The Student Room Group

Advise for Spanish A level

Hi!
I want to ask, is it possible to go from a C/B border to an A* in spanish A level (starting from this month January till year 13)?

Cambridge is one of my options for studying MFL there and i already achieved a 9 in Spanish (I became fluent in year 9 however i am tripping with a levels ngl)
yeah
Reply 2
Original post by tinygirl96
yeah

really?
Original post by Yas7297
really?

I am studying Spanish independently, I reckon it will be feasible, just use flashcards, actively test yourself, speaking, reading, listening. The more you test yourself, the more you’re likely to remember it.
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I am studying Spanish independently, I reckon it will be feasible, just use flashcards, actively test yourself, speaking, reading, listening. The more you test yourself, the more you’re likely to remember it.

oh alr
yeah use flashcards, notes etc.
Original post by Yas7297
Hi!
I want to ask, is it possible to go from a C/B border to an A* in spanish A level (starting from this month January till year 13)?

Cambridge is one of my options for studying MFL there and i already achieved a 9 in Spanish (I became fluent in year 9 however i am tripping with a levels ngl)

It is a really big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Most of my class got 7s,8s and 9s and really struggled in the first year. However, what I can say is that it improves in Year 13! Try and absorb as much vocabulary as you can in year 12 and try to learn and use the new grammatical structures as much as you can (subjunctive, direct object pronouns etc.) trust me your older self will thank you for it!
I think trying to immerse yourself in the culture as much as possible helps too (Spanish youtubers, podcasts, Netflix shows - even spanish music!) This way, when you are introduced to an exam paper or unknown text you are more likely to know the unknown vocab/phrases.
Some more tips:
For your essays create a bank of "Golden essay phrases" (eg. me atreveria a decir que, primero tenemos que preguntarnos...) they will automatically get you points. Memorising these, so you can slot them into any essay, will save you loads of time when thinking about planning a new question under timed conditions.
Finally, do as many practise papers as possible- even other exam boards. They usually reuse similar vocab and learning to understand how they assess you is really important.
Hope this helps!
Good luck :smile:
Also practice key skills. Again use flashcards and notes.
Original post by Yas7297
Hi!

Definitely focus on grammar. I recommend getting a grammar book and working on areas you find difficult. Particularly make sure you are really familiar with the subjunctive and when it's used. It's certainly not impossible, especially if you are already fluent, although when it comes to speaking and writing you wanna be a concise as possible.

As others have said, use flashcards to help with vocab. Use the topic specific vocab in your textbook as a guide.
Reply 9
Original post by saffron64
It is a really big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Most of my class got 7s,8s and 9s and really struggled in the first year. However, what I can say is that it improves in Year 13! Try and absorb as much vocabulary as you can in year 12 and try to learn and use the new grammatical structures as much as you can (subjunctive, direct object pronouns etc.) trust me your older self will thank you for it!
I think trying to immerse yourself in the culture as much as possible helps too (Spanish youtubers, podcasts, Netflix shows - even spanish music!) This way, when you are introduced to an exam paper or unknown text you are more likely to know the unknown vocab/phrases.
Some more tips:
For your essays create a bank of "Golden essay phrases" (eg. me atreveria a decir que, primero tenemos que preguntarnos...) they will automatically get you points. Memorising these, so you can slot them into any essay, will save you loads of time when thinking about planning a new question under timed conditions.
Finally, do as many practise papers as possible- even other exam boards. They usually reuse similar vocab and learning to understand how they assess you is really important.
Hope this helps!
Good luck :smile:

Tysm!! Yep i watched a lot of spanish movies and telenovelas, Im a hispanic descendant too, so communicating with my family will be a bonus! overall, I appreciate this, I will definitely create a bank of golden essay phrases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending