The Student Room Group

Who should lead in a relationship

In a healthy relationship, do you think the man should lead or should the woman lead? Or should it be an equal partnership?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
In a healthy relationship, do you think the man should lead or should the woman lead? Or should it be an equal partnership?

Leading what specific aspects of the relationship? The bedroom/sex, general/social plans, household, planning the dates.

I think most women are generslly attracted to men who will take the lead in these aspects. But men like to see some initiative from the woman too
The particpants determine the parameters of a healthy relationship.
Original post by Admit-One
The particpants determine the parameters of a healthy relationship.

ooo check this dude out...using big words

but yeah, what you said
Reply 4
Original post by oglez92
Leading what specific aspects of the relationship? The bedroom/sex, general/social plans, household, planning the dates.

I think most women are generslly attracted to men who will take the lead in these aspects. But men like to see some initiative from the woman too

Is this actually true though? Or is it an old fashioned view?
Will probably get flack for this by feminists and the like, but I believe men should be the leaders in a relationship.

A wise grandad once said - ''Never let a woman stipulate the rules and engagements of the relationship. If she does, misery starts immediately.''
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Will probably get flack for this by feminists and the like, but I believe men should be the leaders in a relationship.

A wise grandad once said - ''Never let a woman stipulate the rules and engagements of the relationship. If she does, misery starts immediately.''

Would it depend on the personalities of the men and women involved though? There are a lot of couples where the woman is the “bread winner” and generally Lead the interactions. And they’re still happy couples.
neither the man or woman; both should be equal stakeholders in the relationship.
Would it depend on the personalities of the men and women involved though? There are a lot of couples where the woman is the “bread winner” and generally Lead the interactions. And they’re still happy couples.

If they're happy with the relationship being that way then sure, go right ahead. I'm not here to assert control over another's man's relationship.

But on the flip side, I believe men should be leaders, and that includes leading in the relationship.

The essence of a man is to be assertive and set boundaries but at the same time remain stoic, level-headed and calm.
Reply 9
Is this actually true though? Or is it an old fashioned view?

It's biology
I don't think there is a "should". People are different, relationships are different; whatever works for each couple.

A wise grandmother once said - "The man is the head in a relationships, but the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head any way she wants" ...
Original post by black tea
A wise grandmother once said - "The man is the head in a relationships, but the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head any way she wants" ...

If I'm understanding that quote correctly, that doesn't sound like a good thing.
If I'm understanding that quote correctly, that doesn't sound like a good thing.

why not?
Reply 14
My family is Irish, the women are always in control :lol:

For me I’d want it to be equal. A relationship should be a partner ship (for me at least)
why not?

Well going by my interpretation, it says to me that the woman controls the man and his decisions/how he thinks.
Well going by my interpretation, it says to me that the woman controls the man and his decisions/how he thinks.

Well yeah, it's saying that the man is in change but that woman directing him; but that can be interpreted in a couple of ways - that they are working together or that the woman is manipulating/controlling the man (I've heard it used to mean both).
I think relationships should be totally equal, both should give and take, there should always be open communication, honesty, and trust.
Well yeah, it's saying that the man is in change but that woman directing him; but that can be interpreted in a couple of ways - that they are working together or that the woman is manipulating/controlling the man (I've heard it used to mean both).

Appreciate the clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending