The Student Room Group

BurstingBubbles's 2021 Wellbeing Blog

I'm so excited for this, because it's exactly what I need right now!

To get started I'm going to use the questions from the Welcome thread :yep:

What your goals are - you have the whole year so feel free to go big!

1. Reduce my screen time/use of social media on my phone - although sometimes having a scroll on social media can be quite relaxing, I think I do it for too long and that time could be used more productively for my wellbeing!

2. Increase my meditation - I got into a really good habit of this at the start of 2020 but then I just got out of the habit. I'd love to do 5-10 minutes a day of proper mediation. If I can do longer then great but I do find it hard to not get distracted :mmm:

3. Take up some more therapeutic hobbies e.g. arts/crafts and reading. I'm hoping this will mean less time on my phone, and will be its own form of mediation!

Why you want to work on your wellbeing

In 2020 I focused on my physical health and lost weight, but I think I started to neglect my mental health. Now I've got my physical health mainly back in shape, I want to do the same to help my mental health. And both physical and mental health are really linked :yep:

Your thoughts/feelings about the year ahead:

Honestly, I'm quite anxious about the year ahead. Obviously things aren't great with COVID still (although at least the vaccine roll out is a positive!). So I'm really hoping that looking after my own wellbeing and happiness will help - I think this blog will really help :biggrin:

Any nominations for others you think might like to make a blog

I'm tagging @shadowdweller @DrawTheLine and @becausethenight to nominate them to make a wellbeing blog :biggrin:

I'm going to try to update this weekly :crossedf:

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo! Excited to see how you get on :woo: I can highly recommend calligraphy or lettering as a good calming hobby!
can't wait to read yours!
Original post by DrawTheLine
Woohoo! Excited to see how you get on :woo: I can highly recommend calligraphy or lettering as a good calming hobby!

Thank you! Ooh yes. I'm concerned that my patience for it wouldn't be good (e.g. if I made a mistake and it 'ruined' the whole thing!), but perhaps that's why I should take it up as a hobby :mmm:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Thank you! Ooh yes. I'm concerned that my patience for it wouldn't be good (e.g. if I made a mistake and it 'ruined' the whole thing!), but perhaps that's why I should take it up as a hobby :mmm:

Been there :rofl: I've thrown away so many pieces because I've made a mistake on the finishing touches :colonhash: so frustrating, but then it feels so nice when you produce something lovely :h:
Been there :rofl: I've thrown away so many pieces because I've made a mistake on the finishing touches :colonhash: so frustrating, but then it feels so nice when you produce something lovely :h:

Glad it won't just be me then :mmm: Do I need to get some fancy pens? :giggle:
Glad it won't just be me then :mmm: Do I need to get some fancy pens? :giggle:

Oh yes, the pens are the best part :awesome: I recommend these or these
Persephone and I are posting to subscribe! :penguinhug:
Very excited to see how you get on :smile:
I'd reccommend knitting or crochet as a relaxing arty hobby - plus you can get lovely glittery and colourful wool so even simple things are awesome :yep:
I'm going to make an arts and crafts/hobbies project sharing thread (shameless promotion) and it'd be lovely to see anything you make there!
Oh yes, the pens are the best part :awesome: I recommend these or these

Thank you, I'll take a look :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Persephone and I are posting to subscribe! :penguinhug:

Yay thanks :biggrin:
Original post by becausethenight
Very excited to see how you get on :smile:
I'd reccommend knitting or crochet as a relaxing arty hobby - plus you can get lovely glittery and colourful wool so even simple things are awesome :yep:
I'm going to make an arts and crafts/hobbies project sharing thread (shameless promotion) and it'd be lovely to see anything you make there!

Fab thank you!! :smile:
Been feeling particularly down the last few days. I'm hoping to have a relatively relaxed weekend, hopefully that will help. Need to actually leave the house for a walk and some fresh air. Barely doing that atm :redface:
Hope you were able to relax. :five: re: needing to leave the house :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hope you were able to relax. :five: re: needing to leave the house :colondollar:

I made sure to get out of the house for a walk on Saturday and on Sunday which was nice :smile:
So far I've been gradually reducing screen time. It's tricky because I do find it quite relaxing most of the time so I'm not keen to cut it down loads or too suddenly. But for example my activity time has gone down on Instagram each day :smile:

I've not done any formal meditation yet but I have been doing more mindful activities such as turning off the TV and just looking out into the garden for a little bit and trying to have the TV off when eating. We've had music on a bit more instead of the TV at times too.

I've not started any drawing or reading yet but I did take my SLR camera out when walking yesterday and enjoyed taking some photos. I find photography very calming. Managed to get a picture of our local Kingfisher :smile:
Well done! All sounding very promising. Keep up the good work! :rave:
Update (nearly 2 weeks in) :

1. Screen time:

I've been working probably the most on this, as my screen time was getting embarrassingly high, especially on a weekend! I've managed to nearly half my screen time this last week compared to the week before (according to my phone's report and looking at my activity on Instagram etc.). I'm really proud of that :biggrin:

2. Meditation:

Lacking in this area, something to work on! I have done a couple of meditation sessions which have been really nice - but I definitely want to get into the routine of doing even 5 minutes of meditation a day if I can.

3. Hobbies:

Again, lacking in this too. I have done some more cooking and walking. I mean technically we did build snowmen yesterday which is a type of craft... right? :ninja: but I did find it really therapeutic! We are also having more film nights and actually paying attention to the TV rather than just having repeats of shows on whilst on our phone/laptop - so I guess that's more mindful :tongue:

My aims for this week are:

Continue to keep my screen time down - at least match if not reduce compared to last week!

Up my meditation to 3 times a week instead of 2. Slowly work up to remembering to do it most days

Whip out some of my mindful colouring books to have a therapeutic colour

:danceboy:
what did you cook? :gah:
Original post by laurawatt
:danceboy:
what did you cook? :gah:

A Sunday roast yesterday, nothing special, but I enjoyed it :smile: Want to get back into cooking more from scratch though :biggrin:
A Sunday roast yesterday, nothing special, but I enjoyed it :smile: Want to get back into cooking more from scratch though :biggrin:

Sounds delish though :biggrin:
Sunday roast! :coma:

Sounds good to slowly build up to/upon more meditation :yes:

Ngl, loving the mental image of you bounding up to @shadowdweller , singing DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?!?!?!? (even though I've no idea what either of you look like :tongue: ) :ahee:

Keep up the good work :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending