The Student Room Group

University of Pennsylvania Online Msc in Computer Science

What are people's thoughts on this? Trying to decide between University of Texas, Georgia Tech, and now this.
If those 3 fail, I'll go for Bath/York/Keele/Sunderland
I forgot to mention a pretty key bit of information. The Penn one costs $26,000, the others are around $10,000 :/

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/mcit-penn
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
i'm not sure how much you care about the university name but from an outsider's point of view upenn has the best reputation, as you probably know, so personally i would go with upenn, if you like the course of course.
Reply 2
Original post by lga361
i'm not sure how much you care about the university name but from an outsider's point of view upenn has the best reputation, as you probably know, so personally i would go with upenn, if you like the course of course.

I forgot to mention a pretty key bit of information. The Penn one costs $26,000, the Texas one is $9,999 :/
Reply 3
Georgia Tech is a top 10 university in the US for CS and AI, has the most established online course, is the cheapest, and has way more optional modules to choose from. If you have a CS background, my recommendation would be Georgia Tech over Texas and other options (such as Stanford's ridiculously expensive course). If you don't, my recommendation would be Bath (or UPenn if you can afford the extra £5,000 and if there are reviews available from current students - good universities don't necessarily run good online courses!).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Remitto
I forgot to mention a pretty key bit of information. The Penn one costs $26,000, the Texas one is $9,999 :/

hmm okay that is a big difference. how much is georgia tech?
Reply 5
Original post by void*
Georgia Tech is a top 10 university in the US for CS and AI, has the most established online course, is the cheapest, and has way more optional modules to choose from. If you have a CS background, my recommendation would be Georgia Tech over Texas and other options (such as Stanford's ridiculously expensive course). If you don't, my recommendation would be Bath (or UPenn if you can afford the extra £5,000 and if there are reviews available from current students - good universities don't necessarily run good online courses!).

Thanks for the info. Yeah, Georgia Tech and Texas are my first choices. The issue with Bath is that I'm in China, where Bath is completely unknown. So I'm wondering if paying double for Bath over Keele is worth it, given that outside the UK Bath is nothing. UPenn on the other hand is known all of the world, so maybe if I'm gonna pay a pricey one, that would be the better choice over Bath. :/
Reply 6
Original post by Remitto
Thanks for the info. Yeah, Georgia Tech and Texas are my first choices. The issue with Bath is that I'm in China, where Bath is completely unknown. So I'm wondering if paying double for Bath over Keele is worth it, given that outside the UK Bath is nothing. UPenn on the other hand is known all of the world, so maybe if I'm gonna pay a pricey one, that would be the better choice over Bath. :/

Oh, isn't it? Bath is top 10 in the UK for CS and in overall ranking and has ~1,000 Chinese students. It is underrated internationally (probably just because it isn't Russell Group) but is still in the QS top 200 so good enough for any VISAs or job specs I've seen that request particular universities. I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't heard of UPenn just like there are plenty of people who haven't heard of UK universities other than Oxbridge! UPenn has similar domestic rankings to Bath and is only #19 in the country for CS (I believe the US has some of the best CS courses in the world though). Anyway, I think that curriculum is more important and Georgia Tech, Texas, UPenn and Bath all look like good choices to me. If you're interested in pursuing a PhD afterwards then I would argue that Bath is the best choice as it seems to be the only one that includes a research project/dissertation. I know the Georgia Tech course states that it isn't intended for progression onto a PhD so this is one thing to keep in mind if it applies to you.
Reply 7
Original post by void*
Oh, isn't it? Bath is top 10 in the UK for CS and in overall ranking and has ~1,000 Chinese students. It is underrated internationally (probably just because it isn't Russell Group) but is still in the QS top 200 so good enough for any VISAs or job specs I've seen that request particular universities. I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't heard of UPenn just like there are plenty of people who haven't heard of UK universities other than Oxbridge! UPenn has similar domestic rankings to Bath and is only #19 in the country for CS (I believe the US has some of the best CS courses in the world though). Anyway, I think that curriculum is more important and Georgia Tech, Texas, UPenn and Bath all look like good choices to me. If you're interested in pursuing a PhD afterwards then I would argue that Bath is the best choice as it seems to be the only one that includes a research project/dissertation. I know the Georgia Tech course states that it isn't intended for progression onto a PhD so this is one thing to keep in mind if it applies to you.

Hello Void, I saw many comments from your side regarding online CS master program from University of Bath. I do really appreciate it. I am quite interested in online AI master program from University of Bath. I would like to ask you that if you are a candidate of Msc in AI or CS? If yes, could you please let me know how do you feel about it. Is there any limitation about studying online? What about the interaction with faculties and peers? What kind of material or contents can be provided? For example, videos, e-books and slides, etc. I am a little bit worried about it because there is no live class. Thank you for your feedback in advance. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by void*

Yeah, Chinese employers seem a bit uninterested in universities outside of the top 3/4. They still respect your degree, but Bath vs Keele doesn't seem like it'd be that important to most of them. I did my undergrad at Durham, which was #1 at the time for my subject, some knew Durham, but many did not.
Anyway, thanks for the excellent information. I agree that curriculum is the most important, and I'm gonna push hard for Georgia Tech/Texas and then I guess I'll choose between Bath / Upenn if it comes to that. Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Joey Lee
Hello Void, I saw many comments from your side regarding online CS master program from University of Bath. I do really appreciate it. I am quite interested in online AI master program from University of Bath. I would like to ask you that if you are a candidate of Msc in AI or CS? If yes, could you please let me know how do you feel about it. Is there any limitation about studying online? What about the interaction with faculties and peers? What kind of material or contents can be provided? For example, videos, e-books and slides, etc. I am a little bit worried about it because there is no live class. Thank you for your feedback in advance. :smile:

I am studying the MSc CS and recently started the 5th module. I'm still enjoying the course and learning plenty. Most interaction is via forums. There is plenty of interaction between peers and we have Slack workspaces for our own cohort and for all cohorts as well as the academic forums on Engage. Whilst it depends on the lecturer, overall the tutors have been responsive at answering our questions on the Engage forum. Most modules have been delivered via succinct notes on Engage and a reading list that can be accessed on the library website, sometimes with additional tutorial-style videos. One module was delivered mostly through short videos instead. There are no lecturers or live classes at the moment, which suits me personally as I find lectures boring and wouldn't want to have to commit to attending live classes (although there has been talk about adding some live tutorials). I guess you need to be self-motivated and capable of conducting your own research, etc. in the online format, but these are important skills to develop anyway and shouldn't be a problem for most postgrads.

The lecturer who runs the MSc AI is responsible for some of the best modules on the MSc CS so I am sure it also good. I might have chosen it had it existed when I applied, but I am happy enough to pursue CS and to keep my options open (there are two AI modules on the MSc CS and I can still choose a topic in this area for my research project). If you're interested in AI specifically then the online MSc AI at Leeds is worth considering too and it sounds like they plan to run some online classes: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/d995/artificial-intelligence-msc
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by void*
I am studying the MSc CS and recently started the 5th module. I'm still enjoying the course and learning plenty. Most interaction is via forums. There is plenty of interaction between peers and we have Slack workspaces for our own cohort and for all cohorts as well as the academic forums on Engage. Whilst it depends on the lecturer, overall the tutors have been responsive at answering our questions on the Engage forum. Most modules have been delivered via succinct notes on Engage and a reading list that can be accessed on the library website, sometimes with additional tutorial-style videos. One module was delivered mostly through short videos instead. There are no lecturers or live classes at the moment, which suits me personally as I find lectures boring and wouldn't want to have to commit to attending live classes (although there has been talk about adding some live tutorials). I guess you need to be self-motivated and capable of conducting your own research, etc. in the online format, but these are important skills to develop anyway and shouldn't be a problem for most postgrads.

The lecturer who runs the MSc AI is responsible for some of the best modules on the MSc CS so I am sure it also good. I might have chosen it had it existed when I applied, but I am happy enough to pursue CS and to keep my options open (there are two AI modules on the MSc CS and I can still choose a topic in this area for my research project). If you're interested in AI specifically then the online MSc AI at Leeds is worth considering too and it sounds like they plan to run some online classes: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/d995/artificial-intelligence-msc

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I have submitted my application of online AI course at Bath and I am waiting for the reply by end of this month. I think Bath's curriculum is more structured than Leeds and it has two paths which can be selected. Hope I can have the good response from bath.
Original post by Joey Lee
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I have submitted my application of online AI course at Bath and I am waiting for the reply by end of this month. I think Bath's curriculum is more structured than Leeds and it has two paths which can be selected. Hope I can have the good response from bath.

So did you choose bath university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending