni's there are more optional modules so you don't really cover everything. The Oxford course features some english language as well which I am not intersted in and you can only pick one optional module in yr3 whereas at Cambridge you can do 2. There are also more papers you can swap for dissertations at Cambridge. I prefer the town as well!

ELAT- I will start preparing over the summer hols. I will do past papers and practice close analysis.

Not a lot. I read quite a few novels but that was just for fun but it will help my application. I have listened to one lecture and will do a MOOC. Looking through this thread I fell really underprepared- everyone else has done so much extra work. There is an essay competition I will enter as well and might start a literary blog.

No idea. This question assumes I have already got in and it is so unlikely I won't get in that I wonder if it is worth applying.

Jesus, Emmanuel, Downing, Selwyn, Trinity Hall or another one! Basically no idea again. I would like one with a lot of outdoor space as this would be nice in the summer!

Don't be put off with the other posts in this thread because i think there are far fewer resources to prepare for an English course compared to STEM subjects and stuff which is not your fault :smile: Also I don't think your 7 in art will disadvantage you because the rest of your grades are 9s.
wow you guys are ahead of the curve :clap2:
Don't be put off with the other posts in this thread because i think there are far fewer resources to prepare for an English course compared to STEM subjects and stuff which is not your fault :smile: Also I don't think your 7 in art will disadvantage you because the rest of your grades are 9s.

That is a very good point about having more resources for STEM subjects. There are so many more websites and podcasts and lectures and MOOC's about science/maths. But I suppose English is not as important as STEM subjects in the modern world so no one really cares about literature anymore.
Original post by Lily_23
That is a very good point about having more resources for STEM subjects. There are so many more websites and podcasts and lectures and MOOC's about science/maths. But I suppose English is not as important as STEM subjects in the modern world so no one really cares about literature anymore.

It is true that less and less people are choosing English lit but I suppose that makes people that do English lit more important :smile:
It is true that less and less people are choosing English lit but I suppose that makes people that do English lit more important :smile:

Not when english lit is a pretty useless subject. The modern world is built on science and there is no room for literature or culture anymore which is a shame. It is not helped by Boris and his government saying how useless humanities are and how STEM is so much more important. At my school we didn't have any careers advice so I just chose english because I sort of liked it. But looking at job prospects I would do a STEM degree if I had the choice.
Original post by Lily_23
Not when english lit is a pretty useless subject. The modern world is built on science and there is no room for literature or culture anymore which is a shame. It is not helped by Boris and his government saying how useless humanities are and how STEM is so much more important. At my school we didn't have any careers advice so I just chose english because I sort of liked it. But looking at job prospects I would do a STEM degree if I had the choice.

hmm I wouldn't say it's useless. A lot of careers aren't based on STEM. My sister did English history maths at a level (and bio at AS) and she's studying liberal arts which is quite the opposite of anything to do with stem. As she's graduating soon, she's been looking at career prospects and they aren't lacking.
hmm I wouldn't say it's useless. A lot of careers aren't based on STEM. My sister did English history maths at a level (and bio at AS) and she's studying liberal arts which is quite the opposite of anything to do with stem. As she's graduating soon, she's been looking at career prospects and they aren't lacking.

But compared to STEM or finance/economics graduates they are lacking. But to counter what I have been saying I read an article that said by the time people are about 40 yrs old, STEM graduates earn about the same as liberal arts/humanities graduates because STEM jobs constantly require new skills to be learnt, and younger graduates already have this knowledge. So maybe I am wrong- I think my school is very STEM focused so I get bogged down in the constant stream of opportunities and encouragement to pursue STEM degrees. I have never had any career advice so no one has ever told me what I could do with an english degree.
Original post by Lily_23
But compared to STEM or finance/economics graduates they are lacking. But to counter what I have been saying I read an article that said by the time people are about 40 yrs old, STEM graduates earn about the same as liberal arts/humanities graduates because STEM jobs constantly require new skills to be learnt, and younger graduates already have this knowledge. So maybe I am wrong- I think my school is very STEM focused so I get bogged down in the constant stream of opportunities and encouragement to pursue STEM degrees. I have never had any career advice so no one has ever told me what I could do with an english degree.

yeah that is true, because stem degrees are more content based than something like law or politics.

I'll attach a link to this website that tells you everything about graduate prospects from a degree. it's already on the English degree but you can change it to other courses you may be interested in :smile:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/english
yeah that is true, because stem degrees are more content based than something like law or politics.

I'll attach a link to this website that tells you everything about graduate prospects from a degree. it's already on the English degree but you can change it to other courses you may be interested in :smile:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/english

Thankyou very much for the link- it has given me some confidence that I won't be completely destitute doing an english degree. Given the choice again I would pick more science subjects-I really miss chemistry! And I am really bored with all the writing we have to do. And it is so hard to revise for english/history becuase there is no mark scheme or actual definitive answer- I found past papers for science so useful and really fun and I really miss that now. And I am sick of the endless conversations and discussions my teachers force us to have- I just what to learn what I have to know for the exam not talk about what we all think. I liked chemistry because there was one answer so we didn't need to discuss that answer- and I'm really shy so I liked this. But we live and learn!
(edited 3 years ago)
The whole point of Cambridge interviews is to find out how you think, therefore finding out how you think in class is excellent preparation for Cambridge.

Even with science they want you to break down the problem and explain how you would go about solving problems.

I once met a trinity college Cambridge maths student, who said that people think they will get in if they are brilliant at doing sums in their heads like a computer, but what they are looking for is someone who can solve maths problems in groups.

@Lily_23
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by zacn01

Wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2021 for entry in 2022!

Even though we're only about to start Year 12, it wouldn't be so much of a bad idea to have a declaration of intent, to come back to every once in a while, or to stake out your competition, anything that can motivate you to be the best applicant possible.
Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!
I'll try to update the thread with information & advice, as I'm a stickler for info.
Shamelessly lifted (slightly) from @New Wonder and @tash299792's threads, please reply to this thread introducing yourself:
(Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is a year in advance don't forget!)

Cambridge's Statement on GCSEs:
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.
September (Virtual) Open Day:
Book your attendance now!
From the Cambridge University website:
On Thursday 17 and Friday 18 September you will have the opportunity ask current students and staff questions in live general, subject and College Q&A sessions. Please note that the live online sessions offered on Thursday 17 and Friday 18 September will be broadly the same on both days.

Additionally, from Monday 14 September to Sunday 20 September, you will be able to find out about the University and Colleges by accessing pre-recorded presentations about our courses, the Colleges and departments, the application process, student life, and finance. A programme containing full details will be released in mid-September.

Useful Links/Threads
Oxford Demystified: by @Oxford Mum - A book containing extremely helpful information on how to make your application to Oxford (even when not applying to Oxford, this info can go a long way into making you a stronger application regardless) - also subject chapters written by offer holders detailing (within TSR rules) how they made successful applications to Oxford! Something that will come in handy when we make our applications next year for sure! link

Cambridge Demystified: by @Oxford Mum - For slightly more relevant information pertaining to Cambridge, this is also an invaluable tool that we can use to really 'suss out' how other people have made successful applications. Remember however that thousands of applicants make perfectly valid cases of themselves (without being successful), so this is a guide in the right direction rather than solid law when it comes to our applications. link

General Oxbridge Resources: When it comes to university, not every applicant has equal exposure, therefore it is up to those with the information to divulge it. Kindly, @Oxford Mum has decided to devote a thread for this aforementioned purpose, for the benefit of us prospective Cambridge applicants. link

For all your questions, @Peterhouse Admissions is quite active on this site, and so feel free to

Spoiler

ask them anything regarding admissions and Cambridge in general!

Good luck everyone!!

Business studies, History, Sociology (and hopefully an EPQ)
Law, I personally just love the theoretical aspect and the academic discussion of law but also I want a decent career from my degree so law is a great fit for me (plus I'm a fan of essay heavy subjects due to my love of debate)
in order of worst to best 677788888 the 6 being in maths but I'm not retaking any of them
the electives offered by Cambridge to expand my knowledge and follow my academic interest as well as Cambridge's reputation for law
CLT (Cambridge law test), I will prep for it alongside the LNAT after my Jan/Feb. mocks or somewhere around when we are set to return to schools.
not much so far though I do plan to do a couple of MOOCs and a bit of wider reading
Do a masters in law then become a barrister (no clue on my specialty but its probably going to be criminal or human rights)
I have no clue but if anyone knows which colleges are great for criminal or human rights or good support for autistic applicants (I have Asperger's syndrome) then please tell me.
Original post by Oxford Mum
The whole point of Cambridge interviews is to find out how you think, therefore finding out how you think in class is excellent preparation for Cambridge.

Even with science they want you to break down the problem and explain how you would go about solving problems.

I once met a trinity college Cambridge maths student, who said that people think they will get in if they are brilliant at doing sums in their heads like a computer, but what they are looking for is someone who can solve maths problems in groups.

@Lily_23

Well I will never pass the interview then! I always knew it would be a weakness of mine but I am really bad at saying what I think and talking in front of people. I am just too shy.

Do you have any advice on how to get through the interview?

Latest

Trending

Trending