The Student Room Group

Manchester, Exeter & possibly Nottingham

I currently have 2 conditional offers to study law at Manchester and Exeter but I'm struggling on which one to firm. I love Manchester because of the city aspect and its faarrrr from home but a bit apprehensive due to how the university has handled covid with their students, I love Exeter but I worry it won't be diverse enough and everyone at my school will be attending and id like to have a fresh start but its an amazing uni. Does anyone have any advice or even know which one ranks higher?

on top of this I was rejected from Nottingham but given an offer for criminology but this then means I would have to do the GDL and that to me is just ughhhh

I would love any advice or comments xx

Scroll to see replies

@Muttley79 - what would you advise?
Original post by tgr2003
I currently have 2 conditional offers to study law at Manchester and Exeter but I'm struggling on which one to firm. I love Manchester because of the city aspect and its faarrrr from home but a bit apprehensive due to how the university has handled covid with their students, I love Exeter but I worry it won't be diverse enough and everyone at my school will be attending and id like to have a fresh start but its an amazing uni. Does anyone have any advice or even know which one ranks higher?

on top of this I was rejected from Nottingham but given an offer for criminology but this then means I would have to do the GDL and that to me is just ughhhh

What are the offers? What are the differences between the courses?
Original post by tgr2003

The cheek of Nottingham lmao
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79

Manchester is offering AAA and Exeter is offering AAA or AAB if I firm it and get A in EPQ (im on track for an A*)
Reply 6

there is no difference in the course its LLB Law for both
Original post by tgr2003
there is no difference in the course its LLB Law for both

Yes but what about assessments - is one more exam based than the other?
a lot of the good parts of manchester uni are currently ruined bc of covid and there's no way of knowing when it will be back to normal so personally i wouldn't let city life/parties etc. be a deciding factor. maybe have a look at the course details for each university and decide based off of which has better sounding units or more optional units?
The difference between these two Unis is insignificant - it really is down to which Uni/city feels the most comfortable to you, and if there are any extras available at either Uni - study abroad, units in other subjects, a Law Clinic, a Moot Court, Placements etc etc, that could enhance your degree.
Exeter has the nicer campus (leafy, green and spacious), although Manchester has a bit more overall prestige (older, larger, very high international ranking).
Reply 11
Yes but what about assessments - is one more exam based than the other?

theres not a whole lot on the Manchester website but it seems like they are both the same, Exeter does have a lot more optional modules which are nice
Reply 12
Original post by Peter76530
The cheek of Nottingham lmao

right! really not sure how to feel about that one
Original post by tgr2003
theres not a whole lot on the Manchester website but it seems like they are both the same, Exeter does have a lot more optional modules which are nice

I am a big fan of Exeter ... lots of my students have gone there - optional module choices is a plus I think.

It's a choice between big city or not ... don't be concerned about diversity
Reply 14
Original post by tgr2003

Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply? When did you take your LNAT and when did you hear back from Nottingham?
Reply 15
Original post by Charlieefinch
Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply? When did you take your LNAT and when did you hear back from Nottingham?

I sent my application off on the 17th of November, sat my LNAT on the 27th of November and I head back from Nottingham at 10am today
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by tgr2003
I sent my application off on the 17th of November, starting my LNAT on the 27th of November and I head back from Nottingham at 10am today

Oh ok, I’m still waiting on Nottingham, I sent my application in October and then took LNAT 16th December.
I got an email from them saying they’re still actively considering my application but will take longer to get a response as they want to consider everyone before making a decision.
Did you get this email as well?
Reply 17
Oh ok, I’m still waiting on Nottingham, I sent my application in October and then took LNAT 16th December.
I got an email from them saying they’re still actively considering my application but will take longer to get a response as they want to consider everyone before making a decision.
Did you get this email as well?

Yea I did, I also got placed on hold by Bristol as well, so we shall see. They'll probably be in contact soon as the deadlines approaching
Reply 18
Original post by tgr2003
Yea I did, I also got placed on hold by Bristol as well, so we shall see. They'll probably be in contact soon as the deadlines approaching

Aaah in really nervous now. How did you think your LNAT went?
Reply 19
Aaah in really nervous now. How did you think your LNAT went?

Terrible!, I feel like the multiple choice went a bit too well which is suspicious but the essay was a lot better but now because I was rejected from Nottingham I feel like I really haven't done that well. How do you think yours went- do you know when the results come out?

Quick Reply