The Student Room Group

Got flashed on the M1 but wasn’t speeding?

On the way home today from work I went through a camera on the M1 and saw one bright flash in my wing mirror.

However there was no variable speed limit on the gantry so on paper the speed limit should have been 70 and my speedometer was at 70 (maybe 71) and yet I saw this flash. What makes me worry more is that the van in the fast lane slowed down before the camera as if it was a 60 then sped up after the camera. However i am 100% sure that there were no variable speed limits on the signs up above.

Is it possible that the speed was set to 60 and this specific gantry sign didn’t show it? I am really worrying about this as I drive on the motorway everyday and this has never happened. Do the smart motorway cameras only flash once?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by crywolf_
On the way home today from work I went through a camera on the M1 and saw one bright flash in my wing mirror.

However there was no variable speed limit on the gantry so on paper the speed limit should have been 70 and my speedometer was at 70 (maybe 71) and yet I saw this flash. What makes me worry more is that the van in the fast lane slowed down before the camera as if it was a 60 then sped up after the camera. However i am 100% sure that there were no variable speed limits on the signs up above.

Is it possible that the speed was set to 60 and this specific gantry sign didn’t show it? I am really worrying about this as I drive on the motorway everyday and this has never happened. Do the smart motorway cameras only flash once?

They flash twice. You're fine.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
They flash twice. You're fine.

I thought this but after doing some research apparently the M1 smart cameras are ‘HADECS’ and only need to flash once. This would make sense as my mate got caught speeding on the M1 about 4 months ago and I was with him and I’m fairly certain I only remember one flash
Reply 3
I thought this but after doing some research apparently the M1 smart cameras are ‘HADECS’ and only need to flash once. This would make sense as my mate got caught speeding on the M1 about 4 months ago and I was with him and I’m fairly certain I only remember one flash

Which version of HADECS? HADECS 3 don't visibly flash, and HADECS 2 indeed flash twice...
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Which version of HADECS? HADECS 3 don't visibly flash, and HADECS 2 indeed flash twice...

I’m not actually sure, I wasn’t actually aware there were different types.

This was on the M1 approaching J9 to Luton. The cameras were just them little yellow box things on the left side of the gantry, I thought all the motorway cameras were the same. There was only one flash but it was daytime and very bright so it couldn’t have been anyone’s full beams, it also came from the left hand side of my van where the camera would be located.

It’s a bit odd to say the least..
Reply 5

This was on the M1 approaching J9 to Luton. The cameras were just them little yellow box things on the left side of the gantry, I thought all the motorway cameras were the same. There was only one flash but it was daytime and very bright so it couldn’t have been anyone’s full beams, it also came from the left hand side of my van where the camera would be located.

It's not unusual for cameras to randomly flash every now and then.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
It's not unusual for cameras to randomly flash every now and then.

I know I shouldn’t be worried because I wasn’t even speeding, I just have anxiety. Is there a chance that the limit could have changed to a 60 without it showing on the sign? I just can’t help but remember the guy in the fast lane slowing down to like 65 before the camera and then speeding up again.
Reply 7
I know I shouldn’t be worried because I wasn’t even speeding, I just have anxiety. Is there a chance that the limit could have changed to a 60 without it showing on the sign? I just can’t help but remember the guy in the fast lane slowing down to like 65 before the camera and then speeding up again.

No.
Reply 8

Lots of people slow down excessively when they realise there’s a camera or police nearby.

If the speed limit had been changed, it would be clearly marked. Is it possible the camera flashed at another vehicle or randomly flashed?

I doubt you have anything to worry about. Give it 14 days and you’ll be clear anyway, there’s nothing you can do about it now.
Reply 9
Original post by Bexjw
Lots of people slow down excessively when they realise there’s a camera or police nearby.

If the speed limit had been changed, it would be clearly marked. Is it possible the camera flashed at another vehicle or randomly flashed?

I doubt you have anything to worry about. Give it 14 days and you’ll be clear anyway, there’s nothing you can do about

I don’t think it could have been anyone else. No other cars went under the gantry at the same time as me and the flash came from the left side of the road as if it was from the camera. All the cars behind me hadn’t entered the gantry yet

If you were doing the speed limit, the camera wouldn't pick you up. If I recall correctly, HADECS cameras are also being employed as average checks - meaning no matter if you slow down for them whilst speeding in between, you will be fined.

As Tom's mentioned, the ones usually found on the side of the gantry, HADECS 3, are the non-visible flash variant (although sometimes you can see a faint flash).

No. And if it changed suddenly, as you were passing it, you'd be in the grace period it gives.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by RoyalSheepy
If you were doing the speed limit, the camera wouldn't pick you up. If I recall correctly, HADECS cameras are also being employed as average checks - meaning no matter if you slow down for them whilst speeding in between, you will be fined.

As Tom's mentioned, the ones usually found on the side of the gantry, HADECS 3, are the non-visible flash variant (although sometimes you can see a faint flash).

No. And if it changed suddenly, as you were passing it, you'd be in the grace period it gives.

I’m hoping it was just someone’s full beams or someone else getting flashed maybe a couple of gantries behind me or something.

Also in regards to them being used as average checks, this is something I’ve never seen on the M1 or the M25 as I drive on these fairly often as I drive everywhere for my job (electrician) however I have seen an average speed check of 50 on the beginning of the M4 heading out of London. Could be wrong though, but if the motorway cameras were average then I’m sure most people would have been caught out by now as I see people speeding up after the cameras everyday
Reply 12
Very interesting. I was flashed at the same camera tonight, just before J9. I’ve been taking this route to and from work for 4 years so I’m not stupid. My speed said 72mph and I was flashed, whereas I always see people manage to go through just under 80mph with no flash and no lorries going under at the same time. I am really concerned. Did you get a ticket? A few months ago the speed limit changed from 70 to 50 about 1 second before I went under the camera and I couldn’t just slam on my break so I didn’t get my speed down quick enough. It flashed me but I didn’t receive a ticket. So hopefully if the speed limit changed just as you were going through then they should allow it.
The exact same thing happened to me tonight, at the exact same camera, M1, just before junction 9, I could have sworn I was only doing 68mph, and now I'm stressing haha! It flashed twice I think, but I'm absolutely certain I wasn't speeding
Reply 14
Original post by Laurenbyrne_97
The exact same thing happened to me tonight, at the exact same camera, M1, just before junction 9, I could have sworn I was only doing 68mph, and now I'm stressing haha! It flashed twice I think, but I'm absolutely certain I wasn't speeding

All the photos need to be verified and measured before they are used for sending you a NIP, if you weren't speeding then you have nothing to worry about as the distance you travelled between the lines on the road will support this when they review the image.

I've driven past that one many times, it's a HADECS 3. It can measure up to 4 lanes independently and has a virtual secondary speed measurement that looks like this (https://www.surreypas.co.uk/content/HADECS3/image003.jpg), which is used to distinguish between the offending vehicles. Either someone else was speeding, or the control unit restarted which causes it to flash when it does.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16

That is a HADECS3 spot speed camera with visible two flashes. If that gantry did not say a lower speed limit then it will enforce 70.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17

You’re fine, I never got anything in the post. I think they just flash randomly at points or it caught someone else but if you wasn’t speeding then you’re fine
That’s crazy I just got flashed yesterday, and I believe it’s in the very same place u guys are mentioning.
There is a huge H&M and Amazon warehouse at the left side isn’t there?
Reply 19
Do the gantry signs have to be on to receive a penalty ? Ive just received one but no signs are on in the images??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending