The Student Room Group

What are the 6 types of friends you need?

I use to believe that friends were useless, but as ive grown older i tend to notice that relationships matter much more. Since at the beginning and end of time we were born and will die around people. Nobody on their final death bed thinks about how much money or cars they have made, but generally they think about possibly how many people they have helped.

So enough of the deep talk, my 6 friends which i believe design for the best life are:
The optimist, positive girl/guy motivated to succeed, tries hard at everything doesn't always suceed but remain positive
The funny, funny and humours girl/guy makes you laugh makes life enjoyable
The intelligent, can give good advice and the best way to approach problems, can teach you concepts instantly
The wiseman, gives good advice on what you should and should not do with good reason, can allow you to avoid alot of mistakes, some permanent
The athlete, gives you motivation to work out and stay healthy
The attractive girl/guy, good looking people give you positive emotions and you try harder to impress them, good motivators for achieving in life

Now what are yours?

Scroll to see replies

I wish I could pick friends like Pokemon
Reply 2
Six? Just one I'd be happy with. Anyone who would care about me and enjoy my presence.
Reply 3
I have a single criteria for my mates, and it is simple integrity
You only need friends that genuinely care about.
I'd say that I disagree with this summation of different friends as the descriptions all seem rather 2D. I'd much prefer friends who were more complicated such that they did not have one defining feature which could be used to define them.
I agree that having friends who collectively encompass many different facets is important but I feel that I'd prefer friends who didn't embody a particular characteristic each and were well rounded people in their own rights.
Reply 6
Original post by Rufus the red
I'd say that I disagree with this summation of different friends as the descriptions all seem rather 2D. I'd much prefer friends who were more complicated such that they did not have one defining feature which could be used to define them.
I agree that having friends who collectively encompass many different facets is important but I feel that I'd prefer friends who didn't embody a particular characteristic each and were well rounded people in their own rights.

Yeah but not everyone is going to be as complex as you ant them to be. If you're looking for complexity you may never find it so its best to just select for a few characteristics which are important rather than passing the person
Reply 7
Original post by DiamondYeti
Yeah but not everyone is going to be as complex as you ant them to be. If you're looking for complexity you may never find it so its best to just select for a few characteristics which are important rather than passing the person

pretty much everyone is going to be more complex than your list unless you are selecting your friends from a list of characters from an American Pie film
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
You only need friends that genuinely care about.

I dont know whether you know this or not. But friendship is all about what you can provide to the other person, including emotional depth. The majority of people will never allow emotional depth before some other provisions
Reply 9
I don't like the sounds of any of those friends except maybe the wiseman.
Original post by gjd800
pretty much everyone is going to be more complex than your list unless you are selecting your friends from a list of characters from an American Pie film

Im talking about the main strengths in people, they may have other traits but are much weaker. 50% of the population have an IQ less than or equal to 100. Doesn't seem like such a strength for the majority?
Reply 11
Im talking about the main strengths in people, they may have other traits but are much weaker. 50% of the population have an IQ less than or equal to 100. Doesn't seem like such a strength for the majority?

you can tell that you haven't had many friends. Quantifying this stuff in this way does not track with any of my experiences whatsoever
Original post by gjd800
you can tell that you haven't had many friends. Quantifying this stuff in this way does not track with any of my experiences whatsoever

Thats your experience not mine. And its not really quantification rather qualitative

I disagree.
Would you say that you are a complex person? Would you fit under one of those categories or a similar one?
If you say that you are a complex person then what's to say that your friends aren't?
How would you define a complex person? If it's having more than just one of those things I'd say that everyone is a complex person.

In my opinion, everyone is very complex in such a way that although they may fit under certain categories it's all part of a convoluted venn diagram by which everyone has their own unique position.
The way you phrase that response seems rather cold to me and hints at ideas of you thinking you are different to other people. I would say that complexity is a metric which is impossible to measure by due to the very complexity of it. Thus, people are all individual and unique to the end that they cannot be pigeonholed into certain groups.
You guys have 6 friends??
Reply 15
Thats your experience not mine. And its not really quantification rather qualitative

the minute you start talking about percentages of the populace with certain IQs and, by implication, how personality traits might correspond with both of these factors, it moves from qualitative to...
Original post by Rufus the red
I disagree.
Would you say that you are a complex person? Would you fit under one of those categories or a similar one?
If you say that you are a complex person then what's to say that your friends aren't?
How would you define a complex person? If it's having more than just one of those things I'd say that everyone is a complex person.

In my opinion, everyone is very complex in such a way that although they may fit under certain categories it's all part of a convoluted venn diagram by which everyone has their own unique position.
The way you phrase that response seems rather cold to me and hints at ideas of you thinking you are different to other people. I would say that complexity is a metric which is impossible to measure by due to the very complexity of it. Thus, people are all individual and unique to the end that they cannot be pigeonholed into certain groups.

No i disagree. In my whole life i have never met many people who strike me as rather complex, something that ive seen before. Intelligence is the rarest followed by humour, followed by good looks, the others are much less rare. Though i do tend to see intelligence people have more complex personalities which arises form logical ability and higher sensitivity central nervous system.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
the minute you start talking about percentages of the populace with certain IQs and, by implication, how personality traits might correspond with both of these factors, it moves from qualitative to...

Im just using it to provide proof that intelligence is not plentiful in the majority of people like how you claimed everyone satisfies those requirements

(As an aside, I entirely disagree with the quantification offered by the IQ system.)
What about things that can't be quantified? There are lots of different ways to measure something like intelligence (taking that as an example). One could see how fast someone can solve problems where the method is known but the answer not, one could look at how well someone can work out a method to solve something, one could look at how people are able to do multiple mental tasks simultaneously or you could test someone's reasoning and logic. These are four of many ways by which you could measure intelligence and someone who performs well may not do so well on another and the same is true for many other traits.

Using myself as an example I would say that I do not have only one trait of note. I enjoy mathematics, reading, engineering and badminton fairly evenly (and am incompetent to fairly similar degrees) and I would not say that I could be pigeonholed as having one of those as my 'foremost trait'.
Reply 19
Im just using it to provide proof that intelligence is not plentiful in the majority of people like how you claimed everyone satisfies those requirements

I didn't say everyone 'satisfies those requirements', I said pretty much everyone (i.e. most people) are more complex than any one instance of your list.

Quick Reply

Latest