The Student Room Group

My family don't want me spending £500+ on a phone

So I've been wanting a new phone for a while and I'm still using my iPhone 8 Plus I've got since 2018. Initially was going to treat myself for a new phone, maybe like the iPhone 11 or 12 plus for my 22nd birthday in March but my family are completely against this, as they said they don't want me to waste my money on a phone.
The phone I'm currently using is a contract payed by a relative of mine who will stop the contract when it's ended, she told me to wait until my upgrade. My upgrade isn't till the end of this year.. :/ But I don't get it, what's the point if she isn't going to continue paying? I might as well buy myself a phone to use, sell my current phone and use the money as well and my savings towards a new one.
They also don't want me to go crazy with my money because it is the last year of student finance (I'm currently in uni) but if I need something, I need something. Last year, I bought myself a MacBook because my previous laptop stopped working, this was essential. I would like a new phone as my current one is almost at its sell by date and is literally running very slow.
Should I wait until the prices of the phones decrease before I buy it upfront? Or should I just wait until my contract ends and sort it from there? Advice needed.

Scroll to see replies

Firstly-if your phone is still under contract you possibly can’t actually sell it.

Secondly if it still works then your family are right, it’s a waste of money.

Thirdly - in a year the deals will be better and you can get a contract you pay yourself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Nobody needs a £500 phone. Spend £100 and use the rest to make other people's lives happy,
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been wanting a new phone for a while and I'm still using my iPhone 8 Plus I've got since 2018. Initially was going to treat myself for a new phone, maybe like the iPhone 11 or 12 plus for my 22nd birthday in March but my family are completely against this, as they said they don't want me to waste my money on a phone.
The phone I'm currently using is a contract payed by a relative of mine who will stop the contract when it's ended, she told me to wait until my upgrade. My upgrade isn't till the end of this year.. :/ But I don't get it, what's the point if she isn't going to continue paying? I might as well buy myself a phone to use, sell my current phone and use the money as well and my savings towards a new one.
They also don't want me to go crazy with my money because it is the last year of student finance (I'm currently in uni) but if I need something, I need something. Last year, I bought myself a MacBook because my previous laptop stopped working, this was essential. I would like a new phone as my current one is almost at its sell by date and is literally running very slow.
Should I wait until the prices of the phones decrease before I buy it upfront? Or should I just wait until my contract ends and sort it from there? Advice needed.

well I personally would agree with your family and the rest of this thread, it sounds like a ridiculous waste of money BUT in the same way it's none of my business how you spend your student finance, I don't think it's any of your family's business either - are you running all other purchases past them first? Are you in debt to them? Are they funding you at uni?
Original post by Anonymous

mate people here are hypocrites.. here is my honest opinion.
are you buying with your own money? do you really want it? Then buy it. it's your birthday treat yourself.
But also know you are paying a lot of money.
also, mate, you need to wait till the end of the contract to sell it.
sell it for as much as you can and budget and buy yourself a new phone.
don't spend that money to make someone else happy instead treat yourself.
Also, save some money. be happy.
Also mate you are 22 so stop getting your family to pay for your **** and start actually buying your ****.
Dont ever go crazy with your money obvs.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Firstly-if your phone is still under contract you can’t actually sell it.

Sorry to be a pedant, but this restriction tends to expire after the first 6 months.
I've always wondered what a £500 phone can do that my £100 phone can't. But I don't think I will ever waste the money to find out.
Original post by IWMTom
Sorry to be a pedant, but this restriction tends to expire after the first 6 months.

Not for any I have had but I’m not an expert.
Perhaps it’s just that you’re not meant to.
(edited 3 years ago)
Your post doesn’t paint you in a favourable light.
Reply 9
Not for any I have had but I’m not an expert.
Perhaps it’s just that you’re not meant to.

The contract usually states for the first 6 months you cannot sell the device. After that point it's up to you.
Original post by IWMTom
The contract usually states for the first 6 months you cannot sell the device. After that point it's up to you.

My contracts have always stated that for the full term.
Perhaps it depends on the provider.
Reply 11
My contracts have always stated that for the full term.
Perhaps it depends on the provider.

I'm afraid I doubt that very much. Which provider was this?
no point getting a new phone
i would wait until your phone is broken or something
Original post by Lazarus38
Nobody needs a £500 phone. Spend £100 and use the rest to make other people's lives happy,

No one needs a £100 phone. Use a £10 dumb phone.

I mean, the argument can be applied to so many things. Some people are just willing to pay a premium for something better. Maybe try and give reasons why the OP shouldn't rather than just saying, nope, it's a waste, don't bother.
Original post by IWMTom
I'm afraid I doubt that very much. Which provider was this?

Virgin- says it in my contract.
Reply 16
Virgin- says it in my contract.

What does it say specifically? The latest Terms and Conditions I've received state....

"Your mobile handset and any other device belongs to you at the point of delivery, if your application is online or by phone, or when it is provided to you if your application is in store."
Firstly-if your phone is still under contract you can’t actually sell it.

Secondly if it still works then your family are right, it’s a waste of money.

Thirdly - in a year the deals will be better and you can get a contract you pay yourself.

Exactly
Well, I just spent £1,800 on my latest phone, paying outright. So, I can't say much about not buying an expensive phone... :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Joshkav
Well, I just spent £1,800 on my latest phone, paying outright. So, I can't say much about not buying an expensive phone... :biggrin:

I'm sorry, how much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending