The Student Room Group

I've had the COVID vaccine - AMA!

Hi all! I had the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine a few days ago through work (NHS). I'm due my second dose in March. I know there are a lot of myths and false information out there so I thought this would be a good place for people to ask questions.

I'm no expert in vaccines, so won't be able to answer any medical questions on it! But I can let you know my experience of it :smile:

Please note: if you choose to ask a question anonymously (this should only be if you have a potentially personal/embarrassing question) I can see who is behind anon since I'm a volunteer section leader :smile:

Also please note: I have not been a front line worker until this month. The reason I had it was that there were suddenly a lot of appointments made available by the second dose being pushed back to 12 weeks instead of 21 days, and they needed to fill the slots with very short notice and on a weekend, so it was a case of which staff members they could get in first. They are prioritising the first dose being given. But now those slots have been filled (no vaccine wasted - yay!) they will continue to vaccinate with the phases :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Did it hurt?
Original post by Anonymous
Did it hurt?

Nah not really, no different than a flu jab. Very brief scratch feeling. My arm was a bit sore for a day or so (like with a flu jab), but pretty much back to normal :smile:
how did it go ?
Reply 4
did you experience any side effects?
Original post by KAy1a.2021
how did it go ?

All good - similar to a flu jab but the actual process of getting in and out of the vaccine centre was longer than when I had my flu jab at the GP. E.g. a health screen/questionnaire with a nurse and it being signed off by a doctor. Then waiting 15 minutes after to make sure I was fine after it :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
All good - similar to a flu jab but the actual process of getting in and out of the vaccine centre was longer than when I had my flu jab at the GP. E.g. a health screen/questionnaire with a nurse and it being signed off by a doctor. Then waiting 15 minutes after to make sure I was fine after it :smile:

okay
Original post by xsowmix
did you experience any side effects?

A slightly sore arm for about 24/48 hours, now I only feel a slightly sore part if I brush my hand over where I had the jab. I found the sore arm part less sore than when I had my flu jab, that seemed to be worse :tongue:
Reply 8
A slightly sore arm for about 24/48 hours, now I only feel a slightly sore part if I brush my hand over where I had the jab. I found the sore arm part less sore than when I had my flu jab, that seemed to be worse :tongue:

that is very common. glad you are doing okay.
Did it hurt?

I barely felt it. My arm was a bit sore the next day though.
Original post by xsowmix
that is very common. glad you are doing okay.

Yep, in the 'at least 1 in 10' (aka most people) side effects :smile: thank you!
does it go in slowly? i'm not amazing with needles :redface:
I once passed out when I had an injection about 5 years ago (it was my body’s reaction to the actual fluid from the injection rather than the thought of the injection if that makes sense).Since this I have had 3 more injections and haven’t passed out in any of them however the thought of passing out again is always in the back of my mind so I’m always petrified going to have one. Do you have any tips on how to stay calm when I do go to have the covid injection? :hugs:
Original post by parmezanne
does it go in slowly? i'm not amazing with needles :redface:

I didn't really notice the speed of it to be honest, felt the same as any other vaccine/injection that I've had. I normally look away, pinch my finger (so I focus on that feeling) and it's over within seconds :smile:
I once passed out when I had an injection about 5 years ago (it was my body’s reaction to the actual fluid from the injection rather than the thought of the injection if that makes sense).Since this I have had 3 more injections and haven’t passed out in any of them however the thought of passing out again is always in the back of my mind so I’m always petrified going to have one. Do you have any tips on how to stay calm when I do go to have the covid injection? :hugs:

There was a lady there who was really nervous and she let the staff know and they were lovely - they fast tracked her through so there was less of a wait and build up of anxiety and were really supportive to her. I think they're probably used to it! I get a little anxious sometimes, but try and focus on the benefit of having it (not just for myself but others too). For anything where there might be a small bit of pain e.g. an injection, the dentist, giving blood etc. I carefully pinch my finger with my nails to focus on that feeling/sensation and it's all done before I know it :smile:
Original post by Apple Fan Boy
if it don't have the apple logo on the vaccine then I aint interested

Do you not use/go in anywhere without an apple logo? Does a bus/car/plane have to have an apple logo on it? How about food, does an apple have to have an apple logo on it? :giggle:
Do you not use/go in anywhere without an apple logo? Does a bus/car/plane have to have an apple logo on it? How about food, does an apple have to have an apple logo on it? :giggle:

if it aint got no apple logo then I then I send my suggestion to apple HQ so that they can consider it, sometimes I just put the official apple sticker myself tho, I got loads of stickers from all the products Ive bought and yeah I did send my request to Apple HQ to sponsor the vaccine or make their own version but not had no response yet but maybe because of pandemic they been busy
There was a lady there who was really nervous and she let the staff know and they were lovely - they fast tracked her through so there was less of a wait and build up of anxiety and were really supportive to her. I think they're probably used to it! I get a little anxious sometimes, but try and focus on the benefit of having it (not just for myself but others too). For anything where there might be a small bit of pain e.g. an injection, the dentist, giving blood etc. I carefully pinch my finger with my nails to focus on that feeling/sensation and it's all done before I know it :smile:

Thank you so much! I will definitely take the vaccine when I’m offered it because I understand the benefit I just find it slightly terrifying so thank you once again :smile:
I didn't really notice the speed of it to be honest, felt the same as any other vaccine/injection that I've had. I normally look away, pinch my finger (so I focus on that feeling) and it's over within seconds :smile:

Proof that you did the vaccine? Otherwise sounds like propaganda to me.
Hi all! I had the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine a few days ago through work (NHS). I'm due my second dose in March. I know there are a lot of myths and false information out there so I thought this would be a good place for people to ask questions.

I'm no expert in vaccines, so won't be able to answer any medical questions on it! But I can let you know my experience of it :smile:

Please note: if you choose to ask a question anonymously (this should only be if you have a potentially personal/embarrassing question) I can see who is behind anon since I'm a volunteer section leader :smile:

Any symptoms or feelings aside from the soreness?

Latest