The Student Room Group

CAMHS experiences?

I've been trying to find threads of peoples CAMHS experiences but they seem pretty old. Could anyone describe how their experience was like to me? I would say I'm having a pretty decent experience, probably because my clinic is also in a posh area where a lot of the other people there I see actually go private schools. But I'm getting a different, new worker and it's making me nervous.
I waited 3 months for a phone consultation. It’s another 4 until they can schedule me an appointment

Needless to say I’ve given up and gone private where I can have an appointment next week
(edited 3 years ago)
Only posting in anon because some of the following details might reveal the area that I live in.
CAMHS shared it waiting room with the urgent access dentist and podiatry clinic. I called it the 'dental-mental'
CAMHS patients would have to use a large red phone they was connected to the wall to call upto the CAHMS receptionists.
The psychiatrist, Dr PR had a glittery sign in his office saying 'Where there is Pablo there is hope'. The walls where covered in pharmaceutical company posters advertising various types of ADHD medication. There was also an A-Z poster of emotions.
Each room has a set of scales, and a sanitising station in it. There where also toys because obviously they see a wide range of ages.
Original post by Anonymous
Only posting in anon because some of the following details might reveal the area that I live in.
CAMHS shared it waiting room with the urgent access dentist and podiatry clinic. I called it the 'dental-mental'
CAMHS patients would have to use a large red phone they was connected to the wall to call upto the CAHMS receptionists.
The psychiatrist, Dr PR had a glittery sign in his office saying 'Where there is Pablo there is hope'. The walls where covered in pharmaceutical company posters advertising various types of ADHD medication. There was also an A-Z poster of emotions.
Each room has a set of scales, and a sanitising station in it. There where also toys because obviously they see a wide range of ages.

Just realised that you where not asking for a description of the clinic, sorry.
Reply 4
Hiya so my CAHMS experience was not bad. I went for my first introductory session and was deemed a risk but not a high risk so I was meant to be on a waiting list but since our family has private we went there instead. Sorry I don't have much experience but I just wanted to say that the lady who I was with was so lovely!
I'll start again,
Out patient CAMHS was OK. I wasn't very willing to work with the staff though, so I didn't benefit as much as I could have done. I think I was refered 3 times between the ages of 13-16

My parents interfered with my treatment, discharging me from the service.

The occupational therapist was very good, however at the time the area has a 18 month waiting list for an ASD assessment/ diagnosis.
I felt like I couldn't talk about my body image as one mental health worker looked too fat so I fiered that she would think I was being rude and the other was too skinny.

I felt like I couldn't talk about my body image as one mental health worker looked too fat so I fiered that she would think I was being rude

Omg, me too. CAMHS ended up being a huge waste of time for me because of this because I was too ashamed of disclosing my ED, which is when was causing me to SH (the reason I was referred).
Reply 7
Omg, me too. CAMHS ended up being a huge waste of time for me because of this because I was too ashamed of disclosing my ED, which is when was causing me to SH (the reason I was referred).

Oh no! I used to SH so I think I might understand where you're coming from. Feel free to pm me if you need to :smile:
Reply 8
update i had a good worker she was pretty nice did some research and runs several private clinics in posh ends i guess im lucky
I've been trying to find threads of peoples CAMHS experiences but they seem pretty old. Could anyone describe how their experience was like to me? I would say I'm having a pretty decent experience, probably because my clinic is also in a posh area where a lot of the other people there I see actually go private schools. But I'm getting a different, new worker and it's making me nervous.

My experience at CAMHS was awful, if I'm honest. He was really strict, and kept on interrupting me and saying I was wrong. At the end, he yelled 'you are not mentally ill' but he said I just have a crap relationship with my parents which is making me doing things I guess you can imagine. Anyway, my parents got yelled at for not treating me correctly and then it was over. I could have had a MUCH better experience, I think I just got the wrong therapist for me. On the positive, my parents got told off and now the school knows how bad my relationship with my parents is and why they scare me so much. You should get a much better experience, I was just unlucky. You can always ask to go to someone else if you don't gel with the one your going to as well :smile:
I've waited a few months now since an attempt that put me in the hospital for a few days and anything is yet to be heard from cahms about the apparent 'support' that would be provided to me. i dont feel like cahms thinks logically when it comes to suicidal or high risk patients as many of my friends and me are at high risk yet have to wait months or a year to get any support.They also told me just because i have a good life (which my mum told them, the woman who is obsessed with having 'normal children') means i cant be depressed or suicidal at all and that the attempt was a one off thing and that they bet i wouldn't do it again. in other words, cahms is absolute dog shite

Quick Reply

Latest