The Student Room Group

My PGCE contains drama, ict and media. Can I apply to jobs that contain these subject

Hi all.

Hope everyone is well.

I will be starting a PGCE Secondary English in September 2021 with the University of Manchester.

The course details says

PGCE Secondary (English) will train you to teach secondary English in the UK across the 11-16 or 11-18 age range, including the National Curriculum, GCSE and A-level.
It also includes drama, media and information and communication technology.

Does this mean I will also be trained to teach drama, media and ICT? So for example in future if a job comes up as English and Drama teacher, will I be able to apply?

If anyone has completed this PGCE in the past or similar, I'd like to hear your experiences if you'd like to share please.

Thank you
If you have QTS, you can apply for a teaching job in any subject.

I would expect that such a course would make you more likely to be considered for a role as teacher of English and Drama, but it would depend on how much experience you gain teaching drama. Honestly, it seems a bit weird for the course to cover three additional subjects. Maybe ring up the provider and ask for more detail on how it works (particularly how many hours of drama / media / IT you would teach)
Reply 2
Hi bluebeetle, Sorry to sound silly, but what do you mean if I have QTS I can apply for a teaching job in any subject? I thought apart from Primary teaching when it comes to a Secondary PGCE one must have at least 50% of the course background. When I applied, the university stated I must have 50% in either Language or Literature. Yeah, I was thinking of emailing them to ask. I am already an undergrad here but I think I noticed MMU also offers a similar PGCE however they state they 'cover' subjects such as media, drama, and phonics. I will email the lady who interviewed me and see what she says. Thanks
Original post by Smiley91
Hi bluebeetle, Sorry to sound silly, but what do you mean if I have QTS I can apply for a teaching job in any subject? I thought apart from Primary teaching when it comes to a Secondary PGCE one must have at least 50% of the course background. When I applied, the university stated I must have 50% in either Language or Literature. Yeah, I was thinking of emailing them to ask. I am already an undergrad here but I think I noticed MMU also offers a similar PGCE however they state they 'cover' subjects such as media, drama, and phonics. I will email the lady who interviewed me and see what she says. Thanks

Not silly at all. Teacher training courses will have their own requirements for entry, and for many, that requirement will be 50% of your degree being linked to your chosen subject. Some courses have lower requirements - for example, my course only asked for a B in the relevant A-level.

Once you complete teacher training, you will gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). This is required to work in most schools in England. Once you have QTS, there is no 'official' rule stating that you must teach the subject you qualified in. For example, I have a colleague who qualified as a primary teacher and now teaches in secondary maths. The only 'limitation' is what schools will accept - for this reason, it is often easier to move from a non-shortage subject to a shortage subject rather than vice versa.
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
Not silly at all. Teacher training courses will have their own requirements for entry, and for many, that requirement will be 50% of your degree being linked to your chosen subject. Some courses have lower requirements - for example, my course only asked for a B in the relevant A-level.

Once you complete teacher training, you will gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). This is required to work in most schools in England. Once you have QTS, there is no 'official' rule stating that you must teach the subject you qualified in. For example, I have a colleague who qualified as a primary teacher and now teaches in secondary maths. The only 'limitation' is what schools will accept - for this reason, it is often easier to move from a non-shortage subject to a shortage subject rather than vice versa.

Aha, that makes sense. I was told it is not possible to move from Primary to Secondary, but only possible to move from Secondary to Primary. I guess it does depend on what schools will accept. I was also wondering, how easy/difficult is it to find work in the private education sector? For my placements, I think the schools I will be placed at are independent schools, although I thought they needed to be two contrasting schools. I am assuming this is probably because of my personal commitments as I have children and currently do not have a car. Because of this, the lady who interviewed me said she will try to place me as close as possible to home.
Original post by Smiley91
Aha, that makes sense. I was told it is not possible to move from Primary to Secondary, but only possible to move from Secondary to Primary. I guess it does depend on what schools will accept. I was also wondering, how easy/difficult is it to find work in the private education sector? For my placements, I think the schools I will be placed at are independent schools, although I thought they needed to be two contrasting schools. I am assuming this is probably because of my personal commitments as I have children and currently do not have a car. Because of this, the lady who interviewed me said she will try to place me as close as possible to home.

I don't have any personal experience in the private education sector, but what I have heard said is that private schools put more stock in you having a relevant degree and that some private schools much prefer teachers to have been to Oxbridge or another 'big name' university. Maybe somebody else can give a better-informed opinion though!

The expectation is two contrasting schools, however the way in which they are contrasting can be a variety of things. For example, I was placed at one religious school and one non-religious school, so even though they were both Outstanding and had a similar demographic of students in other respects, the religious aspect meant they were contrasting.
Reply 6
That's great. Best I get through my PGCE first! But thank you for the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending