The Student Room Group

I'm so worthless, I can't even stack shelves

I feel so terrible. No, it's not COVID. I keep cocking things up at work. I'm not even aware of it most of the time. Most of the time I am alone by myself, with my thoughts, really not good ones either....I feel like I'm gonna get fired too......Its silly, simple things I can't seem to get. What does it say about me if I can't even do the simplest of jobs? There are our brave doctors/surgeons etc working 12hr shifts battling PTSD/depression to save lives, mostly in vain, and I'm complaining about this......I feel so worthless at this point. I'm gonna end up resigning before I have the embarassment of being fired.

Scroll to see replies

see a therapist
you are not worthless
Reply 2
Original post by tinygirl96
see a therapist
you are not worthless

i am seeing a therapist and i am worthless.
Original post by fenton484
i am seeing a therapist and i am worthless.

Oh boy.
what do you mess up? With the floor plan that stockers and merchandise teams use? And organising the stock?

Or are you just clumsy dropping stuff?
Reply 5
Original post by Bang Outta Order
what do you mess up? With the floor plan that stockers and merchandise teams use? And organising the stock?

Or are you just clumsy dropping stuff?

I've dropped stuff like today but that's not the problem, apparently im not facing up stuff right and am leaving the store out of pocket with money
If it's not right, get someone to show you. You have every right to ask for more training. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It could be the person pulling you up has an issue and is projecting onto you so they feel better about themselves.
I've dropped stuff like today but that's not the problem, apparently im not facing up stuff right and am leaving the store out of pocket with money

Costing them money cos you're not stacking right? I don't think so lol or are you messing up at the tills????
Reply 8
Maybe you just don't work well with your job. it's hard to stay motivated in simple jobs too.

I think you deffo just need to realise that you can't improve without making mistakes.

I used to work as a property team assistant and we had a storage room with a bunch of maintenance parts. And every time I was told to get a 9 watt light or something easy to find; without fail I brought the wrong part up and pissed off my boss.

But after months of doing it I eventually learned from it. You might not have months on your hands but you shouldn't take it seriously.
Reply 9
Costing them money cos you're not stacking right? I don't think so lol or are you messing up at the tills????

At the tills I meant - when exchanging parking tickets for a while I forgot to take a quid off the bill and instead effectively gave them a free pound.
At the tills I meant - when exchanging parking tickets for a while I forgot to take a quid off the bill and instead effectively gave them a free pound.

Oh. Then you need maths lessons mate and maybe even something to help with your nerves.

unless you've been doing that job for a long time, then surely it's expected that you'll make occasional mistakes like that?
Reply 12
Original post by MalcolmX
unless you've been doing that job for a long time, then surely it's expected that you'll make occasional mistakes like that?

True, idk.

I keep making these same mistakes. I got pulled in to talk about it. i feel so stupid for this
Not being able to do certain things is not a reason you're worthless. Unless you define your own success with stacking shelves, it doesn't matter and just a random skill that happens to be what you're doing at work. There are tons of things I can't do, hands on things in particular, but I don't care one bit. If anything I feel happy I can't do those things because they're things I don't like doing. Of course, if you hate how you can't stack shelves and think it's all you're worth, you can always keep trying and learning to be the next shelf master.

Therapy isn't for everyone, although if you just started it you could give it another go before you decide you don't like it.
Original post by *****deadness
Not being able to do certain things is not a reason you're worthless. Unless you define your own success with stacking shelves, it doesn't matter and just a random skill that happens to be what you're doing at work. There are tons of things I can't do, hands on things in particular, but I don't care one bit. If anything I feel happy I can't do those things because they're things I don't like doing. Of course, if you hate how you can't stack shelves and think it's all you're worth, you can always keep trying and learning to be the next shelf master.

Therapy isn't for everyone, although if you just started it you could give it another go before you decide you don't like it.

I was rubbish back in the day on the tills and was removed to stacking only.I was also rubbish when I worked in a bank as I kept reversing the numbers on cheques and was demoted to filing and post girl.But I was an absolutely amazing teacher!You just have not found your thing yet and lack confidence.Plus the managers should definitely improve your training.You are not worthless so please try and love yourself a bit more.
Oh. Then you need maths lessons mate and maybe even something to help with your nerves.

i've seen some of ur replies on other posts and u come across quite rude, you could be more polite :smile:
Reply 16
it's ok i don't know anything about stacking shelves either
Original post by Scotney
I was rubbish back in the day on the tills and was removed to stacking only.I was also rubbish when I worked in a bank as I kept reversing the numbers on cheques and was demoted to filing and post girl.But I was an absolutely amazing teacher!You just have not found your thing yet and lack confidence.Plus the managers should definitely improve your training.You are not worthless so please try and love yourself a bit more.

You seem to have problems with numbers and stuff, getting numbers the wrong way round sounds like dyscalculia to me, have u got yourself tested?
Original post by Ciel.
it's ok i don't know anything about stacking shelves either

Lmfao mate
Reply 19
Original post by stephsmhb
You seem to have problems with numbers and stuff, getting numbers the wrong way round sounds like dyscalculia to me, have u got yourself tested?

I was diagnosed with it when I was younger but I got a 5 in GCSE Maths so i dont think it was a correct diagnosis. i have dyspraxia

Quick Reply

Latest