The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

urban planning at Oxford Brookes

Hi, I'm applying for the urban planning course and I just found out that there is an interview.
Does everyone do it or do they just ask a few people to if they have lower grades? as I know a few universities do this
also does anyone know how intense/competitive the interview is and what kind of questions they ask?

Thank you!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm applying for the urban planning course and I just found out that there is an interview.
Does everyone do it or do they just ask a few people to if they have lower grades? as I know a few universities do this
also does anyone know how intense/competitive the interview is and what kind of questions they ask?

Thank you!!!

Hey,

I, unfortunately, don't do Urban planning course, as I do Sociology at Oxford Brookes so I won't be much help in answering your questions... However, I can advise that to check out our platform called Unibuddy, where you can talk to other student ambassadors who actually do an Urban planning degree and could tell you more about the interview process and answer the questions that you might have on there!

Here's the link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/

Hope this helps! I'll be happy to answer any more questions about the university and student life in general! :smile:

Best of luck,

All the best,

Rade
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
I applied for architecture at Oxford Brookes and have also been asked for an interview. I'm not sure how many people they ask to do one, or why. But my predicted grades if you include EPQ come to higher than their standard offer, so it might not be necessarily for lower applicants. I'm hoping its not because of a weak portfolio or anything haha.

Thank you!!!

Original post by hana_mk
I applied for architecture at Oxford Brookes and have also been asked for an interview. I'm not sure how many people they ask to do one, or why. But my predicted grades if you include EPQ come to higher than their standard offer, so it might not be necessarily for lower applicants. I'm hoping its not because of a weak portfolio or anything haha.

Hello @Anonymous and @hana_mk,

Hope everyone is doing well!! We are so excited to hear that you have both considered joining us at Oxford Brookes University! :smile:

In terms of interviews, there may be an interview as a part of your application process depending on the course that you have applied to. The interview is not because of lower grades, but the subject area. For some courses such as Nursing or Teaching, the Interview is one of the stages within the Admission process. Applicants after completing the application with all of the required documents, are shortlisted and invited for an interview. Once this stage is completed, our Admissions team will contact all applicants with their decision. In the case an Interview is involved in the Application process, will be specified on our website, on the course page, under the "How to apply" section.

I hope this will be able to help! If you do have any further questions about the University or student life, please do feel free to ask! We would be more than happy to help! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hello @Anonymous and @hana_mk,

Hope everyone is doing well!! We are so excited to hear that you have both considered joining us at Oxford Brookes University! :smile:

In terms of interviews, there may be an interview as a part of your application process depending on the course that you have applied to. The interview is not because of lower grades, but the subject area. For some courses such as Nursing or Teaching, the Interview is one of the stages within the Admission process. Applicants after completing the application with all of the required documents, are shortlisted and invited for an interview. Once this stage is completed, our Admissions team will contact all applicants with their decision. In the case an Interview is involved in the Application process, will be specified on our website, on the course page, under the "How to apply" section.

I hope this will be able to help! If you do have any further questions about the University or student life, please do feel free to ask! We would be more than happy to help! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf

Thanks for your reply!!
the urban planning course doesnt specifically say there is an interview but says applicants must attend a pre-offer event day so that the faculty can meet you. Is this the same as interview?
Thanks for your reply!!
the urban planning course doesnt specifically say there is an interview but says applicants must attend a pre-offer event day so that the faculty can meet you. Is this the same as interview?

Hello :smile:

So as you correctly stated, there is no specific mention of there being an 'interview' for the Urban Design, Planning and Development Course. However due to them looking for 'evidence of commitment and motivation' in the personal statement, I think that the 'Pre-Offer Event Day' is another opportunity for the faculty of the course look for 'commitment and motivation' in applicants. I believe the day is a way to allow the faculty to get to know applicants better in person, once they have seen applicants on paper, through grades and personal statements.

I hope this will be of some help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Original post by lbeacham431
Hi!

I too have applied for the BA in Urban Design, Planning and Development and have my interview on Friday! I also applied to the BSc in Property Development and Planning at Brookes but I don't know which course to choose from! I am considering Property Development and Planning more over than the BA in Urban Design, but the BSc is not accredited by the RTPI which sucks :-(

Hello @lbeacham431,

Hope you are doing well!! We are excited to hear that you plan on joining us ae Oxford Brookes University. :smile:

I am a Law Student, so unfortunately I do not know much about the courses that you have mentioned. However if you were to use the 'Chat to a Student Ambassador' service which can be found at the following link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/ There is a Student Ambassador on there who currently studies 'Urban Design; Planning and Development BA', so you may find it beneficial to message them and gain an insight into the course.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about Student Life or the University, feel free to ask. Also Good luck with your interview! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Hi!

I too have applied for the BA in Urban Design, Planning and Development and have my interview on Friday! I also applied to the BSc in Property Development and Planning at Brookes but I don't know which course to choose from! I am considering Property Development and Planning more over than the BA in Urban Design, but the BSc is not accredited by the RTPI which sucks :-(

Hi, how long did you wait for their response and how long did they give you to prepare for the interview?
Hi!

I received an email regarding my interview last Wednesday I think from the built environment faculty at Brookes, and I confirmed my attendance of the interview via a registration form attached to the email which confirmed the time and date of my interview which is now this Friday!

I have had a week to prepare and I had to do some online readings and answer two questions with relevance to the BA in Urban Design, Planning and Development in preparation for the interview.

Being honest, I’m a little nervous, but also extremely excited to find out more about the course!

Hope it goes well for you! :smile:

- Laura

Original post by OliviaPxoxo
Hi, how long did you wait for their response and how long did they give you to prepare for the interview?
Hi!

I received an email regarding my interview last Wednesday I think from the built environment faculty at Brookes, and I confirmed my attendance of the interview via a registration form attached to the email which confirmed the time and date of my interview which is now this Friday!

I have had a week to prepare and I had to do some online readings and answer two questions with relevance to the BA in Urban Design, Planning and Development in preparation for the interview.

Being honest, I’m a little nervous, but also extremely excited to find out more about the course!

Hope it goes well for you! :smile:

- Laura

Thank you and good luck!!!
Hi!

(Disclaimer: I'm course leader for Real Estate at Birmingham City)

Without looking it up I would assume that the Brookes Property Development course is RICS accredited. I might upset my planning colleagues but I'd argue RICS accreditation is a rather more valuable thing than RTPI accreditation (at the least it's a much larger organisation, with more awareness amongst the general public, etc, but it's obviously a broader body than purely planning focussed).
Also to achieve full chartered status with the RICS you can do that simply with a bachelors, for whatever reason to achieve full RTPI chartered status you need a masters level qualification (although they do give some recognition to accredited bachelors). Some universities offer a 4 year undergrad MPlan or similar for RTPI purposes, other people will do their 3 year undergrad and then bolt a one year masters on the end.

Which course you want I think depends where you want to be ending up. A planning route would tend to lead to local authority planning department work. A RICS/chartered surveyor route is likely to be more profit focussed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending