The Student Room Group

What happens if you faint when skydiving?

before you've opened up the parachute??
im just curious lol..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vix.xvi
im just curious lol..

It depends whether you're supervised by an instructor or not. If you are, then you can expect them to intervene. If not you're going to hit the ground without one. Sorry.
Original post by CletusPotter
It depends whether you're supervised by an instructor or not. If you are, then you can expect them to intervene. If not you're going to hit the ground without one. Sorry.

:redface:
Original post by vix.xvi
:redface:

I'm glad to know that you can see the funny side. :biggrin:
Just googled and there is an automated mechanism that triggers the parachute after a certain time or below a certain altitude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_activation_device

If this is disabled yes you'll go splat

You won't get to the point of jumping solo if you're the faint type of person. Very rare.
Original post by _gcx
Just googled and there is an automated mechanism that triggers the parachute after a certain time or below a certain altitude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_activation_device

Or for that matter if it's enabled but fails.
Or for that matter if it's enabled but fails.

Would like to imagine that the failure rates for something like that are fairly low!
Original post by vix.xvi
im just curious lol..

I imagine it depends how high you are. But id think you would continue to accelerate until you reach terminal velocity & eventually smash i to the earth causing certain death.
Original post by vix.xvi
im just curious lol..

u fkin die obviously
Original post by _gcx

What if you landed on a trampoline wouldnt die then would you. THats a free mars trip trip
Original post by vix.xvi
im just curious lol..

Is that you in the picture?
Original post by DiamondYeti
What if you landed on a trampoline wouldnt die then would you. THats a free mars trip trip

Id think the energy of impact would almost certainly cause one of the trampoline fabric or the springs to fail. Death would be inevitable assuming the parachute failed to deploy and the altitude was not trivial.
Original post by mnot
Id think the energy of impact would almost certainly cause one of the trampoline fabric or the springs to fail. Death would be inevitable assuming the parachute failed to deploy and the altitude was not trivial.

Im not talking about a walmart trampoline, a massive 300m radius trampoline
This is assuming one faints but does not come to their senses shortly afterwards, which is somewhat unlikely I think - you see in e.g. rollercoaster cam videos of people fainting that they usually come to a few seconds later.
Original post by artful_lounger
This is assuming one faints but does not come to their senses shortly afterwards, which is somewhat unlikely I think - you see in e.g. rollercoaster cam videos of people fainting that they usually come to a few seconds later.

Yes but can one do the oneing if one is the only one minus 2?
Original post by DiamondYeti
Im not talking about a walmart trampoline, a massive 300m radius trampoline

I still predict the maximum tensile stress the fabric can absorb wont support such a collision, I still think death.
Original post by mnot
I still predict the maximum tensile stress the fabric can absorb wont support such a collision, I still think death.

Lol are u doing a physics degree or something
Original post by vix.xvi
Lol are u doing a physics degree or something

I come from mechanical engineering & work in thermodynamic research now.

Quick Reply

Latest