The Student Room Group
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website

Film production course no idea where to apply lol

Hey everyone, I know it's kinda of late for this. I've been stressing about what uni's to apply for a film production course. I've been procrastinating due to their being so many option i have no idea who to go for advice. AUB has always been my number one choice though.

anyone else studying film prod have any uni's they'd like to share? plz thank you
Reply 1
Hey :smile: I do film production at the Screen and Film School in Brighton and it was also one of my top choices alongside AUB. What ultimately made me decide between the two was the weighting between practical/theory and how they seemed to care about their students as individuals and their career after uni. My course is very practical based meaning we are working on sets and shoots a lot (COVID has changed that a little but we still are working practically for some modules) and they seem to know every student by name and know about them and care about them. I found at my interview at AUB it personally found that was quite regimented (from my personal experience) however at SFS, there was a more comfortable atmosphere about the place :smile: Ultimately, it depends on if you want a more theory based or practical course. I’ve had friends graduate the AUB Film Production course and enjoy it, they graduated in documentary film making.

After getting into the both, I chose SFS and am now in my second year :smile: Along with SFS, you could also look into places like Westminster and Southampton Solent? I’ve heard those to be other good places x
(edited 3 years ago)
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website
Original post by gabriel133
Hey everyone, I know it's kinda of late for this. I've been stressing about what uni's to apply for a film production course. I've been procrastinating due to their being so many option i have no idea who to go for advice. AUB has always been my number one choice though.

anyone else studying film prod have any uni's they'd like to share? plz thank you

If you like AUB then other CILECT schools would be a good option: https://www.cilect.org/profiles/members/235/4

Westminster, Hertfordshire and LCC (at UAL) if you would like to live in/near London
South Wales, Edinburgh/Ed Napier and Leeds Beckett if you'd like to live in a big city
UCA Farnborough and Falmouth if you'd like to live in a small town
Original post by gabriel133

i have applied to LCC @ UAL, Westminster, Middlesex, Kingston and London South Bank all for film production/film making type courses :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lucyr-p
Hey :smile: I do film production at the Screen and Film School in Brighton and it was also one of my top choices alongside AUB. What ultimately made me decide between the two was the weighting between practical/theory and how they seemed to care about their students as individuals and their career after uni. My course is very practical based meaning we are working on sets and shoots a lot (COVID has changed that a little but we still are working practically for some modules) and they seem to know every student by name and know about them and care about them. I found at my interview at AUB it personally found that was quite regimented (from my personal experience) however at SFS, there was a more comfortable atmosphere about the place :smile: Ultimately, it depends on if you want a more theory based or practical course. I’ve had friends graduate the AUB Film Production course and enjoy it, they graduated in documentary film making.

After getting into the both, I chose SFS and am now in my second year :smile: Along with SFS, you could also look into places like Westminster and Southampton Solent? I’ve heard those to be other good places x

Hey, I have Westminster down on my list now. Done some research into it and seems very good. I'm not a big fan of London but thas something I have to put behind me considering what I want to study lol.
I’m at AUB and I wouldn’t go tbh
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’m at AUB and I wouldn’t go tbh

Why???
Original post by Jojomoo
Why???

Going to copy and paste this from another thread as my feelings about the course haven’t changed from a few months ago.

I would first advise you to read this post as it sums up why film production courses are basically a complete waste of time.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5210328

I’ve spent most of last year being depressed and crying my eyes out in my bedroom. It has without a doubt been one of the worst years of my life. COVID obviously didn’t help in this aspect but that wasn’t the only reason why the course and AUB weren’t great.

AUB specifically is awful because:-

- Accommodation is way to overpriced
- No study abroad opportunities
- No work experience opportunities or year/term in industry
- Employment statistics after the course are false (I don’t believe that 90% of people are employed after their Film Production degrees)
- Campus is too small. You literally cannot fit anyone in the cafeteria and there isn’t enough space for everyone in the library. This is not a joke.
- What happens on film production courses is that lots of people dominate and they make good films and the people who are shy/introverted etc get left out and they make ****y films that no one cares about.
- Students aren’t academically engaged
- Because you don’t have ultimate control of your films (unless you direct and write) it is entirely possible to spend three years at film school and not work on any films you are happy with
- SU is absolutely dire and there’s basically no clubs/societies
- No social life in Bournemouth as it’s full of boomers
- Nothing to do on campus aside from go to university
- When you get to the point where you start to crew up your films it’s essentially first come first served so all the people who are good make good films and the people who are awful make bad films and it is not fair (at least in first year)

Here’s something else to mention. A lot of the lecturers don’t have degrees specifically in film or have only gotten degrees to allow them to teach the course. If you can teach a Film Production degree course at one of the best universities in the country without a degree in Film Production then you definitely don’t need a degree in Film Production to have a career in the film industry.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending