The Student Room Group

Laptop recommendations for uni?

I currently have a MacBook Pro ( 5 years old now ) but it literally heats up so easily and it’s hard to even game. The only thing I only use it for now is doing essays on google docs.

I was wondering what laptops are good for uni work, gaming ( eg sims ) and possibly video editing. My budget is around £1300 the most as that’s how much I’ve saved up.

Any recommendations will be appreciated thanks!
Reply 1
Also anything preferably that is not too heavy
Original post by npic9
I currently have a MacBook Pro ( 5 years old now ) but it literally heats up so easily and it’s hard to even game. The only thing I only use it for now is doing essays on google docs.

I was wondering what laptops are good for uni work, gaming ( eg sims ) and possibly video editing. My budget is around £1300 the most as that’s how much I’ve saved up.

MacBook Pro 2020?
Reply 3
Original post by AM°
MacBook Pro 2020?

I’ve heard that the new MacBook heats up, but thank you :smile:
Id go MacBook Pro 2020. They start at 1200 I think for 13in plus if you wait for the student offer you’ll get 10% off and free AirPods,Beats studios or something else that’s what I got last year.

Also it’s better for compatibility if you have an iPhone, iPad etc already
Reply 5
Original post by Ivyreign
Id go MacBook Pro 2020. They start at 1200 I think for 13in plus if you wait for the student offer you’ll get 10% off and free AirPods,Beats studios or something else that’s what I got last year.

Also it’s better for compatibility if you have an iPhone, iPad etc already

Is it good for gaming? I’ve heard a few bad stuff about it hence why I’m hesitant on buying it, also I didn’t know they still do the beats offer I thought it was only for AirPods.
Original post by AM°
MacBook Pro 2020?

That is well above the OP's budget
Original post by npic9
Is it good for gaming? I’ve heard a few bad stuff about it hence why I’m hesitant on buying it, also I didn’t know they still do the beats offer I thought it was only for AirPods.

The beats offer was 2 years ago last year was AirPods. Idk about gaming as I don’t game I just use mine for college work.
Original post by ThiagoBrigido

Not really you can get a basic spec one for 1299, plus they’d get 10% off that as a student
Original post by ThiagoBrigido

It’s on sale on curry’s. £1050
Original post by npic9

For £1300, the Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and M1 MacBook Air are going to be your best options. Both are very good laptops for their price range, with great performance(although the MacBook has a lead), great build quality, great battery life and great displays. It's just a case of whether you want to stick with macOS or switch to Windows.

Also, the MacBook Pro isn't really worth it over the MacBook Air unless you explicitly want the longer battery life as they both have the same performance, similar displays (the MBP just gets a bit brighter), and the MBA is £300 cheaper.
(edited 3 years ago)
surface pro
Original post by npic9

You could go to an internet shop and ask them to replace the current thermal paste with a new one. You shouldn't be really be playing on macbooks but if its games similar to SIMS (demand wise) then that's fine
Original post by npic9

if the MacBook Air 2020 has 3.6 teraflops of graphic power on an integrated graphic chip, the pro would probably nearing the 4-5 teraflops graphic power which is pretty powerful. It won't hold up to a hugely graphically intensive game but sims would work just fine. Also the M1 chip is FAST. Ask in faster than most intel and AMD chips you can find out there. All laptops heat up but it won't over heat or anything like that (for many there may be a few users that experience this.) Also I don't know about the beats.
Hope this helps
Hayden

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending