The Student Room Group

Why can't people see past politics in relationships

I have been speaking to someone for the whole night and as soon as she found out that I was conservative, she decides that she can no longer talk to me. Why is there people like this???? Slightly strange and sad reaction

Scroll to see replies

Tbh if I found out a girl I was speaking to was a Tory I’d stop talking to her. Look at what they’ve done the past year. Tbh I couldn’t associate with anyone who supports the conservative party
It’s more than just politics, your political affiliation says a lot about you. Like I said, tories are inherently selfish. Big red flag. It’s also hard to leave politics out of a relationship when it defines a lot of your views on social, economic etc matters
In a lot of ways your politics are a reflection of your morality, intelligence and your core values. If someone believes your view is fundamentally harmful to other people it’s a bit of a turn off. If you’re conservative and the girl you’re talking to believes tory policy harms thousands of people, it’s a very hard thing to overlook. In my opinion your politics are your core values and the way you view the world, so if they don’t align, it shows you probably won’t click as people.
Reply 4
Original post by ballet.nerd
In a lot of ways your politics are a reflection of your morality, intelligence and your core values. If someone believes your view is fundamentally harmful to other people it’s a bit of a turn off. If you’re conservative and the girl you’re talking to believes tory policy harms thousands of people, it’s a very hard thing to overlook. In my opinion your politics are your core values and the way you view the world, so if they don’t align, it shows you probably won’t click as people.

christ that sounds shallow lmao, says a lot about them
Reply 5
Original post by joshghandi
It’s more than just politics, your political affiliation says a lot about you. Like I said, tories are inherently selfish. Big red flag. It’s also hard to leave politics out of a relationship when it defines a lot of your views on social, economic etc matters

lmao, really a deluded statement , people that follow what you said are the low of the low 😬 may need to grow up and learn to be able to talk to people who have different views, love how it's all one way 😂
Reply 6
Tories are inherently selfish and greedy. Tbh if I found out a girl I was speaking to was a Tory I’d stop talking to her. Look at what they’ve done the past year. Tbh I couldn’t associate with anyone who supports the conservative party

if your mum decides to support the conservative party, you just don't associate yourself with her? LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING 😂
Original post by Anonymous
lmao, really a deluded statement , people that follow what you said are the low of the low 😬 may need to grow up and learn to be able to talk to people who have different views, love how it's all one way 😂

Listen, you asked the question and we gave you an answer.
Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

I have a lot of friends who have different views to me and I like that. However, I don’t have friends who support the conservative parties for he reasons that have been stated in this thread.

Just accept that she doesn’t like you because you’re a Tory and move on🤷🏼*♂️ not my fault she hurt your feelings mate
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Gilo200
if your mum decides to support the conservative party, you just don't associate yourself with her? LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING 😂

My mum raised me so I’d probably share the same views as her? If she supported conservatives then I would have been raised to support them too...

If she supported them now then I probably wouldn’t be as close with her as I am.
Reply 9
Listen, you asked the question and we people gave you an answer.
Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

I have a lot of friends who have different views to me and I like that. However, I don’t have friends who support the conservative parties for he reasons that have been stated in this thread.

Just accept that she doesn’t like you because you’re a Tory and move on🤷🏼*♂️ not my fault she hurt your feelings mate

she didn't at all, not bothered, just saying it's very sad by her 😂 you have a very ignorant take on people who have different political views
My mum raised me so I’d probably share the same views as her? If she supported conservatives then I would have been raised to support them too...

If she supported them now then I probably wouldn’t be as close with her as I am.

wow, shows the intellect you have. can't make a decision yourself , you just are brought up to hate tories ? 🤔😝
she didn't at all, not bothered, just saying it's very sad by her 😂 you have a very ignorant take on people who have different political views

If you weren’t bothered then you wouldn’t have made a post about it.
I just don’t like what tories stand for so therefore I’m not close friends with any. My ex girlfriend was a Tory. I looked past it and we disagreed on lots of things which she always escalated. There’s a reason we didn’t work out
wow, shows the intellect you have. can't make a decision yourself , you just are brought up to hate tories ? 🤔😝

Nah my mum is Lib Dem and doesn’t mind tories at all. I’m labour but I share a lot of values with my mum, I’m just more left leaning than her. Cheers tho👍🏼
If you weren’t bothered then you wouldn’t have made a post about it.
I just don’t like what tories stand for so therefore I’m not close friends with any. My ex girlfriend was a Tory. I looked past it and we disagreed on lots of things which she always escalated. There’s a reason we didn’t work out

I guess she will move on to bigger and better things ayy , I'm curious , not bothered by it. anyway , good night :smile:)
Original post by Interea
There’s a difference between tolerating different views and deciding whether or not you want to form a close relationship with a person - there’s absolutely no point in choosing to spend significant amounts of time with someone you will likely disagree with on everything, close relationships aren’t meant to be stressful!

I'm on about being friends etc, why can't they look past this , I understand your not gonna wife someone that u disagree with on everything, but why can't they look past this in a friendship
I guess she will move on to bigger and better things ayy , I'm curious , not bothered by it. anyway , good night :smile:)

have a good one
it varies from person to person so we cant answer on anyones behalf. Personally I do have a few friends who support tories despite what I said earlier. Its hard to ignore some of the **** they say though because I disagree with it so much. The only reason im mates with them is because ive been friends with them since they were young before we knew anything about politics.

(Original post by Anonymous)I'm on about being friends etc, why can't they look past this , I understand your not gonna wife someone that u disagree with on everything, but why can't they look past this in a friendship
I've never understood it personally either. Politics is literally facilitated on disagreement, it's natural that people are going to have opposing views.

I've both been friends with and dated people that have had political opinions that I don't necessarily agree with, unless it's an extreme view then I don't understand why that should have a bearing on how you perceive the person.

If you're the kind of person that's going to be easily offended by politics, it's best to leave it out of dating.
Original post by MidgetFever
I've never understood it personally either. Politics is literally facilitated on disagreement, it's natural that people are going to have opposing views.

I've both been friends with and dated people that have had political opinions that I don't necessarily agree with, unless it's an extreme view then I don't understand why that should have a bearing on how you perceive the person.

If you're the kind of person that's going to be easily offended by politics, it's best to leave it out of dating.

agreed, thx for that
Reply 19
I have been speaking to someone for the whole night and as soon as she found out that I was conservative, she decides that she can no longer talk to me. Why is there people like this???? Slightly strange and sad reaction

Instead of asking you why you believe that and having a civil discussion, she chose to prioritise her reputation ("you're dating a tory? eww") and her probably fragile worldview. I'm not saying your worldview is necessarily right, but most people don't want their worldview challenged because it would be too much for them and may even break them completely. Or simply because they're cowardly.
Anyway, you got rejected. Time to contemplate what to do. Good luck though. Ignore the people who tell you you deserve it, if she couldn't bypass a fundamental disagreement in opinions then the relationship probably wouldn't have lasted in the long term - although I don't know this, and simply say it to comfort.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending