The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Best Uni of Leeds Accommodation

Hi,

I'm applying to the Uni of Leeds and I'm in the process of choosing my halls. All the research that I've done, seems to be super out of date. Firstly, I wanted to ask whether Charles Morris is a catered or self-catered accommodation since the website and other forums all say a different thing. I'm also interested in Henry Price but both these accommodations tend to be super oversubscribed from what I hear. So my question is, which one of the two is better, both socially and facilities wise. So, I'm thinking of choosing one of those as a first choice and a safe choice like Montague Burton. The whole shared bathroom situation tho...what's that like?

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
Hey, I'm a current UoL student staying at james baillie.

Charles Morris is a catered accommodation.
I wouldn't worry about if a place was oversubscribed in previous years? Most people get their first choice and if not, they get put into a similar accom.
I know that this year, MontyB had a lot more people applying to it- the numbers/popularity changes each year.

In Henry Price they share bathrooms with one other person. They do have some ensuites but they're prioritised for those with disabilities/medical needs etc.
My accom is ensuite but from the other places I've been in, sharing a bathroom isn't that bad. It honestly depends on the people you're living with and how many you're sharing with.
Facilities right now are pretty limited due to corona so I can't comment on those.

Socially- it really depends on the people you're put with.
I'm in James Baillie but my flatmates are all pretty dead so my flat doesn't feel that social. I've been to other accommodations which I read online weren't that social but when I went there it was really active.
It really depends on the year and the people you get matched with.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by elb0w
Hey, I'm a current UoL student staying at james baillie.

Charles Morris is a catered accommodation.
I wouldn't worry about if a place was oversubscribed in previous years? Most people get their first choice and if not, they get put into a similar accom.
I know that this year, MontyB had a lot more people applying to it- the numbers/popularity changes each year.

In Henry Price they share bathrooms with one other person. They do have some ensuites but they're prioritised for those with disabilities/medical needs etc.
My accom is ensuite but from the other places I've been in, sharing a bathroom isn't that bad. It honestly depends on the people you're living with and how many you're sharing with.
Facilities right now are pretty limited due to corona so I can't comment on those.

Socially- it really depends on the people you're put with.
I'm in James Baillie but my flatmates are all pretty dead so my flat doesn't feel that social. I've been to other accommodations which I read online weren't that social but when I went there it was really active.
It really depends on the year and the people you get matched with.

hey, thanks for the help! Apart from the accoms mentioned before, which would you say is the best self-catered accom nearer to the campus? (max 10 mins walk distance) x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm applying to the Uni of Leeds and I'm in the process of choosing my halls. All the research that I've done, seems to be super out of date. Firstly, I wanted to ask whether Charles Morris is a catered or self-catered accommodation since the website and other forums all say a different thing. I'm also interested in Henry Price but both these accommodations tend to be super oversubscribed from what I hear. So my question is, which one of the two is better, both socially and facilities wise. So, I'm thinking of choosing one of those as a first choice and a safe choice like Montague Burton. The whole shared bathroom situation tho...what's that like?

Thanks for the help!

Hey! So I can't really comment on the two you've said but I do believe Charles Morris, which is normally catered, is self catered this year due to covid. It is confusing but any questions like that are worth shooting to the accommodation team via email.

I stayed at Montague Burton and loved it! I was in a flat of 9 with 3 toilets and 3 showers shared between us and there was never really a queue. They were cleaned at least once a week and the flat is such brill value for money esp with it being so close to uni. I'd recommend it to anyone!

By the sounds fo your post too it seems like you want to put down two options. Unless the application process has changed, you can only choose one I'm afraid.

Hope this has helped and anymore questions just ask!
Reply 4
Oh ok that makes sense. The amount of options we are able to choose was also confusing because I've heard different things, but that clears it up!

I have another general question...are the flats divided by gender or is it an unpredictable mixture?

Thank you for your help!
Oh ok that makes sense. The amount of options we are able to choose was also confusing because I've heard different things, but that clears it up!

I have another general question...are the flats divided by gender or is it an unpredictable mixture?

Thank you for your help!

There is a section in the application asking for certain preferences such as mixed or single gender, if you want a vegetarian flat, etc.
Reply 6
Hi all,

Got an unconditional offer at UoL for Environment and Business as got predicted results in 2020 cos of covid (lucky **** :smile:)

Anyone got any recommendations for the most sociable accommodation? Heard Henry Price and Charles Morris are both pretty decent?? Any info would help :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: x
Original post by obirks33
Hi all,

Got an unconditional offer at UoL for Environment and Business as got predicted results in 2020 cos of covid (lucky **** :smile:)

Anyone got any recommendations for the most sociable accommodation? Heard Henry Price and Charles Morris are both pretty decent?? Any info would help :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: x

Hi, I don’t go to uni of Leeds myself but am going to firm my offer for 2021 entry and really like the look of both Henry Price and Charles Morris. I’ve spoken to various people who go there already and I’ve been recommended to apply to Charles Morris as apparently it’s really sociable and the flat parties are great! I hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mbentley0071
Hi, I don’t go to uni of Leeds myself but am going to firm my offer for 2021 entry and really like the look of both Henry Price and Charles Morris. I’ve spoken to various people who go there already and I’ve been recommended to apply to Charles Morris as apparently it’s really sociable and the flat parties are great! I hope this helps a bit :smile:

Thank you, appreciate it :smile:
Original post by obirks33
Thank you, appreciate it :smile:

No worries, if you’ve got any more questions then just ask and I might be able to find out :smile:
hi, are there any current uni of leeds students staying in White Rose View or know of anyone staying there? I know it was new from sept 2020 so just wondered what people thought of it in comparison to other such as socially. any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Rosieerushton
hi, are there any current uni of leeds students staying in White Rose View or know of anyone staying there? I know it was new from sept 2020 so just wondered what people thought of it in comparison to other such as socially. any help would be appreciated.

hiyaaaa :P i’m in white rose view atm and it is really sociable to say how new it is! plus because its so tall and newly built you dont really get noise complaints and because its owned by unite students the desk leave in the evenings plus they dont really care much about flat parties anyway. aaand you obvs get a basically brand new on suite and all the fancy common room facilities too. HAH it sounds like im sponsored or somethin 😭 but it acc has been really good this year!!! if u want any more info feel free to ask :smile:
hiyaaaa :P i’m in white rose view atm and it is really sociable to say how new it is! plus because its so tall and newly built you dont really get noise complaints and because its owned by unite students the desk leave in the evenings plus they dont really care much about flat parties anyway. aaand you obvs get a basically brand new on suite and all the fancy common room facilities too. HAH it sounds like im sponsored or somethin 😭 but it acc has been really good this year!!! if u want any more info feel free to ask :smile:

hiii:smile: i really like white rose view and hoping to get it if i firm leeds! Was it your first choice accomodation? Do you think the demand for it will be high this year?
I have sent off my application for accommodation and I have applied for CitySide. I was just wondering if it is one of the accommodations that is more oversubscribed than others? or if I am likely to get it? any help and info would be great : )
Reply 14

Hi, I really love White rose but again as I know it was new was worried about the social side. I know it’s only been open since COVID so it can’t have been the most amazing yet but how did u find the social scene compared to other accoms like James bailie of Charles Morris. Thank so much :smile:
Im looking to put Leeds down as my firm choice so just started looking into accommodation and things - looking for halls that are sociable, self-catered and cheap, any past or current UoL students have any opinions about which halls are best for these things?

oooh i'm considering white rose view. it seems like really nice accommodation and for £158 a week not too bad considering
I want something that is sociable, so James Baille / Charles Morris / Henry Price. I'm scared that I wouldn't get them and end up somewhere dull, am I safer just putting down Lupton?
For info, in case people get confused, Charles Morris is both catered and self-catered this year.

"Both Dobree and Whetton houses are catered accommodation whilst Storm Jameson Court rooms are offered on a self-catered basis."

Quick Reply

Latest