The Student Room Group

Is Manchester School of Architecture good?

I have applied to the BA Architecture course for 2019 entry, and I want to know more about the university life and the course in MSA.

Are the tutors good?
How's the campus life?
Can I enjoy a studio-base study environment? Because I like spending my time in a studio so that I can concentrate with my work.
What can I expect about the studies in MSA? Creative, practical or theoretical?

I'll say a thousand thank you if you would like to answer these questions because I am struggling between the Architecture course in MSA and the one in University of Hong Kong, so I want to know more about the course in MSA before I make the final decision. Furthermore, if you have any comments about the HKU course, I would also like to hear it!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Hey, i recently got an offer from Manchester and i’m curious to see what experiences are like because i have heard mixed reviews. Did you end up going?
Hello! Yes, I ended up going to MSA. I can tell you that it's a nice experience. In the non covid time, they arranged small groups and studio groups so it's easy to meet new people fave to face. It's a very practical one in terms of studio (design subject) so if u look for very abstract and organic forms of structure, then it's not for you. The school environment is nice unless u want ur own studio working space cause for most of the time u have to work at home or else where. Overall, I highly recommend you. Tutors are helpful and of course, you learn a lot (well, it's Architecture so don't expect an easy life lol). Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kingsley Mak
Hello! Yes, I ended up going to MSA. I can tell you that it's a nice experience. In the non covid time, they arranged small groups and studio groups so it's easy to meet new people fave to face. It's a very practical one in terms of studio (design subject) so if u look for very abstract and organic forms of structure, then it's not for you. The school environment is nice unless u want ur own studio working space cause for most of the time u have to work at home or else where. Overall, I highly recommend you. Tutors are helpful and of course, you learn a lot (well, it's Architecture so don't expect an easy life lol). Good luck!

Awww i’m really glad you’re enjoying it. Could i ask if it’s more art based or technical/engineering based because universities differ with that.
Original post by 123abih
Awww i’m really glad you’re enjoying it. Could i ask if it’s more art based or technical/engineering based because universities differ with that.

it's more art based, and as u learn they assume u to apply more technical stuffs
Hello, I just got an offer from MSA and I am just wondering how much time do you spend at MMU and UoM? Is the time spent there split equally? How does it work?

Thank you!
Original post by carlawong
Hello, I just got an offer from MSA and I am just wondering how much time do you spend at MMU and UoM? Is the time spent there split equally? How does it work?

Thank you!

they basically have 3 modules. Studio is a big one and it's based in MMU. The other two are Technologies and Humanities, and they are based in UoM. So for studio/design stuffs u'll work in MMU facilities while for lectures you'll go to UoM's lecture halls. For library, you can just go to both for research and they are really helpful. Personally I like MMU facilities more buz they are newer lol😂. But after all you won't feel like you'll base in either one but both at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending