The Student Room Group

MSc in Developmental Psychology and Psychopathology (King's College London)

Hi I'm an international student with a bachelor's degree (3 years) with an average of 69% and I am hoping to study at King's and I applied roughly 2 weeks ago. I just want to know how difficult it is to get accepted into this course and how competitive the admissions process is.
I have done 2 internships relevant to the course and currently working in a clinical psych ward as a graduate student. Just want to know if I have a chance of getting into the course.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sgol007
Hi I'm an international student with a bachelor's degree (3 years) with an average of 69% and I am hoping to study at King's and I applied roughly 2 weeks ago. I just want to know how difficult it is to get accepted into this course and how competitive the admissions process is.
I have done 2 internships relevant to the course and currently working in a clinical psych ward as a graduate student. Just want to know if I have a chance of getting into the course.

Hello! I have received an offer to study this course. My GPA average is 9.8, and their requirement for the course is 7.5 (Indian requirements). I had relevant work experience, a strong statement of purpose, and I received an offer.
Reply 2
Original post by riddhi.l
Hello! I have received an offer to study this course. My GPA average is 9.8, and their requirement for the course is 7.5 (Indian requirements). I had relevant work experience, a strong statement of purpose, and I received an offer.

Congratulations! How long did it take for you to hear back from them?
thank you!
Original post by sgol007
Congratulations! How long did it take for you to hear back from them?
thank you!

3.5 weeks
Reply 4
Im thinking of applying to this course as well, it mentions it includes a placement but doesnt really specify what its about. Anyone has any idea if the placement is a supervised clinical/ assistant psychology roles? Im hoping to pursue a career in clinical/ educational psychology and was wondering if this would be an appropriate programme
Original post by wesgwl
Im thinking of applying to this course as well, it mentions it includes a placement but doesnt really specify what its about. Anyone has any idea if the placement is a supervised clinical/ assistant psychology roles? Im hoping to pursue a career in clinical/ educational psychology and was wondering if this would be an appropriate programme

Yes it’ll be a supervised clinical placement
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of applying too!
Currently doing my BSc in Psychology and finishing up this year. I have a high 2:1 prediction and quite a bit of experience in both research and clinical placements. I want to apply to DPP when my first semester marks come out for this year which is at the beginning of March but would love to hear anyone else's experience in the meantime! nice to meet you all
Reply 7
Hey folks, Ive a couple questions for those who've applied/ in the process of applying:

1) When you enter the details of your referee, does Kings automatically email them or will the email requesting for a reference be sent out after payment is completed? Im editing my application but have yet to enter my referee's details as I am waiting for him to reply my email first, dont wanna end up with Kings sending him a reference request without a heads up from myself first.
2) Just to check, the course only requires one academic reference?
3) For those who did undergrad in UK, what were the conditional offer conditions?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by wesgwl
Hey folks, Ive a couple questions for those who've applied/ in the process of applying:

1) When you enter the details of your referee, does Kings automatically email them or will the email requesting for a reference be sent out after payment is completed? Im editing my application but have yet to enter my referee's details as I am waiting for him to reply my email first, dont wanna end up with Kings sending him a reference request without a heads up from myself first.
2) Just to check, the course only requires one academic reference?
3) For those who did undergrad in UK, what were the conditional offer conditions?

Thanks in advance!

1) It sends the referee the request once you've submitted your application, no need to worry!
2) Yes only one
3) I haven't applied yet but usually, they just give you a class boundary i.e. conditional offer based on receiving a 2:1, 1st, etc. based on your prediction
Reply 9
Original post by madeofcolour
1) It sends the referee the request once you've submitted your application, no need to worry!
2) Yes only one
3) I haven't applied yet but usually, they just give you a class boundary i.e. conditional offer based on receiving a 2:1, 1st, etc. based on your prediction

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by sgol007

You definitely seem like you would get in, given your 2 internships, did you get an offer yet? I got my offer like 2 months ago- best of luck
Reply 11
Probably a bit early to ask but out of curiosity where do you guys plan to book your accommodation? Near the IOPPN or in central London? Denmark Hill feels a bit isolated and with Covid probably lingering on through next year I'm wondering if it would be better to just stay in central London if the course will be mainly online. Probably easier to get groceries and essentials living in central London though commuting to IOPPN would be quite a hassle. As for my background I'm an international student, currently final year psych keen to go into clinical psych in the future. I really like the programme though I'm on the fence on staying around Denmark Hill area, kinda worried about the high crime rates too. :s-smilie:
Hi everyone,
My reference was just uploaded so my applications is finally complete! How long did you guys wait to hear back from KCL for a decision?
Original post by wesgwl
Probably a bit early to ask but out of curiosity where do you guys plan to book your accommodation? Near the IOPPN or in central London? Denmark Hill feels a bit isolated and with Covid probably lingering on through next year I'm wondering if it would be better to just stay in central London if the course will be mainly online. Probably easier to get groceries and essentials living in central London though commuting to IOPPN would be quite a hassle. As for my background I'm an international student, currently final year psych keen to go into clinical psych in the future. I really like the programme though I'm on the fence on staying around Denmark Hill area, kinda worried about the high crime rates too. :s-smilie:

Got an offer as well. And have these same decisions. Denmark Hill and around that have cheaper accommodation so I'm leaning more to that. 😊
Hey guys I need some advice.

I got an offer from KCL and I also got an offer from Bath for Applied Clinical Psychology. I hope to be a clinical psychologist some day but I feel the KCL programme is heavily based on neurodevelopmental disorders, genetics and research, whilst the bath programme teaches you the skills needed to be a clinical psychologist and focuses on the psychiatric disorders and treatment options for them. Bath does not have a placement option like KCL, though, which is super unfortunate. I'm not super interested in genetics or neurodevelopmental disorders (and dreaded these topics during my undergrad), but I really want to do a clinical placement. I also would love to go a uni that is just as strong as the uni I currently am in now or even better, which is KCL, and I feel like Bath is a downgrade. I know ranking shouldn't be the only thing on my mind or the deciding factor, but I'm sure some of you can relate.

If you were in my position, which programme would you choose? given that my final goal is to be a clinical psychologist and work with people who have psychological disorders (can be of different ages), rather than only kids with ASD and ADHD. I'm torn between the two programs because KCL is highly ranked and has a placement, but I feel like I may enjoy the bath programme more (but I would have to seek a placement on my own). Does that make sense?

I'm an international student, and where I'm from I need to undergo training to be a clinical psychologist and only need an MSc in any type of psychology to practice (PhD not needed).

Any advice or insights would be helpful.

Thanks!!!
Reply 15
Original post by hsushi2020

I got an offer from KCL and I also got an offer from Bath for Applied Clinical Psychology. I hope to be a clinical psychologist some day but I feel the KCL programme is heavily based on neurodevelopmental disorders, genetics and research, whilst the bath programme teaches you the skills needed to be a clinical psychologist and focuses on the psychiatric disorders and treatment options for them. Bath does not have a placement option like KCL, though, which is super unfortunate. I'm not super interested in genetics or neurodevelopmental disorders (and dreaded these topics during my undergrad), but I really want to do a clinical placement. I also would love to go a uni that is just as strong as the uni I currently am in now or even better, which is KCL, and I feel like Bath is a downgrade. I know ranking shouldn't be the only thing on my mind or the deciding factor, but I'm sure some of you can relate.

If you were in my position, which programme would you choose? given that my final goal is to be a clinical psychologist and work with people who have psychological disorders (can be of different ages), rather than only kids with ASD and ADHD. I'm torn between the two programs because KCL is highly ranked and has a placement, but I feel like I may enjoy the bath programme more (but I would have to seek a placement on my own). Does that make sense?

I'm an international student, and where I'm from I need to undergo training to be a clinical psychologist and only need an MSc in any type of psychology to practice (PhD not needed).

Thanks!!!

Hey! Just thought I'd add my two cents as an international student considering clinical psych in the future. Both Bath and KCL offer good programmes but I believe they are theoretical. Even with the placement option at King's, it is too short and does not meet the criteria for becoming a chartered psychologist, so either way you'll need to do a doctorate after. You'll have to check with your local psych society on what the placement has to encompass as I doubt the King's placement goes into much depth. Where I'm from I don't need a PhD either but I need a masters with a set amount of supervised practice hours which no one-year MSc programme in the UK satisfies. Hope this helps!

Thanks!!!

Hey @hsushi2020 !

I'm a current Masters student on the Applied Clinical Psychology course at Bath so I thought I'd share my opinions to hopefully help with your decision!

In terms of ranking, Bath is ranked at 4th or above for psychology in a number of reputable university ranking websites, such as the Complete University Guide and the Guardian. Here's a link to the Guardian rankings: https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2019/jun/07/university-guide-2020-league-table-for-psychology. It's definitely really important to look at rankings for the specific subject as Bath is known for being a fantastic university for psychology in particular.

Though Bath is ranked very highly, I personally think when choosing a Masters degree it's so so important to prioritise what you're interested in. You'll be studying this for a year and Masters courses tend to be quite focussed so definitely make sure you like the modules on offer and you think you'll enjoy studying them.

While Bath doesn't have a placement option during the Masters, everyone I know on the course works part-time in clinical settings, so there is plenty of options to still get experience. For instance, I work part-time as an Assistant Psychologist in an autism diagnostic service, so the lack of placement definitely doesn't mean you can't get direct clinical experience!

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the course itself or student life at Bath more generally :smile:

Meg
Msc Applied Clinical Psychology

Thanks!!!

Hi there,
I'm also an international student who got an offer from both KCL and Bath with the exactly same course as you and my goal is to be a clinical psychologist as well. I found it really difficult to make a decision with the same reasons you mentioned (although I prefer work with children, that's maybe the one of the reasons why I was a little bit leaning to KCL). I haven't made any decision yet. It's been a while since you posted this, I'm just wondering which programmer are you going to choose and would like to know the reason why.

Thanks!
Hi all,

I applied in March.. and haven't heard anything.. anyone else in the same boat? I wasn't sure how long they take off for Easter or when to expect a reply but it is 1 month this week since I sent the app.
Reply 19
Original post by mimsvj33
Hi all,

I applied in March.. and haven't heard anything.. anyone else in the same boat? I wasn't sure how long they take off for Easter or when to expect a reply but it is 1 month this week since I sent the app.

I applied for a different program under IOPPN. Although I submitted my application end of feb, they got back with requirements for additional documents by March end. They've now told me to wait 8 weeks and maybe by then I get a decision :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending