The Student Room Group

Applied for a provisional license It timed out while paying but the money is gone

Applied for a provisional license but it timed out while paying the money has gone through but I’ve received no confirmation what do I do now?
Reply 1
Original post by Liam515
Applied for a provisional license but it timed out while paying the money has gone through but I’ve received no confirmation what do I do now?

Have you contacted your bank?
Reply 2
Original post by ___ally
Have you contacted your bank?

Does this seem right? No I haven’t contacted them yet
Reply 3
Original post by Liam515
Does this seem right? No I haven’t contacted them yet

Yeah that's happened to me before with other websites! Just try again - if the money has been taken from your account then it will be returned.
Reply 4
Original post by ___ally
Yeah that's happened to me before with other websites! Just try again - if the money has been taken from your account then it will be returned.

Oh it will be returned? Do you know how long it took? Just got slightly panicked lol because obviously £34 is £34
Yeah that's a pending payment, it's how online transactions are carried out. Basically your bank reserves the funds from your account for the vendor to take when they continue processing the transaction on their end. However if the transaction fails or isn't carried out (usually because of a site crash or something) then the funds still sometimes get reserved by your bank but they are never taken by the vendor; in that case the funds are released back into your account automatically within 3-5 (working) days.

This was more or less my spiel from when I used to work in a call centre and about 50% of our calls were driven by queries about what a pending payment was...

If the funds aren't back in your account by this time next week contact your bank to ask them about it. They should then be able to tell you if the funds were taken by the vendor (the DVLA I guess in this case) and if so you can contact them as your next step.
Reply 6
Thank you! I’ll give the DVLA a call in the morning
Reply 7
Original post by Liam515
Thank you! I’ll give the DVLA a call in the morning

Why? You've been given the information you need already.

Please don't waste their time; they're very busy at the moment and this isn't an urgent query.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Why? You've been given the information you need already.

Please don't waste their time; they're very busy at the moment and this isn't an urgent query.

Excuse me? It’s a valid inquiry it’s my money I’ve been told to contact them anyway via their live chat thanks for your answers and have a good day.
Reply 9
Original post by Liam515
Excuse me? It’s a valid inquiry it’s my money I’ve been told to contact them anyway via their live chat thanks for your answers and have a good day.

Have some common sense and don't waste their time.

You've been given the correct information. Contacting them will not change the situation.

The hold on your money will be released shortly. This isn't anything to do with DVLA, more an issue with the payment processor.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Have some common sense and don't waste their time.

You've been given the correct information. Contacting them will not change the situation.

The hold on your money will be released shortly. This isn't anything to do with DVLA, more an issue with the payment processor.

Sorry but it’s not a waste of time and I will be calling them tomorrow. Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by Liam515

But we've just explained to you that it's not up to the DVLA and it's an issue with the bank - the DVLA can't do anything. They'll just echo what we've already said.
Reply 12
Original post by Liam515

How incredibly disrespectful to the staff at DVLA...

Let me make this perfectly clear...

THEY. CAN. NOT. CHANGE. ANYTHING.
THEY. CAN. NOT. SPEED. IT. UP.
IT'S. NOT. THEIR. FAULT.

Get your act together, listen to what both the live chat advisor and the members on this thread have told you, WAIT THE 3-5 WORKING DAYS.
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
How incredibly disrespectful to the staff at DVLA...

Let me make this perfectly clear...

THEY. CAN. NOT. CHANGE. ANYTHING.
THEY. CAN. NOT. SPEED. IT. UP.
IT'S. NOT. THEIR. FAULT.

Get your act together, listen to what both the live chat advisor and the members on this thread have told you, WAIT THE 3-5 WORKING DAYS.

Don’t tell me what to do mate it’s my money not yours bye
Original post by Liam515

As someone whose sorry job it was to take calls like these all the time for a company, I can assure you that calling will lead to nothing more than having the same information repeated at you. They don't have your money. Your bank does. In 3-5 days it gets released back into your account. They can't do anything to expedite the process, because it has nothing to do with them. This was literally my job for the better part of a year, telling people this information, I assure you that it is correct and there is nothing they can do to help you at this point.
Reply 15
Original post by Liam515

Not sure why you bothered to post a thread if you were just going to be this dense and ignore any responses.

@RoyalSheepy I think that's the end of this thread.
I worked in card payments for over a decade. The above posts are correct, this is exactly how auth codes and reserved funds work. If the actual transaction hasn’t been completed, there is nothing the DVLA can do and your available credit will go back to normal in a few days.
Yea ditto, there is nothing the DVLA could do here, you'd literally be sitting in an automated queue for god knows how long for nothing.

Your bank can clear the reserve on your balance instantly, but you'd need a very compelling reason.

Quick Reply