The Student Room Group

CatusStarbright's working-from-home-alone blog!

I moved back to my university flat on Saturday (using the health and wellbeing exemption) and will be home alone at least until Saturday when, all being well, my flatmate will be joining me. This means that for this week I have nobody to keep me accountable, so I thought I would post my goals and my progress in a blog to ensure I don't slack off!

The danger is that whilst I have online open book assessments and two applications (for graduate opportunities) to complete over the next two weeks, this will not take up all my time. In that spare time, I want to work on my dissertation as much as possible, but I worry that I will procrastinate on it.

Without further ado, my goals for this week are:

Complete and submit my EU Law assessment (vital)

Work on my dissertation and submit a new plan to my supervisor by the end of Friday (necessary)

Complete and submit my DWF application (ideally)

Begin my Law Commission application (ideally)

Tagging a few folks who might be happy to help me stay motivated! (let me know if you don't want tagging here anymore, I know some of you are very busy people):

Spoiler

Following the postponement of my flatmate's return, I have decided to continue this blog indefinitely until her return.

As such, my goals for this second week are:

Complete and submit my Land Law assessment (vital)

Complete and submit my DWF application (vital)

Assuming my supervisor agrees, take the very first steps in writing my dissertation (necessary)

Complete and submit my Law Commission application (ideally)

Teaching weeks (weeks 14-22)

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tasks for today (Monday 11th January):

Look at EU assessment after release and plan responses (completed as of 2pm)

Write first draft of question 1 (the problem question) (I am about 70% of the way through, but I've done a more thorough job of the first draft than I had expected)

Get my lateral flow Covid test done (completed as of 12pm)

Start work on my DWF personal statement (made a token effort)

(edited 3 years ago)
You got this Catus :smile: (Keep me tagged please!)
Yiu go kitten!

And yep, please keep tagging me as

A) I have no life 😂
B) we both know I’ll gatecrash regardless, might as well be invited
C) I’m interested.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SnowMiku
You got this Catus :smile: (Keep me tagged please!)

Original post by Andrew97
Yiu go kitten!

And yep, please keep tagging me as

A) I have no life 😂
B) we both know I’ll gatecrash regardless, might as well be invited
C) I’m interested.

Thanks for your support guys!
:yeah:

Go Catus! :yay:
I did subscribe earlier but posting anyway! :tongue:
I've updated my goals to provide a summary of how I got on today.

I lost two hours of productivity earlier as I wasn't feeling 100%, but I'm still fairly pleased with what I have got done today. I went out and got tested, which took about an hour out of my day (I'm negative, yay!), and I've had a thorough look over the EU assessment and planned in my head which essay question I want to do. I have not finished my first draft of the problem question, but what I have got done is pleasing and I have been doing my references properly as I go along which has been slowing me down. I didn't really get round to my DWF personal statement, but I have 11 days until the deadline so that is acceptable.

I have a headache now so I'm going to go relax for a bit before the Morrisons delivery arrives with all my food for the next two weeks!

Spoiler

It's a shame I can't add pictures of my work, as obviously everything is rather confidential!
Nice one. Shame about the headache. Have some water, get some rest and prepare for inevitable dodginess from yours truly.
(edited 3 years ago)
Nice one. Shame about the headache. Have some water, get some rest and prepare for inevitable dodginess from yours truly.

It's gone now fortunately. I took a long screen break and that helped.
Ah what would I do without Andrew dodginess.
Original post by CatusStarbright
It's gone now fortunately. I took a long screen break and that helped.
Ah what would I do without Andrew dodginess.

Yay!

Probably have far more sanity. 😂
Yay!

Probably have far more sanity. 😂

:lol: Maybe!
Tasks for today (Tuesday 12th January):

Complete the problem question from the EU Law assessment (completed as of 4.50pm)

Plan out the essay question response (no need to write today) (completed as of 7.30pm)

Write 200 words of my DWF personal statement (completed as of 9.50pm)

Dissertation: recap what I have so far and plan the next steps (not done)

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Watching the thread :tongue:
Glad to hear you're well :smile:

You've completed half of your list - keep it going, you've got this!
After a nice shower, I now consider the working part of today over and have updated my goals. Unfortunately my phone decided to install a lengthy update as I went to set my alarm so I kind of didn't have a morning, hence why I am finishing late today.

I'm pleased with what I got done. I finished my EU problem question (giving myself another headache in the process), I planned out which essay I will do, and I am ready to start writing tomorrow. I also did get over 200 words of my DWF personal statement done, and I've written a vague structure for the next two paragraphs.

Sadly I did not get round to my dissertation work, and this is becoming a frequent occurrence. I sacrifice spending time on it to complete more immediate priorities too often, and need to work on this moving forwards.

Spoiler

Nice one cacty! I’ll try not to turn grid thread into a flirtfest 😂👀
Great stuff :yay:

On dissertation, consider giving yourself bits of it to do first thing in the morning. Your other priorities or "stuff that's more time dependent and I should do today" can wait until at least mid morning and in some cases (e.g. replying to a few emails) can wait until the evening if non-urgent. :smile:
Nice one cacty! I’ll try not to turn grid thread into a flirtfest 😂👀

Noted!
Original post by 04MR17
Great stuff :yay:

On dissertation, consider giving yourself bits of it to do first thing in the morning. Your other priorities or "stuff that's more time dependent and I should do today" can wait until at least mid morning and in some cases (e.g. replying to a few emails) can wait until the evening if non-urgent. :smile:

That's actually not a bad idea, though I'll point out that late morning is my 'first thing in the morning' :lol:. I'll give it a go moving forwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending