The Student Room Group

Want to transfer unis

Hi guys, I’m currently at university and I really do not like where I am. I’m in my first year and just started in September 2020. I study economics and would like to transfer to another Russell group uni and I do not like the area of my current uni.
How do I go about this.
I’ve emailed my personal tutor and am waiting back a response.

Does anyone have any experience about this?

Will they allow me to move for semester 2 or make me start from year 2?

Has anyone transferred unis before?

Please help.

I’m feeling very depressed at this uni and keep wishing I went to Exeter instead :frown:(

Scroll to see replies

Hi my older sisters friend moved from one uni to another but she had to retake the year I think she finished her first year then moved to a different uni with my sister and others she also disliked it and moved from one university to the other so you should be able to if they accept you
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I’m currently at university and I really do not like where I am. I’m in my first year and just started in September 2020. I study economics and would like to transfer to another Russell group uni and I do not like the area of my current uni.
How do I go about this.
I’ve emailed my personal tutor and am waiting back a response.

Does anyone have any experience about this?

Will they allow me to move for semester 2 or make me start from year 2?

Has anyone transferred unis before?

Please help.

I’m feeling very depressed at this uni and keep wishing I went to Exeter instead :frown:(

Hi, no two economics courses will be the same. Unlike A levels where the syllabus is pretty much the same, at uni the programme content is made up by the interests of the teachers.

It's not impossible but it would be hard. Identify the uni you want to swap to and check out their 1st-year syllabus to see if there is sufficient overlap of topics. If there is then you can approach the uni and ask them if they would take you.

Is it the uni or the course? No use swapping unis only to find you hate it there too.
Reply 3
Oh I see, I really hate the current uni I am at, it’s just horrible! I really hope another uni accepts me

Original post by mike23mike
Hi, no two economics courses will be the same. Unlike A levels where the syllabus is pretty much the same, at uni the programme content is made up by the interests of the teachers.

It's not impossible but it would be hard. Identify the uni you want to swap to and check out their 1st-year syllabus to see if there is sufficient overlap of topics. If there is then you can approach the uni and ask them if they would take you.

Is it the uni or the course? No use swapping unis only to find you hate it there too.

Ok I totally understand.

most economic courses are very different but usually the same concept, but does every uni base knowledge upon 1st year?
I just don’t want to have to start from year 1, I want to transfer straight to year 2.

I hate the current uni due to surroundings, the actual place, accommodation, the area and I’ve joined two sports teams and the girls are seriously rude. I don’t like the vibe at all here and I can’t imagine staying here for another 2 years, feeling super depressed man
Not sure what people are saying on here, but I transferred university and didn't have to resit my year, aslong as the course you have moved from has similar content and you get a good enough grade to transfer usually the cut off is 2:1.
I'm an admissions tutor and I deal with transfers all the time.

The first thing to do is e-mail Exeter and enquire if you could transfer. Don't drop out of your current course or anything. Include your A level grades. You will deal with either the admissions tutor for the course, or someone in the central admissions team.

Their decision will be based on your A level grades and if they have any spaces. Do your A levels meet the standard offer for the course? That's the main criterion I use. You might also have to explain why you want to transfer.

They might set you an offer e.g. if you achieve 60% or more in your current first year. They might let you transfer into the second year, or they might make you start from the first. It depends on the courses and how close they are. You might have to complete a special form listing your modules and grades so far. I've never heard of transfers into semester 2 - this is impossible AFAIK.

If you get an offer, then achieve the grades and you can transfer.

Nothing is guaranteed, and there is every chance they will just say no.
Original post by chazwomaq

The first thing to do is e-mail Exeter and enquire if you could transfer. Don't drop out of your current course or anything. Include your A level grades. You will deal with either the admissions tutor for the course, or someone in the central admissions team.

Their decision will be based on your A level grades and if they have any spaces. Do your A levels meet the standard offer for the course? That's the main criterion I use. You might also have to explain why you want to transfer.

They might set you an offer e.g. if you achieve 60% or more in your current first year. They might let you transfer into the second year, or they might make you start from the first. It depends on the courses and how close they are. You might have to complete a special form listing your modules and grades so far. I've never heard of transfers into semester 2 - this is impossible AFAIK.

Why do you keep saying a levels? Many people have varying qualifications now, I got into my Russell group after studying a foundation diploma due to missing sixth form for medical reasons. Universities have already been shamed and penalised for not having widening access.
Oh I see, I really hate the current uni I am at, it’s just horrible! I really hope another uni accepts me

Ok I totally understand.

most economic courses are very different but usually the same concept, but does every uni base knowledge upon 1st year?
I just don’t want to have to start from year 1, I want to transfer straight to year 2.

I hate the current uni due to surroundings, the actual place, accommodation, the area and I’ve joined two sports teams and the girls are seriously rude. I don’t like the vibe at all here and I can’t imagine staying here for another 2 years, feeling super depressed man

Hi if you list the unis you are considering swapping to then you can look at their 1st-year syllabus and see how similar/ dissimilar the course modules are. You are not giving much to work with. I don't know which uni you are in at the moment and which uni you want to swap to.

It's not unheard of to swap unis e.g. Duncan Watmore - a professional footballer - swapped unis from Manchester to Newcastle when he transferred clubs. He ended up getting a first in Economics!
To transfer (whether continuing in yr 2 if the new university judge the course similarity enough or to restart first year) you’ll need to submit a formal application through ucas.

Most universities will not compare modules to determine compatibility before someone has applied.

Have a read of the University Transfer FAQ thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by Lori130998
Why do you keep saying a levels? Many people have varying qualifications now, I got into my Russell group after studying a foundation diploma due to missing sixth form for medical reasons. Universities have already been shamed and penalised for not having widening access.

Because it's shorter than saying "A levels or equivalent".
Original post by PQ
To transfer (whether continuing in yr 2 if the new university judge the course similarity enough or to restart first year) you’ll need to submit a formal application through ucas.

Is this always true? I deal with lots of direct applications i.e. not through UCAS for transfers. Should they all be going through UCAS?
Is this always true? I deal with lots of direct applications i.e. not through UCAS for transfers. Should they all be going through UCAS?

That's part of a university's contract with UCAS yes. It's allowed to take direct applicants with APEL/RPEL during clearing (as during clearing it isn't possible to make conditional offers) but applicants admitted via that route need to be declared to UCAS through an RPA.
Business Rule #2 page 10 https://www.ucas.com/file/366691/download?token=5UycyRoa (Page 16 lists the applicants who are exempt from using UCAS or reporting to UCAS as an RPA) Internal transfers and internal intercalating students are exempt - everyone else should be going through UCAS at some point
Original post by PQ
That's part of a university's contract with UCAS yes. It's allowed to take direct applicants with APEL/RPEL during clearing (as during clearing it isn't possible to make conditional offers) but applicants admitted via that route need to be declared to UCAS through an RPA.
Business Rule #2 page 10 https://www.ucas.com/file/366691/download?token=5UycyRoa (Page 16 lists the applicants who are exempt from using UCAS or reporting to UCAS as an RPA) Internal transfers and internal intercalating students are exempt - everyone else should be going through UCAS at some point

Ah OK, thanks. I guess it's just the the UCAS part is downstream and I don't get involved with it.

I have emailed quite a few unis and just said i am at Southampton, got these a levels grades, studied these modules so far at uni and would like to move. Will give the reasons once they reply with an email.

Is that ok?
Original post by mike23mike
Hi if you list the unis you are considering swapping to then you can look at their 1st-year syllabus and see how similar/ dissimilar the course modules are. You are not giving much to work with. I don't know which uni you are in at the moment and which uni you want to swap to.

It's not unheard of to swap unis e.g. Duncan Watmore - a professional footballer - swapped unis from Manchester to Newcastle when he transferred clubs. He ended up getting a first in Economics!

I go southampton right now, so i assume transferring from one russell group to another is ok?

I just hope the unis will consider me for a transfer into year 2 at least
Original post by PQ

Most universities will not compare modules to determine compatibility before someone has applied.

Have a read of the University Transfer FAQ thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

would i have to apply by the 15th of jan? or is my situation different?

I know I will have to enter point of entry as 2, but can i apply to any uni or wait till each one replys??
Original post by Lori130998
Not sure what people are saying on here, but I transferred university and didn't have to resit my year, aslong as the course you have moved from has similar content and you get a good enough grade to transfer usually the cut off is 2:1.

If you dont mind me asking, how was the process, how did you start off, what uni did you transfer from and to which, and also what course
Reply 17
I go southampton right now, so i assume transferring from one russell group to another is ok?

I just hope the unis will consider me for a transfer into year 2 at least

Why don't you like Southampton?

ok I see, I have sent a general email stating i want to transfer, will then go into depth once they reply.

Just waiting to hear back, would i have to apply via ucas? what grades do I out down or will i just wait to contact the admin team?
Original post by Kerzen
Why don't you like Southampton?

The area is not for me, people are not nice, its very small, no night life, feel. like its quite racist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending