The Student Room Group

My parents can afford but will not pay for my university

I have an offer from the university of Warwick but although my parents are in the top 1% of earners they will not pay for it. What can I do because I still want to go there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fred10
I have an offer from the university of Warwick but although my parents are in the top 1% of earners they will not pay for it. What can I do because I still want to go there?

student loan ????
Are you applying for student loans?
Original post by Fred10

I think it is because they believe in loans.
Reply 4
Original post by yeye21
I think it is because they believe in loans.

it’s because OP’s parents earn that much OP doesn’t qualify for a student loan (or one that will fund uni expenses)
Reply 5
My friend is in the exact same position as you and as a result had to apply to unis close to home and stay at home. Will they not support you at all?
Original post by nikk09
it’s because OP’s parents earn that much OP doesn’t qualify for a student loan (or one that will fund uni expenses)

anyone can qualify for a student loan, it's just that you would qualify for the minimum levels
Reply 7
Well I said I didn’t need one on my ucas application because they said they would but now they have said they won’t.
Reply 8
Original post by yeye21
anyone can qualify for a student loan, it's just that you would qualify for the minimum levels

Look you're 11 so I get that you don't understand how this system works

i put that in brackets? I’m 18 but cheers
Reply 9
Yeh I guess I could do that but there’s no way I’m going to be able to cover the cost just working for a year
Original post by Fred10
Yeh I guess I could do that but there’s no way I’m going to be able to cover the cost just working for a year

The cheapest accommodation at Warwick would cost you £3080 for the year, and you'd be entitled to about £4200 in student loans, so you'd be fine if you just worked a bit to give you a bit more of a safety net.
Reply 11
are there any scholarships/ bursaries you might qualify for?
Pay for what? uk resident students get a loan to fully cover the uni tuition fees regardless of the household income...

The loan that reduces with increasing household income is the maintainance loan which is for living expenses apart from the tuition fees. High income parents aren't expected to pay uni tuition fees but they are expected help with your living costs.
Reply 14
Thank you very much. I have around £5,000 in savings so it seems that I could make it work. Thank you to everyone who commented!
Original post by Fred10
Thank you very much. I have around £5,000 in savings so it seems that I could make it work. Thank you to everyone who commented!

thats more than enough - youre eligible for 4000 maintenance loan and you have 5000 - thats 9,000 for the first year, s so you only need to save 5000 per year whilst studying to have 9000 every year of your course (the loan is per year)
Original post by Fred10

Also you can go into overdraft on your bank account interest free if you are desperate - its not recommended for getting into too much debt but I think many higher income parents would end up paying some of that off rather than the interest on it.
Original post by yeye21

Look you're 11 so I get that you don't understand how this system works

It’s not that wise to assume someone’s age on an online platform :borat:
Original post by Fred10

They could give you what they are saving from not having to feed you, heat your room or wash your clothes etc.
Original post by summerberry19
It’s not that wise to assume someone’s age on an online platform :borat:

had '09' in the username

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending