The Student Room Group

A-Level Languages

Hi,
So I'm planning on studying French and German next year for A-Level (alongside history). I am aware of how hard they are and I was wondering could someone tell me how they found languages A-Level. Particularly if you studies two languages at A-Level I would be interested to find out about that.

Original post by average_human
Hi,
So I'm planning on studying French and German next year for A-Level (alongside history). I am aware of how hard they are and I was wondering could someone tell me how they found languages A-Level. Particularly if you studies two languages at A-Level I would be interested to find out about that.

I did gcse French and Spanish (95% in both and my teacher wasn’t even fluent in Spanish lol)
I’m doing a level Spanish rn (yr 13)
honestly Spanish has been the easiest of my four a levels bc u kinda just pick it up naturally anyway so u don’t really need to put in any extra effort (I’m predicted an A*)
also if ur doing double languages it’s even less effort bc it’s like doing the same lessons twice isn’t it (my recollections of gcse but maybe that’s bc French and Spanish are similar)?
Reply 2
Hi,

I studied French and Spanish alongside English Lit at A Level and had no problems.

I had studied French for longer so was more confident in it. Spent more of my free time working on my Spanish. Languages can be hard but once you know your grammar, the best thing to do is work on vocab. I spent lot a of time reading/listening to music/watching series in the languages to fully immerse myself. I also used to listen to the radio in the languages too in the background to get used to hearing it.

Knowing what the exam format is can also help you plan towards how you should revise etc. Hope that helps.

Bon courage!
Original post by JoHall0
I studied French and Spanish alongside English Lit at A Level and had no problems.

I had studied French for longer so was more confident in it. Spent more of my free time working on my Spanish. Languages can be hard but once you know your grammar, the best thing to do is work on vocab. I spent lot a of time reading/listening to music/watching series in the languages to fully immerse myself. I also used to listen to the radio in the languages too in the background to get used to hearing it.

Knowing what the exam format is can also help you plan towards how you should revise etc. Hope that helps.

Bon courage!

Thank you, this was really helpful and calmed my nerves a bit! Like you, I've been studying French for a year more than German, so I feel like that is stronger. How much work would you suggest doing over the summer?
Original post by Lol101xoxo
I did gcse French and Spanish (95% in both and my teacher wasn’t even fluent in Spanish lol)
I’m doing a level Spanish rn (yr 13)
honestly Spanish has been the easiest of my four a levels bc u kinda just pick it up naturally anyway so u don’t really need to put in any extra effort (I’m predicted an A*)
also if ur doing double languages it’s even less effort bc it’s like doing the same lessons twice isn’t it (my recollections of gcse but maybe that’s bc French and Spanish are similar)?

Thanks for this :smile: How did you find the jump from GCSE to A-Level- I know a lot of people say it's massive. Also, how did you find the speaking element of A-Level? I'm nervous about having to start speaking it all the time as we barley speak in french/german at GCSE
Reply 5
Thank you, this was really helpful and calmed my nerves a bit! Like you, I've been studying French for a year more than German, so I feel like that is stronger. How much work would you suggest doing over the summer?

Glad I could help calm your nerves a bit!

I would look at the 4 main skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking) and work out your strengths/weaknesses and work on those. Also you can never learn enough vocab so work on that. Plus see if there are any grammar structures you get wrong all the time and work on those.

I had to write essays for my A Levels and for French I can recommend a book called mot à mot which has useful phrases.

But try not to stress, I really the best way to improve is to watch shows and look up words or listen to music etc in the target language.
Original post by JoHall0
Glad I could help calm your nerves a bit!

I would look at the 4 main skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking) and work out your strengths/weaknesses and work on those. Also you can never learn enough vocab so work on that. Plus see if there are any grammar structures you get wrong all the time and work on those.

I had to write essays for my A Levels and for French I can recommend a book called mot à mot which has useful phrases.

But try not to stress, I really the best way to improve is to watch shows and look up words or listen to music etc in the target language.

OK, thank you ! Also, how did you find the speaking element of A-Level? I'm nervous about having to start speaking it all the time as we barley speak in french/german at GCSE :smile:
For me, it depends on the language, whether I find reading or listening easier. What would you say are your main tips for doing well at A-Level.
also congrats on being predicted an A* :smile:
No worries! I think vocab is important, I'll probably do a lot of that over the summer :smile:
Hi, I study German and I ****ing hate it, just my 2 cents 😛
See if you can find textbooks online etc, try Amazon or a specific bookshop.
Original post by Jessica03
Hi, I study German and I ****ing hate it, just my 2 cents 😛

Hi, sorry to hear that. What is it that you don't like? In your opinion, did you enjoy it more at GCSE or something :smile:
Hi, sorry to hear that. What is it that you don't like? In your opinion, did you enjoy it more at GCSE or something :smile:

Yes I loved it at GCSE. For me it’s so difficult, I got an A at GCSE so DIDNT think it would be so hard. There is SO.MUCH.VOCAB.
Reply 13
OK, thank you ! Also, how did you find the speaking element of A-Level? I'm nervous about having to start speaking it all the time as we barley speak in french/german at GCSE :smile:

Hmm speaking was the trickiest for me in French. I just prepped a lot before all the exams by doing all the things I mentioned. We also had a French conversation teacher at my school so that helped a bit. The more you listen to the language, the better you'll be able to pronounce everything :smile:
Original post by JoHall0
Hmm speaking was the trickiest for me in French. I just prepped a lot before all the exams by doing all the things I mentioned. We also had a French conversation teacher at my school so that helped a bit. The more you listen to the language, the better you'll be able to pronounce everything :smile:

Hi, thanks! I would say speaking is definitely the worst for me as well, so thanks for the tips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending