The Student Room Group

English language a level , PLEASE HELP!

Evaluate the idea that British speakers are subject to prejudice because of the dialect they use.
Reply 1
i’m sorry i can’t be of much help but can you talk about accentism? For example the London accent is more “highly regarded” specifically by say Americans. If you were to ask an american to do a british accent they would initially do a london accent and say “bloody”. Whereas somewhere such as yorkshire or birmingham is seen as “not as smart” perhaps or not perceived to be as “posh” you could say. I suppose this links more to the region you are in. Sorry if this is no help!
Reply 2
No no thats very helpful, i just cant understand what it means by prejudice?
Reply 3
Original post by tiff?
No no thats very helpful, i just cant understand what it means by prejudice?

tbh i was quite unsure as to what the question is exactly asking- perhaps ask your teacher? What exam board are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by milbar24
tbh i was quite unsure as to what the question is exactly asking- perhaps ask your teacher? What exam board are you doing?

if im honest i have no clue, im in my first year of sixth form and it been very confusing. To be honest i think she made the question up herself, as we havent even fully discussed the subject of accents and dialects.
Original post by tiff?
Evaluate the idea that British speakers are subject to prejudice because of the dialect they use.

It means that just by the way that they speak, they will be judged. It’s like judging a book by its cover
Reply 6
Original post by tiff?
if im honest i have no clue, im in my first year of sixth form and it been very confusing. To be honest i think she made the question up herself, as we havent even fully discussed the subject of accents and dialects.

oh that’s annoying, I too am in my first Year, if you were up for it it would be nice to compare what we have done? As accents and dialects we have kind of covered (well the basics) and we have just started Power and Gender!
Reply 7
Original post by milbar24
oh that’s annoying, I too am in my first Year, if you were up for it it would be nice to compare what we have done? As accents and dialects we have kind of covered (well the basics) and we have just started Power and Gender!

Yes, I would love that!

Quick Reply

Latest