The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

economics

economics and management at Southampton or Sheffield uni got offers from both but cant decide. Any ideas ?
Internationally, Sheffield = 93, Southampton = 90.

Both are similarly ranked.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Hello4568
economics and management at Southampton or Sheffield uni got offers from both but cant decide. Any ideas ?

Hi! Recent grad from The University of Sheffield here :smile:

At Sheffield, all our courses within the Management School are Triple-Crown accredited, meaning Sheffield's Business School is in the Top 1% of Business schools worldwide. Within our Management School, we have a really impressive, fully-equipped financial trading room, built around Bloomberg and Refinitiv Eikon. These terminals are used by traders, banks and multinational companies to trade financial securities, gain market insights and undertake research, and you can spend even more time in them if you join Sheffield's Investment Society (if this is something you're interested in). Management Society (ManSoc) is a really active student society at Sheffield too. They host annual formal dinners, intramural football and netball teams, and they're a great way to meet people on your course. We also have a really popular Economics society too, so you're spoilt for choice with course societies really.

We have excellent links with industry if you're interested in a Work Placement, and the The Management School has a really great dedicated Employability Hub. It's the job of the team there to help you secure a work placement or a graduate job. You can book 1-1 sessions, have your CV checked over and edited, you can get help with a job application, or just simply head there for a chat and some advice re. placements or jobs!

In terms of Sheffield in general, it's a great place to be a student - it's cheap to live, has great nightlife and culture, and we have The Number 1 Students Union in the country. We're a city campus University, which I really liked - it's handy to nip into town after lectures for lunch, coffee, or to go the shops, but you're still in a student 'bubble' on campus and surrounded by students. Our first year halls (Endcliffe + Ranmoor Student Villages) are regularly voted in the Top 3 University accommodation in the country - I loved my time there, so make sure to check out our virtual tours of halls, our campus tour, and Students Union here for a better idea of what they're like.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
- Ellie
MEng Chemical Engineering Graduate
Reply 3
Thank you for this really helpful comment.

I just wanted to ask what the football teams like at Sheffield and how it works ?

Many Thanks
Original post by Hello4568
Thank you for this really helpful comment.

I just wanted to ask what the football teams like at Sheffield and how it works ?

Many Thanks

Hi thanks for your message, and we're glad to hear the comment was helpful!

In terms of football teams at Sheffield and how they work, there's a number of options you may be interested in. The Management Society (MANSOC), as part of the Student's Union currently has several successful men’s football teams and a title-winning women’s netball team that are open to all abilities. You can find out more here on the Management Society's webpage.

There is also The University of Sheffield Men's Football Club (SUMFC), which has five teams, four of which compete against other universities in BUCS (British University and College) leagues and The University of Sheffield Women's Football Club (SUWFC), made up of three competitive teams, who play other universities at BUCS level.

I hope that helps, but please feel free to ask us any more questions you have!
- Danielle :smile:
BA English and History and MA Historical Research graduate
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending