The Student Room Group

I want an 8 in Maths

I'm currently working at a 7 but I want at least an 8 but now that exams have sort of been cancelled, I don't know how to show my teacher that I deserve an 8 because I genuinely have been working hard to improve :frown:
I'm a year 13 and so I guess we're both in the same boat with exam cancellations. I know for us, we'll be doing informal assessments whenever we get back to help teachers see how we've gotten on with progress. Is it the same for you?

I got an 8 in maths by the way, so feel free to ask about anything.
Reply 2
Original post by danielhaslam19
I'm a year 13 and so I guess we're both in the same boat with exam cancellations. I know for us, we'll be doing informal assessments whenever we get back to help teachers see how we've gotten on with progress. Is it the same for you?

I got an 8 in maths by the way, so feel free to ask about anything.

Thank you for the reply, my school hasn't really told us much about what will happen if and when we go back so I genuinely am not sure. I just don't know how to go about getting that grade up and how to prove that I'm doing that. Do you do maths a level?
Reply 3
Original post by Stanley Morgan
I got a 7 in 2017

It is not fair that 2020 2021 cohort get free grades

I definitely wouldn't call it free grades, our exams were not even cancelled, rather they were just moved forward and are now called "mini-assessments". It is no way shape or form easy for us.
Original post by ca_1234
Thank you for the reply, my school hasn't really told us much about what will happen if and when we go back so I genuinely am not sure. I just don't know how to go about getting that grade up and how to prove that I'm doing that. Do you do maths a level?

Yeah, I do maths A-Level (Edexcel).

It's probably best to ask around subject teachers tomorrow, they should be able to let you know about assessments. They're all school-based meaning exam boards won't dictate what tests will be put out, so teachers will pick and choose what tests their students will sit -- as far as I know.
I got a 7 in 2017

What else did you want them to do? Not give us our gcses?
Reply 6
Original post by ca_1234

The usual gcse advice for getting 8/9 is to do hard (grade 9) questions. There are several books, pdfs on websites, threads in f38, ... with such questions. They will improve your understanding, though it's hard to say what is happening this year.
There was a related thread about this (a week ago) and some good links / advice on there.

Edit - see
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=92910742
(edited 3 years ago)
I got a 7 in 2017

"Free grades".

If you call 3 years of work alongside many months of stress and uncertainty because of unstable learning regimes, broken algorithms and incompetent governance, negligible, then sure, you may call them "free grades".

Quick Reply

Latest