The Student Room Group

Geography NEA help

Hi,
I am struggling to come up with ideas for my Geography NEA (like residential personal assessment study thing).
We are going to North Wales with the following locations available to study.
-coast
-river
-peatbog
-forest
-village
-town

We can basically do anything in the OCR course but I am trying to fit it around Earths life support systems (water and carbon cycle), coasts or disease, or a way to link two together.

Please help. Thanks
Reply 1
I’m i year 13 and have just finished the NEA, would definitely recommend doing your NEA on physical geography (ELS, coasts or whichever topic you’re studying) because it’s so much easier to compare numerical data to subjective data that you usually get from doing questionnaires etc in human geography. I did mine on how the pebble size increases as the gradient of a beach gets steeper on a coast. Hope that helps a bit
I'm have just finished Year 12 and have just started the whole NEA Process. Like you, we were able to choose from three different topics: Coasts, Carbon Cycle and Human. I found it really hard to find something I was semi interested in as the NEA takes up a lot of time and so you have to be interested in it, but the topic also has to be realistic in terms of collecting data. I am doing mine on the carbon cycle and seeing whether the management in the forest is actually focused on carbon sequestration or on other things. Other people in the group did about pebble size and longshore drift, or on human factors such as the effect of a certain scheme on a local village. Sorry I know this may not help now as is quite late.
Original post by Kappo99
I’m i year 13 and have just finished the NEA, would definitely recommend doing your NEA on physical geography (ELS, coasts or whichever topic you’re studying) because it’s so much easier to compare numerical data to subjective data that you usually get from doing questionnaires etc in human geography. I did mine on how the pebble size increases as the gradient of a beach gets steeper on a coast. Hope that helps a bit

How much secondary data did you use? Im doing mine atm for physical and am struggling to think of useful secondary data. I am doing factors which effect infiltration rates.
Reply 4
Original post by chemandbio
How much secondary data did you use? Im doing mine atm for physical and am struggling to think of useful secondary data. I am doing factors which effect infiltration rates.

I can’t really remember what I wrote, but I looked on websites about the area of study and pulled in data from there. Most of that was included in my literature review in the intro, but I think that your NEA should be largely focused on your own primary data. Definitely still include plenty of secondary data though. Journals can be useful as well as websites to collect it. I would even type in your own hypothesis online and see if anyone else has done a similar study and you can kind of incorporate their ideas into your work. Hope that helps a little bit 😃
Reply 5
Hi I am doing my NEA now and I have also chosen pebble size and sediments on coasts, however due to lockdown I am unable to collect my data at the moment, any ideas?
Reply 6
Original post by RLH17
Hi I am doing my NEA now and I have also chosen pebble size and sediments on coasts, however due to lockdown I am unable to collect my data at the moment, any ideas?

I'm in the exact same position, I'm doing coastal fieldwork but there's no way I can physically collect primary data. My teacher said that we can still do it we just need to use collect 'virtual' primary data, things like google earth etc, and the exam boards are accepting this as far as I know, not sure how it would work for pebble size and sediment tho :frown:
I can't believe you have to do your project in north wales on one of those specific areas. My class have completed there's all over the place aha. We have had people travel to central Europe to do there's or various parts of the UK. I choose to do mine on local political manifestos ahah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending