The Student Room Group

Is a chromebook good for uni?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what laptop to get for university. I want it to last my whole course, and not be too expensive, so I was thinking of a chromebook, but someone told me they are not good for university, although they did not give any reasons, so I dont know why. I want to do medicine, so I think it will have to have a good amount of storage. Basically asking whether chromebooks will be good /other laptop recommendation. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what laptop to get for university. I want it to last my whole course, and not be too expensive, so I was thinking of a chromebook, but someone told me they are not good for university, although they did not give any reasons, so I dont know why. I want to do medicine, so I think it will have to have a good amount of storage. Basically asking whether chromebooks will be good /other laptop recommendation. Thank you :smile:

Hello, personally I am not an expert, but as a student, I have found this website particularly useful when choosing a laptop: Student Laptops 2021. The ACER CHROMEBOOK 315 has overall been described as the best budget student laptop. The reasons to buy include: quality screen, long-lasting battery and attractive price (about 300 pounds). Many other options are also listed, including mid-range, and the most expensive laptops.

I would also recommend watching this YouTube clip (Student Laptops 2020), since it provides you with a detailed advice as to which laptop would be best for you, considering both the price, and what you will actually use the laptop for.

I hope this helps :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, personally I am not an expert, but as a student, I have found this website particularly useful when choosing a laptop: Student Laptops 2021. The ACER CHROMEBOOK 315 has overall been described as the best budget student laptop. The reasons to buy include: quality screen, long-lasting battery and attractive price (about 300 pounds). Many other options are also listed, including mid-range, and the most expensive laptops.

I would also recommend watching this YouTube clip (Student Laptops 2020), since it provides you with a detailed advice as to which laptop would be best for you, considering both the price, and what you will actually use the laptop for.

I hope this helps :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).

Thanks so much, I will definitely check them out!
I had a chromebook in 6th form and my first 1.5 years of uni.

It was okay. It did everything I needed - my course is very essay based so I mainly just needed Google Docs. If you're on a budget, it's not a bad option.

However, it couldn't do everything I wanted. It can't play DVDs (even with an external DVD drive), which I sometimes needed as my course involves film. Sometimes I had to find an online workaround if I couldn't download recommended software. I don't know how much software medicine involves.

When my chromebook broke, I bought a Windows laptop. It's a bit pricier and chunkier, but I never have problems with incompatible software.
Original post by Anonymous

If looking on the more expensive end of the spectrum, Acer Chromebook Spin 713 is a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending