The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

opinion on uni options

I've applied to Lancaster, kent, Dundee, york, and Warwick
so far I have received offers from the first three
are my uni options to study law rubbish?
I was planning on firming Lancaster and having Dundee as insurance
what do I do
are they bad?
any advice would be welcomed :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've applied to Lancaster, kent, Dundee, york, and Warwick
so far I have received offers from the first three
are my uni options to study law rubbish?
I was planning on firming Lancaster and having Dundee as insurance
what do I do
are they bad?
any advice would be welcomed :smile:

Im glad your firming Lancaster. Its a great uni. Law is really good from what ive heard. My daughter studies Physics at lancaster and she loves it. Shes there now studying and although its been hard during lockdown for all students, she still gets the bus into the city for shops and plenty of walking places, including the woodland walk round the edge of campus. And its got loads of eateries on campus too. Shes also kept busy with 4 modules this term as well as exams. The city is lovely, and she will be living in the heart of it in year 2 with 7 others. Shes in Grizedale college and its not far from Law department, about 10 mins walk :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Im glad your firming Lancaster. Its a great uni. Law is really good from what ive heard. My daughter studies Physics at lancaster and she loves it. Shes there now studying and although its been hard during lockdown for all students, she still gets the bus into the city for shops and plenty of walking places, including the woodland walk round the edge of campus. And its got loads of eateries on campus too. Shes also kept busy with 4 modules this term as well as exams. The city is lovely, and she will be living in the heart of it in year 2 with 7 others. Shes in Grizedale college and its not far from Law department, about 10 mins walk :smile:

in terms of law, uni prestige isn't it pretty low?
so people are less likely to be employed by London firms with a degree from Lancaster?
so people are less likely to be employed by London firms with a degree from Lancaster?

If I were you I think warwick would be the best bet for graduate prospects. And then maybe York or Lancaster as insurance

If you want a job at a big reputable firm in London, they’ll automatically be looking for graduates from the top law schools (Oxford, Cambridge etc.) and maybe some other law schools just a tier below (Bristol, Notts, kings and Warwick possibly) therefore I would think Warwick would give u the best shot at securing a job at a top firm
Reply 5
If I were you I think warwick would be the best bet for graduate prospects. And then maybe York or Lancaster as insurance

i havent gotten an offer from them yet so i cant do much my grades as predicted are only AAB haha
Reply 6
If you want a job at a big reputable firm in London, they’ll automatically be looking for graduates from the top law schools (Oxford, Cambridge etc.) and maybe some other law schools just a tier below (Bristol, Notts, kings and Warwick possibly) therefore I would think Warwick would give u the best shot at securing a job at a top firm

how about doing post grad in one of those unis instead?
how about doing post grad in one of those unis instead?

Yeah I think if you could secure a place for postgrad at a top uni then your opportunities would be greatly increased
Reply 8
Yeah I think if you could secure a place for postgrad at a top uni then your opportunities would be greatly increased

is it possible or very hard if I go to uni like Dundee (ranked 11th) or Lancaster i think is ranked 16th im complete university guide
and then do law school in these ones?
Warwick

i can tell you about warwick in general if you have any questions? (not law related)
is it possible or very hard if I go to uni like Dundee (ranked 11th) or Lancaster i think is ranked 16th im complete university guide

I wouldn’t really rely on the uni guide rankings as much just because they don’t really reflect the reputation or prestige accurately. For example Aberdeen is ranked 6th and Durham is ranked 10th and Bristol is ranked 20th, however I can guarantee almost 100% of employers would take the Durham or Bristol graduates over the Aberdeen graduate if they had the same qualifications. I would say if you did really well in your uni and graduated with a first or high 2:1, you would have a fair chance in securing a postgrad at a top school

Also want to specify that in no way are Lancaster or Dundee bad schools for law, and in no way as I saying that if you get a degree from these schools you will definitely not get employed by a top law firm however given how competitive the profession is and how many graduates there are, the top law firms have a large group of graduates to choose from and can afford to pick and choose, therefore having a degree from a top institution will really boost your chances
Also want to specify that in no way are Lancaster or Dundee bad schools for law, and in no way as I saying that if you get a degree from these schools you will definitely not get employed by a top law firm however given how competitive the profession is and how many graduates there are, the top law firms have a large group of graduates to choose from and can afford to pick and choose, therefore having a degree from a top institution will really boost your chances

that makes sense I suppose
I didn't apply to those schools due to the LNAT
so my plan is initially to go to one of these and get into a top post-grad school
due to covid predicted grades have been really iffy so I got predicted AAB
as long as I have a post-grad uni such as bristol KCL or LSE or UCL should I be okay?
Original post by parmezanne
i can tell you about warwick in general if you have any questions? (not law related)

ah thank you but I haven't even got an offer and prolly will be rejected since I applied with AAB and the entry requirements are AAA haha ty tho
ah thank you but I haven't even got an offer and prolly will be rejected since I applied with AAB and the entry requirements are AAA haha ty tho

don't worry - i didn't get my offer until Feb last year. Let me know if you do have any questions. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest