The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Ask a UAL Student Ambassador

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I would like to ask, what are the primary differences between the studio and premium studio apartment rooms in UAL halls (particularly the Glassyard building)?

There aren't a lot of details but in some pictures, the premium studio rooms appear to have their own mini kitchen (whereas in the regular studio rooms people share a communal kitchen)?

How much in the way of utilities/utensils do halls kitchens come with- do they come with a toaster & kettle (or do you have to bring your own)?

Thank you!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Hi Tegan!I am going to be studying Fashion History and Theory at CSM this year too! Is there any way I can contact other people on our course? I haven't been able to find anyone else that's on it.Thank you!!
Original post by Feastful
Hi!

I would like to ask, what are the primary differences between the studio and premium studio apartment rooms in UAL halls (particularly the Glassyard building)?

There aren't a lot of details but in some pictures, the premium studio rooms appear to have their own mini kitchen (whereas in the regular studio rooms people share a communal kitchen)?

How much in the way of utilities/utensils do halls kitchens come with- do they come with a toaster & kettle (or do you have to bring your own)?

Thank you!

Hey @Feastful,

The biggest difference between the standard rooms and the premium rooms at Glassyard is the size, the standard rooms are approximately 12 metres squared whereas the premium rooms are approximately 15 metres squared. Both have 3/4 size beds (small doubles), an ensuite (your own bathroom) and a shared kitchen and living area which will be shared with between 3-9 other students.

Kitchens come with the basic utilities such as a kettle and a toaster but you are expected to bring your own utensils and crockery.

I lived in Sketch House for my foundation year (one of the other and quite similar UAL halls) so let me know if you have any questions about halls life. Sketch also offered some studio rooms, where you have your own kitchen, so if that was something you were looking for it may be worth having a look into that or what other halls provide that as an option.

I hope that has cleared that up for you.

Kindest,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
Original post by gbon08
Hi Tegan!I am going to be studying Fashion History and Theory at CSM this year too! Is there any way I can contact other people on our course? I haven't been able to find anyone else that's on it.Thank you!!

Hey @gbon08,

Congratulations on your place!! I hope you're excited to join Fashion History and Theory.

There is no official way to find other students going onto the same course as you. I didn't actually know anyone doing the course before my first day! However sometimes people find their fellow students on forums like this and then create group chats on social media so they can get to know each other.

@ritahayworth commented a few months ago saying she had been offered a place, so she may be one of your fellow classmates!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the course or CSM in general.

All the best,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by gbon08

feel free to message me your instagram, we have a groupchat already so i'm happy to add you!! x
Hi! My friend is interested in studying a foundation year in art and design at UAL and was wondering what to put into her personal statement to make her stand out in an interview and application? She doesn't have an account on here but I'll tell her any information, thank you!
Original post by laurensaweirdo
Hi! My friend is interested in studying a foundation year in art and design at UAL and was wondering what to put into her personal statement to make her stand out in an interview and application? She doesn't have an account on here but I'll tell her any information, thank you!

Hi @laurensaweirdo,

Thanks for getting in touch on behalf of your friend. Her portfolio is a more significant part of her application process than her personal statement.This is often the case when applying to a practical creative course like the UAL foundation.

It is important that through her personal statement she demonstrates her commitment to, and enthusiasm for, art and design. This can be through talking about personal projects, relevant work experience, favorite artists/practitioners and/or books she has read.

The tutors are looking for portfolios which demonstrate:

Visualization skills (e.g. drawing, photography, 3D works)
Research and investigative skills
Creative thinking and problem solving abilities
The use of a range of materials and processes
An interest in art, design or related subjects.

It is also recommended to include notes, research, photographs or sketches, including work you've made outside of your school course work.

I did my art foundation at Central Saint Martins so if your friend has any specific questions regarding this please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Hi, I applied and was recently accepted into the Diagnostic Foundation program at CSM! (I am from the U.S.) I'm super excited and was wondering if there are any CSM foundation alumni that I could speak to about the course? I would rather pm my questions if possible.
Hey :smile:

I applied to UAL for Architecture and was asked for my portfolio. If you are successful in getting an interview, when are you notified of an interview offer? I heard it was February, but I am not certain?

Hi,
This is a question mainly for Tegan ,, but if any of the other reps want to add to it that is also fine.

As I’m planning to study at CSM , is it unusual / uncommon to have a part time job while there ??(( cause I’m literally gonna get the skinniest loan all getting spent on my accom and my parents are low key selfish and want to teach me life lessons and that🙄)). I feel like everyone’s super rich at CSM and like no one ever has a job on the side ??

I might be wrong ,, idk :/
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for MA User Experience design but I am quite confused with the portfolio submission section. We were asked to submit 10 images, so can we compile a few images of the same case together? Or are there any examples how such images or portfolio look like? Are those images screenshots of your portfolio or do they only represent our projects?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
This is a question mainly for Tegan ,, but if any of the other reps want to add to it that is also fine.

As I’m planning to study at CSM , is it unusual / uncommon to have a part time job while there ??(( cause I’m literally gonna get the skinniest loan all getting spent on my accom and my parents are low key selfish and want to teach me life lessons and that🙄)). I feel like everyone’s super rich at CSM and like no one ever has a job on the side ??

I might be wrong ,, idk :/

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for reaching out. Good question, it really depends on the person but it is possible to have a part time job and study. I personally work for the Student Union and part time at a pub and know many friends at CSM who do the some sort of work on the side as well. Tutors are always understanding but obviously expect your studies to be your priority. There are also some good sites provided by uni for looking for jobs: Art Temps and Creative Opportunities.

I hope that helps and please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions about CSM.

Thanks,

UAL Student Rep
Hello,
I was wondering wether most people get private accommodation first year or if most people are in halls?
Hello,
I was wondering wether most people get private accommodation first year or if most people are in halls?

Hello,

If you are interested in living in private halls of residences instead of university halls, you may find it helpful to check out our website. We have suggestions for properties from all over the country, meaning you can find all the information you need in one place. There are many different options including shared or ensuite bathrooms and shared kitchen or contained studio flat. Many private halls of residences also have additional facilities included in the price including cinema rooms, study spaces and gyms. You can find our website here: https://www.accommodationforstudents.com

Hope you find this useful!
Hello,

Hi @Anonymous # 2,

Many foundation and first year students choose to opt for halls rather than going straight into private accommodation. When I was doing foundation I lived in Sketch House so if you have specific questions please do not hesitate to ask.

When you apply you select your top 5 halls, the accommodation services will try to place you in one of your top 5 halls, but they cannot guarantee this will be possible. So if you would like to be in UAL halls of residence make sure you send in your application early to avoid disappointment.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Reply 35
Hi there,
I was wondering for first year students studying at Wimbledon do they usually go for halls of residence- I know that Furzedown village and Cedar halls are fairly close to the college but the others are quite far away.
Is most of Furzedown village and Cedar halls Wimbledon students and are there many Wimbledon students who commute from other accommodation sights?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 36
When applying for foundation and putting in your qualifications, what does it mean when it asks for a transcript? Ive added a scan of my certificate for my GCSEs but for A-Levels do i add a transcript showing my predicted grades? Would a report from school do?
Original post by Holly F
Hi there,
I was wondering for first year students studying at Wimbledon do they usually go for halls of residence- I know that Furzedown village and Cedar halls are fairly close to the college but the others are quite far away.
Is most of Furzedown village and Cedar halls Wimbledon students and are there many Wimbledon students who commute from other accommodation sights?
Thank you :smile:

Hi @Holly F,

Most first year & foundation students tend to go for UAL halls as it is a great way to meet other students however there are also private/independent halls all over London. Furzedown and Cedar are popular choices for Wimbledon students due to their location.

A few years ago I stayed at Sketch House and there were a few students from Wimbledon and Chelsea, two UAL colleges not nearby. It's still great to have the experience of UAL halls but it just means your commute is further and perhaps more expensive.

Hopefully you'll get your first choices and then you can experience halls life and be close to your uni.

If you have any questions about living in halls please do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Reply 38
Hi!
Which halls would you reccomend for someone studying at CSM?
Hi,
I'm currently looking at student halls, I've applied for LCF and CSM, although I haven't gotten an offer from either I just wanted to look around and since my other applications are in London too, just see how prices are there.

I was wondering what is typically the most affordable accommodation with UAL? And any general advice? From the loan calculator I can potentially get around 10.5K for a maintenance loan.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending