The Student Room Group

IGCSE vs GCSE

Are they equivalent?
I am an international student applying to law this year, and I have taken 5 IGCSEs.
Would I be disadvantaged given most UK applicants have taken more GCSEs or it wouldn't matter because predicted grades are more important?
Original post by qvee
Are they equivalent?
I am an international student applying to law this year, and I have taken 5 IGCSEs.
Would I be disadvantaged given most UK applicants have taken more GCSEs or it wouldn't matter because predicted grades are more important?

Take a look a the universities you are interested in and see what their GCSE entrance requirements are. Really its only medicine, dentistry and vet science where they state a minimum of 6/7 GCSEs, for most other courses they require maths and English push a range of other GCSEs so your 5 IGCSEs would suffice. In actual fact, the ICSE exams are easier to pass than the GCSE exams and unis should really seek higher grades for IGCSE applicants but most don't bother. Some of the private schools in the UK get their students to take the IGCSE syllabus since they know more of their students will get higher grades and the unis won't be bothered. It's a bit of a loophole which unis need to address.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Take a look a the universities you are interested in and see what their GCSE entrance requirements are. Really its only medicine, dentistry and vet science where they state a minimum of 6/7 GCSEs, for most other courses they require maths and English push a range of other GCSEs so your 5 IGCSEs would suffice. In actual fact, the ICSE exams are easier to pass than the GCSE exams and unis should really seek higher grades for IGCSE applicants but most don't bother. Some of the private schools in the UK get their students to take the IGCSE syllabus since they know more of their students will get higher grades and the unis won't be bothered. It's a bit of a loophole which unis need to address.

Saw some older threads about IGCSEs and GCSEs- there were in fact mixed reactions on whether IGCSEs were easier or not.
Anyways, I researched that most of my applied uni courses are (luckily) more flexible on the weighting of GCSEs for int students. In my location I’m doing 7 A-level equivalent subjects, so I hope they are more lenient on IGCSEs/GCSEs.
Original post by qvee
Saw some older threads about IGCSEs and GCSEs- there were in fact mixed reactions on whether IGCSEs were easier or not.
Anyways, I researched that most of my applied uni courses are (luckily) more flexible on the weighting of GCSEs for int students. In my location I’m doing 7 A-level equivalent subjects, so I hope they are more lenient on IGCSEs/GCSEs.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/study-suggests-igcses-are-easier-than-reformed-gcses/#:~:text=Research%20published%20by%20Education%20DataLab,pupils%20to%20reach%20top%20grades.
Reply 5
Hi there

I work as a university admissions consultant to help prepare students to university.

The above linked articles are not relevant to you. 5 or so years ago IGCSEs were viewed as more rigorous in some subjects due to more content. However new 9-1 GCSEs then were introduced and more difficult than the IGCSEs. This was controversial as many private schools used IGCSEs instead of the new reformed GCSEs. Since then the IGCSEs have also been reformed and the difference is negligible. Some may even argue maths IGCSE is more difficult than the normal GCSEs.

The difference is extremely minor and the above articles are irrelevant and old news. They are completely irrelavent to your year group unless you took the IGCSEs in 2018 or before..

Universities cannot and will not distinguish whether or not you took GCSEs or IGCSEs as they are weighted exactly equivalently. Also A level/IB predicted grades are seen as far more important, Oxbridge and some top unis may take note of your GCSE grades but almost always predicted grades take a much higher significance.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any questions here or on DM
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending