The Student Room Group

Are guys who exercise daily and watch what they eat a turn off to you?

Do you mind if a guy is exercising every day and watches what he eats?

I ask this because I've heard a few girls say they don't like that type of guy but in my experience, girls love them at least aesthetically. I don't know if they are unhappy in a relationship with them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be clear, my question was whether you would want to be in a relationship with such a guy, not whether you'd have sex with someone like that.
This is a very specific question....how many marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
This is a very specific question....how many marks?

Yeah it is specific because I did not want to say guys with a certain body type or guys who lift weights as it may be misleading. I am talking about guys who follow a specific lifestyle - daily exercise + healthy diet (meaning: they won't eat whatever or drink alcohol regularly).
Reply 4
Not an issue!
Original post by Anonymous
To be clear, my question was whether you would want to be in a relationship with such a guy, not whether you'd have sex with someone like that.

Personally it would put me off just as it seems a demanding lifestyle. I wouldn't mind them going to the gym a lot, but I can imagine that someone living that kind if lifestyle is quite careful with eating and drinking- that'd be quite a big put off for me.
That being said I'm sure there are loads of girls out there who like that kind of guy and I suppose we all have different interests
Not unless they become obsessive, then it might get difficult in a rs.
Reply 7
Yes. I want someone with a similar lifestyle to mine, and that does not include strictly healthy food or trips to the gym every day.
I wouldn't give a damn if someone found being healthy a turn off, that's an absurd mindset. Yes people can become obsessive about these things but inherently it should be a non issue.
Reply 9
Personally it would put me off just as it seems a demanding lifestyle. I wouldn't mind them going to the gym a lot, but I can imagine that someone living that kind if lifestyle is quite careful with eating and drinking- that'd be quite a big put off for me.
That being said I'm sure there are loads of girls out there who like that kind of guy and I suppose we all have different interests

It can be in the sense that you need at least a few hours a day to prep food and exercise. You can't eat or drink wherever and whatever. It's not extremely demanding but it's not as comfortable being with someone like that as it would be if you were with someone who could eat whatever they want and not spend 1-2 hrs a day for exercise (including travel times, showers, etc) and maybe like an hour to prep food (depending on how they do it).
It depends how obsessive they are.
You'd be surprised as was I. A lot of people don't realise what it takes, they think you go to the gym 1 hour a day and that's it. Nope. You need to sleep 8 hours, prep food, and gym isn't just the time you spend lifting or whatever else you do, it includes commuting, cleaning up, etc.
Original post by YaliaV123
It depends how obsessive they are.

Most guys who're into fitness will exercise on average an hour a day, prepare food for at least 8-9 out of 10 meals they eat (so if they eat like 21 times a week let's say, it leaves one or two meals free, otherwise, they'd be quite specific in what they eat and usually that means no takeaways/restaurants/etc or snacks outside those 1-2 times a week.
Original post by saji13
Not unless they become obsessive, then it might get difficult in a rs.

I explained above what I mean because I am not sure what you guys mean by obsessive?
It depends on how restrictive the diet was, if the guy was teetotal, vocal or had developed a healthy lifestyle obsession.
I'm careful about my diet, homecook almost all my meals and am still the same weight I was as a 13 year old.
But I eat beef, drink alcohol, have takeaways a couple of times a month, enjoy chocolate and spicy foods.

I wouldn't be attracted to a fitness fanatic, bodybuilder or guy who honestly viewed refined sugar & sunflower oil as the food equivalents of crack cocaine.
Nor someone whose daily diet revolved around: protein shakes, raw veg, goats milk, carrot juice, sushi, quinoa, rice and plenty of extra supplement pills.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on how restrictive the diet was, if the guy was teetotal, vocal or had developed a healthy lifestyle obsession.
I wouldn't be attracted to a fitness fanatic, bodybuilder or guy who honestly viewed refined sugar & sunflower oil as the food equivalents of crack cocaine.
Nor someone whose daily diet revolved around: protein shakes, raw veg, goats milk, carrot juice, sushi, quinoa, rice and plenty of extra supplement pills.

Not talking about fad diets but you need a certain amount of protein per day and a calorie limit depending on what you're trying to achieve (cut or gain muscle). That would put a limit to what you can eat at least 80-90% of the time. You can eat once or twice a week whatever. I know some people are annoyed by this or find it quite inconvenient.

I am not entirely sure what's wrong with taking supplements tbh.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm careful about my diet, homecook almost all my meals and am still the same weight I was as a 13 year old.
But I eat beef, drink alcohol, have takeaways a couple of times a month, enjoy chocolate and spicy foods.

I'm talking about guys who eat takeaways/drink alcohol like twice a week so your diet sounds more restrictive tbh. Plus let's say an hour of exercise a day.
Do you mind if a guy is exercising every day and watches what he eats?

I ask this because I've heard a few girls say they don't like that type of guy but in my experience, girls love them at least aesthetically. I don't know if they are unhappy in a relationship with them.

Honestly I respect the guy more. In one of my own experiences, I was rlly drunk w a guy and when offered food we were given Oreos which he turned down and then asked for an apple. In this sort of situation I can say it’s funny and admirable. However, if you start to become egotistical and focus on your body only, THEN it becomes a turn off.
Hope that helps x
Original post by Alishalol
Honestly I respect the guy more. In one of my own experiences, I was rlly drunk w a guy and when offered food we were given Oreos which he turned down and then asked for an apple. In this sort of situation I can say it’s funny and admirable. However, if you start to become egotistical and focus on your body only, THEN it becomes a turn off.
Hope that helps x

I understand that some guys who're into fitness are jerks. But I didn't mention anything about them being egotistical or preachy. Everyone just assumes that whenever you mention you diet and exercise?
I am not entirely sure what's wrong with taking supplements tbh.

I'm not attracted to guys who take daily medications, nutritional supplements, tanning shots, illegal drugs, steroids/growth hormones (legally prescribed or not).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending